D&D 4E Dragon 421 is up! Level-by-level Multiclassing for 4e; Dragonlance Items; Draconian!

zoroaster100

First Post
Did anyone else find the Dragonlance magic items to be totally overpowered for the stated level? They had cool flavor but just seemed way over the top compared to similar level rare items. Seems they should have been higher level and/or artifacts/relics rather than rare magic items.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
The gist of it is that you can take a level in another class any time you gain a level, and you get whatever that class gets at that level (including hp) instead of what you'd normally get. No limit to the number of other classes you can MC into this way. You don't get any other benefit or class features of that class.

jbear

First Post
So you don't get say fighter weapon proficiency or armour if you take it at 2nd level but you would get a fighter utility power, right?

D'karr

Adventurer
Did anyone else find the Dragonlance magic items to be totally overpowered for the stated level? They had cool flavor but just seemed way over the top compared to similar level rare items. Seems they should have been higher level and/or artifacts/relics rather than rare magic items.

The article speaks of the rarity level in a very small sentence. Each of the items, except for the dragonlances, is supposed to be unique. The items are more "powerful". Think of them as between an artifact level item, and a rare level item and you're in the ballpark.

Last edited:

Dannager

First Post
There aren't many advantages I can think of, but being able to access articles in-browser on my smartphone would be one of them. There might be a plug-in that can take care of that, but it doesn't come with it.

Siberys

Adventurer
HTML pages can't be saved as easily as a PDF, and require all of the page's elements to be saved with it. The long and short of it is that for archiving purposes it'd be a pain.

Most modern browsers have a built-in PDF viewing method. What OS and browser do you use on your smartphone? I can view them just fine on my iPod - Safari or Chrome - though size is an issue. I'd personally rather read on a tablet or even laptop/desktop than a smartphone, though. :/

Balesir

Adventurer
The article speaks of the rarity level in a very small sentence. Each of the items, except for the dragonlances, is supposed to be unique. The items are more "powerful". Think of them as between an artifact level item, and a rare level item and you're in the ballpark.
Sigh, except that the difference between "artifacts" and "rare items" wasn't supposed to be "power level" in 4e. I think this has to be the most poorly understood part of the 4e system - especially by the designers at WotC - bar none.

One more time, from the original 4e stuff:

"Magic Items" are items that are in the province of the characters and players. PCs can make them. Characters can buy them (albeit they might be scarce and hard to source). They all have a level, which should be truly representative of their power. Later on they also have a "rarity" which, as far as I can tell, relates mainly to how laxly and thoughtlessly they are designed.

"Artifacts" are the province of the DM. They are unique or rare items that cannot be made (any more?). They relate to the world setting or the story, not to the characters. They might have intelligence and aims/goals of their own. They cannot, due to their uniqueness, readily be bought or sold. They do not have, nor do they need, a level - they turn up precisely when the DM means them to. Just like Wizards...

To the extent that the DL items fit each of these descriptions, as far as I'm concerned that is what they should be classified as. Note that Artifacts are not, necessarily, especially powerful. They can be as powerful as they need to be for their role in the story - no more and no less. That is, in essence, the point of them - they are not "party build" resources and so need not be designed as such.

This was such a brilliant and simple solution to such a long standing problem - and yet it was compromised even before 4e was consigned to ebay. Is it really so hard to understand???

Remove ads