Dr Midnight's Keep on the Shadowfell - Unbelievably updated on 7/30

Dr Midnight

Explorer
We played! Yayyy. Session 3 went off tonight. It went very well, but the combats are still taking way too long for my liking... in my experience 4e combat hasn't been faster than 3e at all. Simpler, yes. Not faster. A lot less predictable. After last time, where the party breezed through an EL6 encounter, an EL2 was nearly a TPK.

The players were rolling horribly.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Session 3 – Chapter 1
The Good Life
_______________​

The party returned to Winterhaven. They walked through the gates winded and tired, but feeling fine. “I am going to celebrate tonight, let me tell you,” Greldo muttered. Moltezom grunted in agreement.

“We should visit Padraig, get paid and get a room,” Gloraen said.

“Right,” Osivan nodded. “What do we do about the letter detailing the spy in Winterhaven and this Kalarel fellow?”

“We should start to feel out the town, I suppose. Look for people who have recently moved into the area. Ask questions. First, though… the lord’s manor.”

They reached Lord Padraig’s estate and were ushered straight in. Padraig greeted them with a smile. “Well! That didn’t take long at all… you only left this morning. Have you wiped out the kobold encampment?”

Gloraen replied. “Yes we have, I’m pleased to report.”

“Have you brought proof, as I asked?”

“Of course. Lathon?”

Lathon reached into his satchel and withdrew a hunk of something moist. He dropped it in the center of Padraig’s desk with a wet plop. It was Irontooth’s jaw, ripped entirely from its moorings in the goblin’s skull. The metallic teeth glinted dully in the light.

Padraig recoiled in horror. The chunk of goblin meat was seeping through several important documents that the lord had arrayed across his desktop. He’d been signing and stamping several property forms that had taken a scribe most of the day to draw up. All were now splattered with slightly coagulated goblin blood. “Uh,” Padraig stammered. “That’s fantastic. Thank you very much.”

Greldo leaned back in a chair, put his feet up on the desk and grinned. “I hesitate to bring up the unpleasant matter of our payment, but…”

“Yes, of course.” The lord fumbled in his desk drawers for a moment and withdrew a leather pouch. He handed it to Greldo. “Feel free to count it if you like.” Greldo began to open the bag.

“That won’t be necessary,” Gloraen said, eyeing the halfling.

“Well then, if we have no further business, I believe I have some items on my agenda I must tend to. Err… will you take… that?” He gestured to the jaw sitting on his desk.

Lathon shrugged and took the jaw. Padraig politely led them to the door, bidding them farewell. Once they were gone and the door was closed, he returned to his desk. He stared at it for some moments before sighing and sweeping the contents of his desktop into the waste pail.

The adventurers went to Wrafton’s Inn and paid for another night’s lodgings.

Once inside the room, Gloraen opened the leather pouch they’d received from Lord Padraig. They crowded around the pouch and looked inside. One hundred gold pieces lay heaped in the bag. Greldo reached in slowly, reverently, and withdrew a piece. He held it up and savored the way the color of gold turns in the light. “We have money,” Gloraen said in amazement.

“At last!” Moltezom grinned.

Osivan had never seen so much money in one place before. “What do we do first?”

Greldo flicked his gold piece into the air and caught it with a flourish. “Follow me.”

Osivan muttered “This is the life.”

The party was lazing around a luxury private room at the House of Whispers, a local bordello. They were wearing lush bathrobes and sipping wine from crystal goblets. Prostitutes fluttered around them like moths, tending to their requests for pillows and more canapé.

Moltezom was having his beard braided. He said “You can certainly see how adventuring is a life to aspire to, eh?”

“Absolutely, my friend.” Greldo was grinning around a cigar and getting a footrub from an exotic elf dressed in silks. “I can’t think of a finer way to end our first expedition.”

“It certainly is rewarding,” Gloraen said uncomfortably. His and Lathon’s positions as holy men in the service of Bahamut were conflicting with the setting. “I’m not sure about how I feel about engaging the services of… employees of a… house of ill repute.”

“Oh knock it off already,” Greldo laughed. “We’re not engaging them for those talents. We’re merely being tended to by a flock of attractive women, who are being well paid for their labors. Isn’t that right, Avilyn?”

The elf at his feet nodded. “That’s right, honey.”

The halfling blew a plume of cigar smoke toward the ceiling. “Think of them as chambermaids. Gorgeous, wonderfully proportioned chambermaids.” Gloraen rolled his eyes. Greldo relaxed for a moment more, then asked the prostitute at his feet “Hey doll. Who would you say is the most recent permanent resident here in town?”

The elf blinked. It was a strange question, but in her business odd requests were an everyday thing. She shrugged. “The dwarf that runs the smithy has only been in town for a year or so. Thair Coalstriker. He comes in sometimes.”

“Coalstriker. He’s our most likely candidate for an informant. We start with him. For now, though… does anyone feel like doing some real drinking?”

“Oh, hell yes I do.” Moltezom, his beard freshly braided, stood up and stretched. “This has been great, but two hours of sipping this sparkling white wine is enough. I want a dwarf’s drink dammit.”

“A cold beer sounds like just the thing,” Osivan said. “Let’s go.”

The party walked into Wrafton’s Inn and saw that at nighttime, the tavern room was filled with townsfolk and travelers. Laughter, jokes and boasts filled the air. “Well!” Greldo said. “This looks like a fun place. I can’t believe we didn’t leave our room last night.”

Osivan noted that a dwarf was among the rabble. His hands were stained with soot… the mark of a blacksmith. He nudged Greldo, who nodded.

Moltezom slapped the bar and smiled at Salvana, the proprietor. “Evenin’! How about a round for everyone, on us?”

Patrons all around the room turned and saluted the group with their beer steins and a raucus cheer. Some came up and thanked them for the drink. A gentleman in his mid-sixties approached them. “Hey, thanks for the drink!” He hiccupped and took a swig of his ale. “Thass the nicest thing anybody’s done that anyone’s ever done.”

“Uh, no problem, sir,” Gloraen said.

“My name’s Eilian. They call me Eilian the Old around town. Can you believe that?” Gloraen didn’t know how to respond. Fortunately for him, Eilian wasn’t waiting and began talking again. “So what are you, who’s your party’s name? Are you adventurers? Adventurers gotta have a party name. Am I right? Whatcha doing here in Winterhaven?”

Greldo sidled away from the cleric and the drunken man. He kept to the walls, watching the dwarf he suspected to be Thair Coalstriker, who was sitting at the bar and drinking. The dwarf didn’t seem to be watching anyone else in a manner that would suggest he was a spy… but then, an accomplished spy wouldn’t appear to be glancing about with shifty eyes. A tall, thin bald man wearing purple-gray robes sat beside Thair at the bar. The two exchanged words for a minute, then the bald man finished his drink and walked away.

The two could be trading secrets, Greldo thought to himself. The tall man certainly didn’t fit in with the surrounding townsfolk. A fine candidate for a lieutenant that an informant might report to… but here in public? This would bear more investigation. “Moltezom,” Greldo whispered. “What say we make friends with Mr. Coalstriker?”

“Sounds fine to me,” Moltezom burped. “I like friends.”

A hand slapped on Thair’s shoulder. The dwarf turned to see another dwarf, the one in the adventuring party here in town, standing there with a drink. Behind him stood a halfling. “Hello!” The dwarf bellowed. “I’m Moltezom. This is Greldo. Hey, that’s a fine handcrafted belt buckle you’ve got there, did you make it?”

“Well met! I’m Thair. No, I’m afraid I bought this.”

“Ahh, my mistake. I thought your hands marked you for a blacksmith.”

“I am, actually. I do weapon and armor repairs, general metalworking. I don’t make things, though.”

“No?” Greldo asked. “So you repair things, but you don’t MAKE anything? No swords, no shields? That sounds odd to me.”

“It’s not odd,” Thair said coldly without as much as a look. “I haven’t been smithing for that long.” It was clear that he didn’t care to speak to the halfling.

“Moltezom,” Greldo said, “would you say it’s odd to find a dwarven blacksmith who only deals in repairs?”

“It’s uncommon, but not unheard of. Most dwarves who choose a profession choose it early and for life, though, so what’s odd to me is that you only picked up smithing recently. What did you do before you took up iron and hammer?”

Thair took a long drink of his beer. Finally he said “Hey, that’s a fine braid-job you’ve got there.” He gestured to Moltezom’s beard. “Do it yourself?”

“No, I had one of the girls down at the House of Whispers do it.”

Thair laughed. “Well, it seems I’m going there for the wrong reasons.”

Moltezom thought for a moment. “Hey, we’ve got a few items that are in need of repair. Can we drop in on you for your services?”

“Surely, first thing in the morning I’ll be open. My smithy’s the next building over. Can’t miss it.”

Back at the table, Eilian was droning on about farming and fields. “And barley! The thing about barley is that it’s… if you don’t… what I mean to say is that you gotta harvest that stuff at the right time or else the whole crop goes to ruin. The WHOLE CROP!”

Moltezom and Greldo came back. “We didn’t learn much, but there’s something off about him,” the halfling sighed.

Lathon nodded. “We’ve found out all we can for the evening, I’m thinking.”

“That’s fine, I’ve had enough of the adventurer’s life for one day.” Moltezom yawned.

Eilian was continuing to speak throughout all this, now going into the importance of owning land that was properly tilled and aerated. Gloraen glanced at him wearily. “Yes, I’ve had quite enough myself. Let’s call it a night.”

The group retreated to their room and fell asleep under the eaves of Wrafton’s Inn. Winterhaven dozed along with them.

Next Time

OHHH YEAH, WE'RE IN A HURRY​

Last edited:

carborundum

Adventurer
Argh! I can't believe you left it with such a cliffhanger! I don't trust that filthy dwarf an inch! What will happen next? Will they run out of reward within 24 hours of receiving it? Was the blood on the documents a social engineering trick so the party can read his notes from the garbage?

I can't wait for an update!!!

renau1g

First Post
It's definitely interesting seeing your characters at this point and seeing their actions. My PC's just ran through a similar encounter in the tavern. They were there on the first night in town together after defeating Irontooth. The rogue was very streetwise and found out that Thair and Bairwin haven't been getting along. Being somewhat chaotic (and low on funds) the rogue kept buying drinks for the dwarf, until he was sufficiently drunk and coerced him into taking out his aggression on Bairwin. Thair rolled a 20 on his hit and knocked out the other merchant. After this the rogue used his Thievery to pick his pockets and found the coin purse + a unholy symbol of Shar (running it in FR). During this time the elven ranger was attempting to pick up the other elf in the bar....aka Ninaran, but are now going to run into the cultists in the city (from the Dungeon article).

Last edited:

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Session 3 – Chapter 2
Regarding Shadowfell Keep
_______________​

The adventurers woke to the smell of bacon wafting under their door. They strapped on their armor, collected their things and wound down the stairs.

“That smells amazing,” Moltezom said, savoring the air.

Wrafton’s Inn in the morning was another affair. Dusty sunlight filtered through the windows, cut with lazily whickering shadows of the branches in the Imdrian wind. The haze of cooked food hung in the air and around the tavern sat a few quiet townsfolk eating breakfast.

They got plates of food and mugs of hot coffee and sat at a table. They ate fully, each feeding the ache in their muscles from the combat the day before.

“So what’s the plan?” Osivan asked.

Gloraen thought for a moment and said “I think we should split up. Lathon, you and I will head back to Padraig’s. We don’t seem to have a good handle on the spy situation. Perhaps if we speak to the Lord, he might have some good ideas. We should maybe show him the letter, too. Moltezom and Greldo are going to the smithy to further investigate Thair Coalstriker.”

Moltezom said “I have an idea to draw out the spy. Watch.” He cleared his throat and spoke loudly. “Golly, I had a dream last night about a man named Kalarel! I wonder who that could be?” He smiled broadly as heads turned around Wrafton’s to stare at the dwarf that had broken the silence.

Gloraen glowered at the fighter. “I wish you hadn’t done that. We could stand to play this a lot more subtly, you know.”

Moltezom’s eye had caught something, though. To his left, in the corner of the tavern, was an elf woman seated alone. Every patron of the Inn had stared at him, but only the elf woman had slowly lowered her drink when he’d said the name Kalarel. “I think I caught a fish,” he said excitedly. He gestured to the elf. “She seemed very interested.”

Lathon stood and walked to the elf. She was rather plainly dressed in woodland skins. She had an unstrung longbow strapped across her back. She had curtains of dark hair on either side of her head, and she noted the dragonborn’s approach with visible distaste.

“Good morning,” Lathon said.

“Mnn.”

“Did that name mean anything to you?”

“I have nothing to say to you. I’m trying to enjoy my drink.”

“I said did that name, Kalarel, mean…”

“Leave me alone before I’m forced to call for the town guard.”

Lathon walked back to the table. “She’s less than friendly.”

“Oh well.” Gloraen finished his coffee and stood up. “Let’s get moving. We’ll meet up later.”

A well-carved wooden sign hung on the front of the building.

Winterhaven Blacksmith Services

Thair Coalstriker, proprietor

Thair was banging rhythmically against some lump of hot metal laid on his anvil, whistling a tune while he worked in fresh air of the morning. He looked up to see Moltezom approaching, and he waved heartily. “Welcome, welcome. What have you got for me?” He scowled as he noticed that the halfling was watching from the distance.

Moltezom seemed unprepared for the question. “What?”

“To fix. You said you had items in need of repair, yes?”

“Oh! Yes. Umm… it’s… yes. My maul. Take a look.” He took out his battle maul and handed it across the Thair.”

The blacksmith turned it over in his hands. “This doesn’t seem broken.”

“It’s seen some battle, perhaps you can take the nicks out of it.”

“Certainly, I can. I’ll charge five gold pieces. It’ll be ready tomorrow.”

Moltezom gaped. “Tomorrow? Must it be so long?”

“Yes, metal takes time to heat and work. I have other commissions as well, that I must see to. I can’t just do it while you wait.”

“I’m afraid I can’t be without this until tomorrow.” He took the maul back and pulled out some daggers. “Can you fix these?”

Thair said “These look brand new. I doubt they’ve even been used yet!”

Moltezom put those away too. “One was,” he said sheepishly.

Greldo appeared and took out several well-used throwing knives. “Fix these, then.”

Thair grumbled and took the knives. He hadn’t seen the halfling approach. “Five gold. Each.”

Greldo smirked. “Isn’t that what you were charging my dwarven friend to fix one maul? Aren’t daggers considerably smaller?”

“Five gold or no deal,” Thair sniffed.

“Fine,” Greldo said. He walked casually around the shop and studied Thair’s trappings. Ironworking tools, piles of different ores, coal and kindling. Everything seemed to suggest that Thair was, indeed, a blacksmith. Nothing seemed put on or out of place.

This was all in keeping with the cover of an excellent spy, Greldo reminded himself. He would have to pay closer attention.

Gloraen, Osivan and Lathon arrived at Lord Padraig’s manor. They were allowed inside, and Padraig greeted them somewhat less enthusiastically than he had the day before. “Hello, hello. Good morning.” He seated himself behind his desk and steepled his fingers. “Now, what can I do for you? I’d thought our business finished yesterday.”

“Well,” Gloraen began. “We’ve begun looking into some matters going on here in town and were wondering if you could be of any assistance. We’re looking for an informant.”

“An informant?”

“Yes, a spy dedicated to someone named Kalarel. Do you know who that might be?”

“Mmm, no. Who is this Kalarel?”

“We don’t know yet. We merely know of the name, and that there is a spy in Winterhaven.”

Padraig leaned forward in his seat, clearly interested. “I see. How did you come upon this information?”

Gloraen handed Irontooth’s letter to the lord, who began reading. “Irontooth… spy in Winterhaven suggests… …in a few days, I’ll completely open the rift… …then Winterhaven’s people will serve as food for all those our lord sends to do my bidding??” Padraig looked up from the letter, his face aghast. “In a FEW DAYS?”

“Um, yes.” Gloraen shifted uncomfortably. It was only now occurring to him that the letter suggested a time-sensitive nature to its threat. He thought quickly.

Padraig gestured angrily with the letter, shaking it at the three adventurers. “Can you tell me why this wasn’t brought to my attention IMMEDIATELY?”

“I’m sorry, my lord. There was so much loot from Irontooth’s horde that we just bagged it up and brought it back to inventory. We only discovered the letter this morning among the goods. We brought it straight here, of course.” The cleric’s eyes quickly met Lathon’s and the paladin seemed to understand. Lies and diplomacy were sometimes not far removed. Sometimes one had more use than another. It wouldn’t do to have Padraig raging on them due to a mistake… the lie meant a more constructive use of whatever time was left.

Padraig seemed to buy the bluff. “Dammit,” he muttered. “This isn’t dated, we don’t even know when this was sent… this could happen today.”

Osivan said “I’m sorry my lord, what is this rift?”

“Valthrun will know. Come.” Padraig bolted from his chair and hurried out the door. His face was turning white even as he walked.

The four stalked through the village. They collected Greldo and Moltezom on their way to the granite tower that was Winterhaven’s tallest structure. The dwarf and the halfling watched the hurried way Padraig walked with some alarm.

At the tower, Padraig banged on the wooden door. “Go away,” a voice shouted from a high window.

“Come down here and let us in, Valthrun.”

“I’m busy.”

“NOW, VALTHRUN, IT’S IMPORTANT!” They heard the sound of a book being angrily slammed shut. As they waited, the adventurers noted the townsfolk milling around town, eyeing their lord uncomfortably. They clearly didn’t see him in such an excited state often. The door to the tower opened. The man standing there, shading his eyes against the rays of the sun, was the bald man in the purple robes from the tavern the night before.

Padraig handed Valthrun the letter, and he began reading as he led the group into his tower. The interior was a surprisingly dark and dust-covered collection of detritus; things he’d cast aside into storage and forgotten. Chairs, boxes, crates, barrels, assorted junk. A staircase spiraled up around the wall of the tower, and Valthrun read as he climbed.

The second story was likewise dark. Daylight filtered in through a small vertical window, lighting upon another collection of dusty relics. This pile was different, though. It included items like old swords, cobwebbed staffs in an uncapped barrel, a group of crystal orbs of varying size, a large draped shape that looked to be a mirror, a clutch of arrows whose tips glowed in varying colors.

Valthrun began to mutter as he walked. “Oh dear. Ohhh dear.” The third floor was sufficiently homier. Candles hung in the air and desks lay cluttered with well-read tomes. The portions of wall that weren’t blocked by the staircase’s ascent to the fourth floor were covered with bookshelves. Valthrun walked straight to one of the bookshelves and took down two books. He handed the letter back to Padraig.

“So? What does this mean?” Padraig demanded impatiently. “What is this rift?”

“The rift,” Valthrun said as he flipped through one of the books, “is at the bottom of Shadowfell Keep.”

