• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon 338: Returning to Athas, part1

Wik

First Post
So the proper actions of a fan releasing a version of an old setting for a new edition should be ... what? To simply re-release it verbatim with a few mechanical changes?

-O

No. But change just to satisfy your internal designer itch isn't a good thing, either. If you say you're a "fan" of something, it suggests that you're confident of the initial product's strengths. Saying you're a fan and then changing some of the conceits of the setting (and the feywild does, at least in my opinion, go against one of the implied conceits of the original setting) is not a good sign.

It's a lot like saying "hey, I'm a fan of the Karate Kid movies. I'm going to rerelease a karate kid movie! Only in my movie, we'll make the kid street smart and black - because that tracks well with audiences these days. And we'll set the story in China instead of the United States, because a martial arts competition makes more sense there. And we'll put Jackie Chan in as the martial arts instructor, because..."

There comes a point where you're not redesigning or polishing off some of the flaws of the original product, but are instead offering a "reimagining".

For the record, if WotC had said "hey, we're going to release a new setting that's kind of similar to the old Dark Sun setting" I'd be all over it. That'd be amazing.

But to say something is Dark Sun, that you're a huge fan of it, and then, in every blog update or post you make on the setting, you talk about how you're fixing some old "problem" that came up in the game, well, that comes off as being a bit iffy to me.

RodneyThompson

First Post
No. But change just to satisfy your internal designer itch isn't a good thing, either. If you say you're a "fan" of something, it suggests that you're confident of the initial product's strengths. Saying you're a fan and then changing some of the conceits of the setting (and the feywild does, at least in my opinion, go against one of the implied conceits of the original setting) is not a good sign.

I guess I am having a hard time seeing how the merest existence of a Feywild that is a) just as much a harsh desert as Athas is, b) is 99.9% destroyed, and c) only included for use if the DM wants to goes against the core conceits of the setting. Look, the original version of Dark Sun had the planes in it! It's not like having the planes in Dark Sun is any different than the original boxed set. We go to all the same trouble of limiting planar travel, as well--planar travel rituals are restricted, and the Gray acts as a barrier between Athas and the Astral Sea.

If you guys want to get all up on me for saying I'm a fan in a post, fine. I'll stop saying that. I have simply felt that Rich and I and the other designers have put a lot of time, effort, thought and love into coming up with the 4th Edition version of Dark Sun. Not to mention that people keep changing the goalposts; as soon as I point out that Athas wasn't cut off from the planes in the original boxed set, I get told that adherence to the strict version of 2E isn't as important as adhering to what Dark Sun could have been. Then hot on the heels of that post is someone saying that ONLY adherence to the strict details of the 2E version proves that you have confidence in the core conceits of the setting. I know that's two different people arguing the point, but when I respond to one person I get someone else saying, "See, this proves the designers are messing up the setting."

If some of the details are different, it's only because Dungeons & Dragons itself is different than it was 20 years ago, but at the same time I feel like we've been striving to provide a version of Dark Sun that stays true to all the things that made Dark Sun great.

vagabundo

Adventurer
I don't see the point in just re-releasing Dark Sun, the 2e version will always exist if people prefer it.

However any changes should add to the setting; and I think they have given Eladrin a strong theme in Dark Sun and it would be a shame to exclude them just because they weren't in the original setting.

The new Feywild is giving me some great story ideas.

One sorcerer-king has apparently found a way to siphon arcane energy off the remnants of the feywild, hastening its decline. The other sorcerer-kings rush to steel the secret from him, before he gains too much power over them.

In retaliation, the eladrin begin methodically, mercilessly and indiscriminately hunting down and assassinating any and all (what few there are) arcane spellcasters.

The PCs are caught in the middle.

I stole this awesome story hook from the Dark Sun plot thread.

Last edited:

Obryn

Hero
If fan is the company producing the official version? In my opinion, yes. Then, I am with KM and Aristotle on this one.
Wow.

Wik said:
So where's your litmus test here? How can you determine when someone's making a change for their "internal designer itch" as opposed to trying to add to the setting? Is it as simple as, "Anything that's in the 4e core setting that wasn't in the 2e implied core setting"?

I think this new Dark Sun Feywild stuff sounds pretty amazing. If I think it adds to the setting, am I no longer confident of the original product's strengths? Am I no longer a true fan of Dark Sun?

-O

Wik

First Post
I guess I am having a hard time seeing how the merest existence of a Feywild that is a) just as much a harsh desert as Athas is, b) is 99.9% destroyed, and c) only included for use if the DM wants to goes against the core conceits of the setting. Look, the original version of Dark Sun had the planes in it! It's not like having the planes in Dark Sun is any different than the original boxed set. We go to all the same trouble of limiting planar travel, as well--planar travel rituals are restricted, and the Gray acts as a barrier between Athas and the Astral Sea.

Yyup. And I hated the references to the planes there, too. I think they were added for the same reason the setting had the PHB races - the powers that be wanted a connection to other systems. You'll note that the planes did get phased out later on, giving athas its own cosmology of sorts.

I don't like the 99.9% destroyed feywild. If it's so destroyed, why include it at all? Because you need to have a justification for some of the 4eisms. But why include those at all? Because (and this is Rich's own words) you want to satisfy those who "always play Eladrin".

Fair enough. But no, I don't like. But easy to fix - it won't be in my game.

If you guys want to get all up on me for saying I'm a fan in a post, fine. I'll stop saying that. I have simply felt that Rich and I and the other designers have put a lot of time, effort, thought and love into coming up with the 4th Edition version of Dark Sun.

And I'm sorry if I came across as being rude. Trust me, I'm very happy you guys are putting this out - and my players will tell you that I've been singing your praises. 95% of what you are releasing is amazing, from what I've seen - but there are things I don't like. And yes, I'd much rather have a fan working on the system than a guy who does it as his "job".

This being the internet, and us being humans, we tend to pick on the negative, rather than focus on the positives. And I apologize for that.

Not to mention that people keep changing the goalposts; as soon as I point out that Athas wasn't cut off from the planes in the original boxed set, I get told that adherence to the strict version of 2E isn't as important as adhering to what Dark Sun could have been. Then hot on the heels of that post is someone saying that ONLY adherence to the strict details of the 2E version proves that you have confidence in the core conceits of the setting. I know that's two different people arguing the point, but when I respond to one person I get someone else saying, "See, this proves the designers are messing up the setting."

Yup. It's kind of a catch 22. And no matter what you do, people will hate on it.

My question here is this: why did 4e Dark Sun need a feywild? Or planes? Or tieflings? What I was trying to say earlier (and failed at) is this perspective:

1) Designer is a fan of the setting. Presumably, he is a fan of the setting for its strengths. If said designer is playing dark sun instead of planescape, we can assume he's not playing it for the planar quirks, or whatever else.
2) Designer gets assigned to work on the new 4e Dark Sun setting.
3) Designer uses all his public service announcements about the changes being made to the setting, using a "we need to fix this" or "how to implement 4e into this design" and then wonders why some fans fly into nerd rage.

By the way, I'm not saying I wouldn't make changes were I in your shoes. They'd just be different changes, that would be just as likely to alienate and anger some old school fans out there. (I'd tweak magic items, which I think you guys did too. I'd hint at city-states beyond the Tyr Region. I'd change magic around. I'd downplay the psionics. I'd make Templars powered by the Divine Power source. I'd keep random wild talents. And so on).

If some of the details are different, it's only because Dungeons & Dragons itself is different than it was 20 years ago, but at the same time I feel like we've been striving to provide a version of Dark Sun that stays true to all the things that made Dark Sun great.

And I really, REALLY hope you succeed. I'm pretty sure you guys will, though those Athas Desert Tiles make me nervous, what with all the water. ;)

Go nuts with the feywild, Eladrin, Tieflings, and all that stuff. I'll throw them right back out. But when you do introduce stuff I like (Dragonborn, for example, seem really cool) I'll keep them and sing your praises. I'm not expecting a verbatim copy of 2e - I'd actually complain if that happened, too! :)

What I am expecting is to have the new additions to be well thought out, valid, and to be something that reinforces the nature of athas. A magical desert that is just "the normal desert trumped to 11" does not do it to me. Because the desert already should be at 11.

Essentially, saying "the feywild is like a worse place than the current land" is bad beans - because Athas should be hell to begin with. And to make it a better place goes against that, too - because then everyone would want to go there, danger or no. So what's the point of it being there?

Wik

First Post
So where's your litmus test here? How can you determine when someone's making a change for their "internal designer itch" as opposed to trying to add to the setting? Is it as simple as, "Anything that's in the 4e core setting that wasn't in the 2e implied core setting"?

I think this new Dark Sun Feywild stuff sounds pretty amazing. If I think it adds to the setting, am I no longer confident of the original product's strengths? Am I no longer a true fan of Dark Sun?

-O

Good question.

First off, there are new additions I like. Dragonborn, for example. Those were well tied into the setting, and add to the setting's flavour. "Blink Elves", in my mind, do not - especially when tied to a Feywild.

So what's the litmus test?

The new design must be tied into the setting's themes and traits. It is not just added as a shortcut for design purposes. It must significantly add something to the gameplay experience for it to be there, to counteract the "nerd rage" that accompanies a change in an established setting. The situation must be able to be visualized by a casual player as belonging in that setting.

Using that, the athasian feywild does hit the first part (it is about apocalypse, survival, and all that). It does seem to be added as a shortcut, to explain why Eladrin exist and why many "feywild" powers are still around, but I'll leave this as a wash because it's not worth arguing about in this thread. Whether or not it adds something to the gameplay experience is debateable - I'd say it's not, because the designers, after adding it, went through the trouble of explaining why it's scattered and "99.9% gone". And I know I for one am having a hard time visualizing how a feywild "magical desert" is any different than an athasian one, or why that should be the case.

as for the whole "true fan" stuff, let's not do that. I haven't accused anyone of badwrongfun, or anything like that. Everyone's entitled to their opinions - I'm just not happy that precious page count is going to be devoted to something I'll most likely drop.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
People are being really nitpicky here, so lets cut to the bone - the problem isn't with Eladrin themselves, the problem is in the design that dictates Eladrin need to be added in some way, and that the Feywilde needs to be added in because of it.

Obryn

Hero
People are being really nitpicky here, so lets cut to the bone - the problem isn't with Eladrin themselves, the problem is in the design that dictates Eladrin need to be added in some way, and that the Feywilde needs to be added in because of it.
Would that be the same design that dictates that clerics, paladins, invokers, and avengers need to be added in some way?

owait...

-O

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads