Downsides of Working From Home

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think they should be required. I am an Online teacher, and as much as I love my job, it is definitely not the best solution for every student.

Having said that, I do hope that this spurs upgrades in the technological infrastructure so that it is an OPTION for every student. I also think that having training and practice in this is good for everybody, just in case a similar situation happens again. Heck, just avoiding having to make up snow days at the end of the year would be nice.
Not only that, it’s not a solution for every CLASS. Some things are better taught face to face, in groups. Some things can’t be taught remotely with any efficiency.

But worst case scenario- years or decades of no vaccine, no treatment, and no long-term post-exposure immunity- 30 students per classroom from 9-5 in schools of 3000 students isn‘t going to be sustainable.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And the Recession. I remember all the road projects going on. building a better digital infrastructure is worth the time and money now.

It isn't that simple, at all. Because the roads are owned by the states and communities in which they live. Our digital infrastructure, on the other hand, is based on some very complicated leasing arrangements with various companies that provide internet services. Government(s) cant' just put people on it, because they don't own it.

And, more importantly - put up all the wire you want, you still need a service at the end of that wire, and the ISPs are not running those services for free. Also note that the FCC has stepped back from governing ISPs like common utilities, so the public cannot mandate their policies.

But then you have the issue of getting broadband to every kid, which is not a minor task.
It would provide a nice pretext for expanding broadband infrastructure to rural areas, which has already been an issue in rural America.

ISP's have long been reluctant to run the cables (either fiber optic or coaxial) to rural areas for broadband, leaving them stuck with either dial up, DSL, or satellite internet. Educational necessity would be a way to force the issue.

It isn't that simple, at all. Because the roads are owned by the states and communities in which they live. Our digital infrastructure, on the other hand, is based on some very complicated leasing arrangements with various companies that provide internet services. Government(s) cant' just put people on it, because they don't own it.

And, more importantly - put up all the wire you want, you still need a service at the end of that wire, and the ISPs are not running those services for free. Also note that the FCC has stepped back from governing ISPs like common utilities, so the public cannot mandate their policies.
That was about ruling they could fall under common carrier provisions. They can still mandate the policies if
1. The FCC commissioners vote to change their policy.
2. Congress explicitly gives them that authority.

One way or the other, expanding internet to rural areas will take legislative action. . .both in giving the FCC a mandate to the subject, probably subsidizing the process, and if needed, approving the use of eminent domain for the utility easements to put the cables through.

Saying it's for educational necessity due to an increase in distance learning from the COVID-19 pandemic is a good reason for that legislative action, though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That was about ruling they could fall under common carrier provisions. They can still mandate the policies if
1. The FCC commissioners vote to change their policy.
2. Congress explicitly gives them that authority.

And those things are terribly unlikely to happen in the next few months.

Saying it's for educational necessity due to an increase in distance learning from the COVID-19 pandemic is a good reason for that legislative action, though.

Yes it is. However, "good reason" really doesn't make things happen all that often.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Definitely not an overnight thing; not a flip of a switch.

But it could still happen with lightning speed compared to most government action. If Covid-19 is the catalyst, I’d say the actual groundwork will be initiated during the next administration, regardless of who is actually in office.

All it would really take is a lawsuit with expedited review making it to the SCOTUS after the war between mandated schooling and pandemic-induced long-term social distancing became manifest. Call it...24-36 months.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If Covid-19 is the catalyst, I’d say the actual groundwork will be initiated during the next administration...

And that's great. Not even starting on it until next year (and finishing it goodness knows when) makes it a poor candidate for dealing with the absolutely massive unemployment spike we are currently experiencing, though.

This. My computer is in the coldest room in the house, because that's where the only available wired connection is (one of the "charms" of a hundred-year old house). Going wired really makes a difference for online videopresence, whether for work or for gaming.

If you have garbled video when you are doing it, my guess is you are using wireless. Or have a crappy home internet and other people using it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And that's great. Not even starting on it until next year (and finishing it goodness knows when) makes it a poor candidate for dealing with the absolutely massive unemployment spike we are currently experiencing, though.
No argument there.

Nebulous

Legend
Zoom is cheap and good - one person with a $15/mo subscription can do unlimited 100 person meetings. We use it to play several RPGs, and we did a 44 person surprise 50th birthday party (along with word/speaking based games).

At first glance, I thought you said you did a 44 person surprise birthday RPG! I was like, wow, how does that even work? :D

Remove ads