Draconic Spellcaster: Seriously?!

webrunner

First Post
So this arcane power feat is triggered on the damage type it deals, not the keyword of the power? That's kind of strange.... it means a power without, eg, the cold keyword that does cold damage gets the effect, but a power with the cold keyword that doesn't deal damage (say, if it was just a slowing effect or something) doesn't..

It's also odd in that if you are a dragonborn sorceror and roll a chaotic attack and miss by one you still have to roll damage type to see if you actually hit...

frankthedm

First Post
You know what I am getting tired of? Cold magic, cold paragon paths, cold feats, cold weapons, cold epic destinies, etc. Somebody at WotC in design is freakin obsessed with cold.

Every dragonborn sorcerer will be a cold sorcerer with the cold sorcerer paragon path, all the cold feats, a cold dagger, cold breath, arcane admixture (cold) on their at-wills, and draconic spellcaster (cold of course).

I think I am ready for a different emphasis.:)
I'd suspect this is a reaction the previous situation of cold magic being uncommon. For a good portion of D&D history cold had been the rarest of Fire, Ice & Lightning. Plus fire resistant or immune creatures have often been quite common so the desire to get lots of cold spells was not always just a flavor issue. Playing a Cold themed caster had been hard up until 3E's energy substituting effects.

Remove ads