“The old castle? The ruins a couple of miles northeast of town?”

“The very one. That castle was built for one reason, and that was to guard the rift… a doorway to another plane. It was opened once, several years back, in the time of the Nareth Empire. Undead and darker things streamed out into our world. Several villages were overrun and destroyed. Only through the brave actions of the Narethan military was the site secured, and several dozen wizards labored long and hard to close the rift. It remains closed today. The Keep was home to nobles for generations, until a curious incident. Then…”

“I’m sorry,” Osivan interrupted. “A curious incident?”

“Yes, um…” Valthrun flipped through a few more pages. “Ahh. Lord Keegan went mad and slew his family and most of his servants before being slain by his own men.”

“Oh.” Osivan looked sorry to have asked.

“After this, the Keep was abandoned. It was deemed haunted and it fell into disrepair, serving only as a haven for crows. The rift remains, though, far beneath the surface. It was assumed that only a scattered few even knew of the rift’s existence and so the Keep was left to molder. It seems someone has learned of its existence.”

“What is this other plane that the rift serves as a gate to?” Padraig asked.

Valthrun opened his other book and flipped through several pages until he found a full-page illustration. “The plane is the Shadowfell itself, specifically the realm of… him.” He turned the book and showed the group. The illustration was a pen and ink drawing of an enormous pig-man with wide bat wings and goat legs. He held a human spine topped with a skull. “Orcus, a malign god. Demon prince of the undead.”

The blood drained from the lord’s face. “A gate is being opened to that?”

“It appears that way. If it opens, wave after wave of undead horror will wash over us, wiping Winterfell and much of the civilized world from the map. How much time do we have?”

“We don’t even know. Days, at best.”

“What’s the plan?”

Gloraen spoke up. “If I may, I had an idea. We can lure the spy out into the open with an elaborate ruse. If we feign our arrest and a caravan trip away from town in shackles, the spy will be easier for us to observe. We have a few strong suspects already, and we can sneak back by night and observe, from the rooftops, the comings and goings of…”

“You don’t understand,” Padraig said. “We don’t have time for any of this. You need to go in. Now.”

This surprised Gloraen. “Into the Keep?”

“Yes. We don’t have much time, but we need to send you in while we summon an adventuring party.”

“Summon an adventuring party?” Greldo asked, sneering. “What are we?”

“Your group served just fine for eliminating a handful of kobolds. We don’t even know what we’re up against. Cultists? Undead? We don’t know! No offense, but you lot are obviously new to the game and we need an experienced team to investigate as soon as possible. Until then, we need you to go in and soften up the resistance as best you can.”

“How much?” Greldo asked coolly.

“How much what? Are you seriously angling for cash at a time like this?” Padraig looked to the other adventurers, but they watched mutely as Greldo worked.

“Why not? You wouldn’t want us to leave, you have no one else. Say we go in, we succeed and slay the cultists. What would that be worth?”

The lord threw his hands up. “I don’t know. Whatever’s in the town’s coffers, certainly.”

“Done. Let’s go.”

The group stood up to leave. Behind them, Padraig continued to plan on sending an urgent message for, as he put it, a real adventuring group. “Pompous jackass,” Greldo muttered.

“Ignore him,” Osivan said. “He’s under a great deal of stress.”

The group left the gates of Winterhaven behind and walked on the road to the northeast.

Next time
TOTAL PARTY K... CLOSE CALL

jensun

First Post
I am picking Eilian as the spy. The annoying old man who everyone ignores or barely notices who can easily stand around talking drivel while listening in on all sorts of conversations.

renau1g

First Post
I have some inside knowledge of the spy ;), but I enjoy the candor so far between the characters and note how different we RP the same NPC's. Your a great DM from what I've seen/read and I'm taking notes, I just hope that you can get your games in faster than I can, so you pass where my group is. I'd like to "borrow" (ok... steal) some of your ideas.

Remove ads