• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon 365 - Bazaar of the Bizarre: The Treasure of Ashardalon

OMG - The Final Word Weapon! That's Fragarach from the 1e Temple of Elemental Evil, the Sworld that Robliar lost. They also appeared in 1e Unearthed Arcana. Very kewl nod to old school.

Doomhawk

First Post
Some really interesting items in there. The Belt of Mountain's Endurance is far stronger than a Belt of Vigor, though - I'm not sure if that means it's overpowered, or that the designers decided the Belt of Vigor was weak.
The Flask of Dragon's Breath also seems a little too good to be true - by higher levels, 680 gp is nothing, but it stays very powerful for clearing out minions. It seems like it should cost a healing surge or something to use.

hong

WotC's bitch
No wai, the final word power is a daily? That's wimpy. It should be encounter at least, seeing as it's the same cost as a vorpal weapon.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
The Belt of Mountain's Endurance is far stronger than a Belt of Vigor, though - I'm not sure if that means it's overpowered, or that the designers decided the Belt of Vigor was weak.

Mountain's Endurance reads: "When you spend a healing surge, ..."

Belt of Vigor does not - it simply increases your healing surge value, straight-up, no conditions.

That would seem to be the only difference. At first, I thought it meant that ME did not improve healing granted by others' powers - but those allow you to spend a healing surge... so I'm not really sure why the difference is important, if it is at all.

Also, ME has the daily power, whereas Vigor doesn't, so that's a plus in ME's favor, anyway.

Bagpuss

Legend
My minotaur fighter wants the flask of the dragon's breath! Unfortunately, it needs some clarification: what action is it to use the breath (I'd guess minor), and what defense does it attack (I'd guess Reflex).

If it was a minor action I would guess you could only do it once as an encounter power. The text seems to make it at-will. Which seems a bit strong for a level 3 item, unless it took a standard action.

Vanuslux

Explorer
If it was a minor action I would guess you could only do it once as an encounter power. The text seems to make it at-will. Which seems a bit strong for a level 3 item, unless it took a standard action.

Where do you get at-will from? It explicitly says it's a daily.

Bagpuss

Legend
Where do you get at-will from? It explicitly says it's a daily.

Power (Daily): Minor Action. Drink the elixir. At any point until the end of the encounter you can breathe fire, making a close blast 3 attack.

That can be read that once a day you can drink the potion. Once you have drunk the potion you then have the ability to breath fire until the end of the encounter. It doesn't say you can breath fire only once, only that you can drink the potion only once a day. It does say you can breath fire at any point until the end of the encounter.

It's very poorly worded.

Remove ads