• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon 372 - Design & Development: The Gnome, the Bad, and The Ugly

Cam Banks

Adventurer
NPC gnomes in Dragonlance are supposed to be nigh-ridiculous stereotypes of classic engineers in Real Life. PC gnomes aren't supposed to be that extreme.

I think the general consensus from WotC has been that it's much easier to handle tricksy fey-like gnomes, because you don't have to invent a whole new system of gadgets and technological stuff for them. I'm sure this is also why Lantan was wiped off the map in the Realms. Who needs Gondsmen anyway?

Cheers,
Cam
PS: I wrote a novel about a gnome. A Dragonlance gnome, even. He doesn't even runallofhiswordstogetherwhenhetalks.

ferratus

Adventurer
I'm in the process of making a dragonlance style tinker gnome. I'm making him a controller in contrast to Eberron's artificer. I'm also using the ranger's beastmaster build as inspiration for having an apparatus (as in an apparatus of Kwalish) to serve as his mechanical minion. Finally, the summoner build wizard is used as an inspiration for various humonculi that he can call for specific tasks.

Here is an example of an at-will:

Netflinger
Tinker Attack 1
This device is used by gnomes to capture live creatures for experiments that are best not thought about.
At Will; Technology, Invention
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: The target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.
Special: If you rolled a 20 on the attack roll, the target is also knocked prone.

and a utility:

Inflatable Wall
Tinker Utility 2
The latest thing in instant fortifications, a wall made of rubber and leather springs up out of a folded bag that you throw onto the ground.
Encounter ✦ Technology
Standard Action Area wall 8 within 10
Effect: You create a wall that consists of contiguous squares. It can be up to 8 squares long and up to 4 squares high. The inflatable wall blocks line of sight and blocks objects and creatures attempting to
pass through it. The wall lasts until destroyed. Attacks against the inflatable wall automatically hit and it has 1 hp.

and a daily:

Experimental Drug
Tinker Attack 1
You aren't exactly sure what this chemical in your syringe does yet, but that's why you need test subjects.
Daily; Technology, Invention;
Standard Action Melee
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d10 +Intelligence modifier damage. Roll a d6 to determine the attack's damage type and effect.

1. Black Lily Extract: Necrotic damage, and the target is weakened (save ends).
  2. Miracle Cure: Acid damage, and ongoing 5 acid damage (save ends).
  3. Compound X: Poison damage, and the target is blinded (save ends).
  4. Shimmerweed Solution: Radiant damage, and the target is dazed (save ends).
  5. White Dragon Blood: Cold damage, and the target is immobilized (save ends).
  6. Yaggol Brain Juice: Psychic damage, and the target takes a –2 penalty to AC (save ends).
Miss: 1d10 damage. Roll a d6 to determine the attack's damage type and effect, as above.

The point is to maintain the gnomish wackiness, but to make them an effective party member rather than an annoying liability. The chaos sorcerer I think was a pretty good reformation of the wild mage, so I figured the mechanic could be used to show the unreliability of gnomish technology, but still make it an effective PC.

So I guess my question would be to those who aren't fans of the tinker gnome, would this rehabilitate the gnome enough to make him fun or does the very idea of the tinker gnome turn you off?

Alas

First Post
I'm pleased to see that the gnome will be getting a little of the old cantrip magic back, even if it is just an encounter power.

Spatula

Explorer
Because it is not the "savage" that get along. It are the ones that are educated and curious that get along.
An oversimplification, depending on your definition of "savage," anyway. The Americas are filled with all sorts of native-european crossbreeds.

The problem really seems to be that some of the D&D designers (namely Chris Sims) really have no imagination when it comes to certain races; orcs have to be brutal, evil creatures and can't be "noble savage" types (like Eberron orcs).

Admiral Caine

First Post
Pardon me if this has already been answered elsewhere..

But this article indicates that there will be three new races.. BESIDES the gnome and half-orc.

Has there been any good leaks to indicate what those three races may be?

(I assumed the Warforged would be in the EBG)

An oversimplification, depending on your definition of "savage," anyway. The Americas are filled with all sorts of native-european crossbreeds.

The problem really seems to be that some of the D&D designers (namely Chris Sims) really have no imagination when it comes to certain races; orcs have to be brutal, evil creatures and can't be "noble savage" types (like Eberron orcs).
Because Orcs are intended as antagonists. That requires us to make them evil, like Goblins and Kobolds.

Of course we could change that and say that Orcs belong to the good guys.

Both choices are probably equally valid, I could certainly live with either. But the choice to not have Orcs as noble savages but as brutal, pillaging and murdering savages has been made, and in that context, unions with human tribes are unlikely.

We could also decide that Elves are actually pathological killers that hide in the forests and kill humans. But we already have Drow for that streak, except they hide in the underdark.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads