• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

SSuser

Explorer
I really don't like the Alchemist. It's not a broken class, I just don't care for it.

Meh.

When I think of Dr. Jekyll, sure I think of an alchemist, craft (alchemy) done. Now for Mr. Hyde. I think more like brute strength, melee, uncontrollable rage. I don't believe Mr. Hyde could be represented well with the Alchemist.

I'd handle it in a different way. I'd make it a Barbarian variant class, that to "rage" you drink a potion and it turns you into something like a mongrelman. You'd brew the potions yourself. Duration of the potion should parallel the barbarian rage class feature. As you level you could make slightly different types, one for low light, one with a pincer (sundering) attacks, one with a tentacle (reach) attacks. Even incorporating abilities from multiple potions as you gain in levels. Anyone else who drinks one of these potions makes a fortitude save or is sickened (no passing out potions to the group). I cracked open the APG and the first totem rage power seemed to almost fit.

Beast Totem (Su): While raging, the barbarian gains a +1 natural armor bonus. This bonus increases by +1 for every four levels the barbarian has attained. A barbarian must have the lesser beast totem rage power to select this rage power. A barbarian must be at least 6th level to select this rage power.

Beast Totem, Greater (Su): While raging, the barbarian gains the pounce special ability, allowing her to make a full attack at the end of a charge. In addition, the damage from her claws increases to 1d8 (1d6 if Small) and the claws deal x 3 damage on a critical hit. A barbarian must have the beast totem rage power to select this rage power. A barbarian must be at least 10th level to select this rage power.

Beast Totem, Lesser (Su): While raging, the barbarian gains two claw attacks. These attacks are considered primary attacks and are made at the barbarian’s full base attack bonus. The claws deal 1d6 points of slashing damage (1d4 if Small) plus the barbarian’s Strength modifier.

I'd bet if you sat down with your DM and hammered out an alternate barbarian class, one based off of the APG guidelines, you would be much happier with the results. You could even throw in a fortitude roll with the potion. Something beneficial if you pass, minor hindrance if you fail. Possibly affecting the duration, or a +2/-2 to a stat. Roll a one and you blindly attack the nearest creature(s). Roll a 20 and you get twice the benefit of the potion.

Fun Mongrelman Generator.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Having played an Alchemist/Master Chymist through 12th level, I'd have to say the concept works VERY well.

Some thoughts on effectiveness...

--Focus on the melee combat. To this end, use Alchemimst/Vivisectionist from Ultimate Magic, focus ability scores on STR/DEX/CON, and only put enough into INT to ensure you can take 3rd level extracts (approximately a 13 INT).
--Pick up a level or two of Barbarian, and extra rage if need be. Drunken Brawler and Invulnerable Rager Archetypes for Barbarian fit the archetype well, and a mutagen-hyped and raging Alchemist is an unbelievable sight (you could easily have a 26 STR for several combats per day by 3rd level).
--Take Feral mutagen and power attack as soon as possible. Follow this up with three uses of Alchemical Allocation the strongest Magic Fang Potion you can afford, to make your claw and bite attacks magically powerful for the majority of the day.
--Make sure you take Master Chymist as soon as possible. This is the lynchpin class of the whole thing.

Your focus in this scenario is not on being the best alchemist ever, it's the focus on being a raging engine of destruction. I split my resources evenly between being a "mad bomber" and being "Mr Hyde", and I did pretty well - though not very optimized, and that helped spell my end unfortunately. However, following the above ideas, you could make a Mr Hyde who is the equal of most any otpimized fighter or barbarian in combat.

tylermalan

First Post
Great stuff, Henry. I decided not to play this character for the game I started, but it is definitely on my list to play next! Or if I die... here's hoping! :D

tylermalan

First Post
My other character is dead, so I'm throwing this guy together now. A change since I made this thread is that I now have access to both Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Then you can be a Vivvesectionist, hurray! You may also want to do Beastmorph archetype from UC, it gets some pretty nice things. I just really like the Internal Alchemist, though, and while iirc they can both stack, part of Internal Alchemist's benefit is making your poison save bonus / immunity apply to disease as well, so...

What level are you starting this character at? Do you think you'd rather do a intimidate based-concept, poison use, archery, or something else? If intimidate, is Cornugon Smash an option? Whether it is or not, you may want the more feat intensive path: Enforcer (APG) + Bludgeoner (UC) to make your claws and bite nonlethal whenever you want + Sap Adept (UC) + Sap Master (UC). Going for Shatter Defenses (requires 2 other feats) would also obviously be nice. Lot of feats to get, though.

tylermalan

First Post
Well, I'm starting at level 6 and want to use the Beastmorph archetype. I'm going pure melee damage via mutagens. I've got a 7 charisma, so since Intimidate is not a class skill for Alchemists, I think that's a bad route for this character. I've been trying to come up with more feats other than Power Attack that make me more dangerous in combat, but can't really come up with anything.

When an beastmorph alchemist is level 6 and makes a mutagen, does he get one ability from alter self and two abilities from beast shape? Or do the two abilities from beast shape take the place of the ability that the alchemist used to gain from alter self? Also, can the alchemist choose (as one of the abilities granted) the stat bonuses?

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Certainly take Power Attack for when you can't SA or the foe is immune, but I would never risk the increased chance of missing on a round of attacks I could sneak attack with.

AFAIK, the higher level Beastmorph features overlap the older ones, you don't get both. And I have no idea if you can choose the ability score bonuses. I'm almost certain the RAI on that is "no," but it is written very poorly.

Sounds like intimidate and poisoning are both out for you. Well, you should certainly get a Tumor Familiar by/before level 7 and immediately take Improved Familiar (all the best outsider ones tend to come online at 7, my favorite is Silvanshee). Check if your DM will allow you to take Extra Talent for any Rogue talent if you pick one of the choices Viv. Alchemist offers (since you then possess a Rogue talent you presumably meet the feat requirement). There really isn't much in the way of good rogue talents, but you might find stuff you like, and Extra Discovery is always an option, lots of good discoveries. For possible rogue talents, I do rather like Cunning Trigger + the one that lets you lay out traps quickly. If you can sneak around and set up the place of battle with traps, that would be amusing if not terribly powerful. Maybe something more for your "Dr. Jekyll" to engage in, to show him using his wits.

tylermalan

First Post
I decided not to go with Viv Alchemist due to flavor, so sneak attacking is out for me. But that means that the more overt combat feats are in, so any advice on those?

Remove ads