Dragon Age RPG - some House Rules

Thanee

First Post
Hi there!

Recently, I have read through my DA boxed set 1, which has been sitting there for a while already.

Looks like a fun, solid game. :)

I did, however, notice some quirks in the mechanics, which I would prefer to change.

I havn't played the game, yet, so this is purely theoretical.

What do you think?

Quirks and Fixes:

1) Brawling & Staves are always based on Dexterity.

FIX: Brawling & Staves are also available as a Strength Focus. They are learned seperately.

2) The Dragon Die giving margin of success is alright, even though it is quite random, but it bothers me, that the higher the difficulty, the higher the average margin of success gets. Why is that so? Because you need to roll higher in general, the Dragon Die will likely have higher results on it, if you succeed, because you only succeed, if you rolled pretty well to begin with.

FIX: The margin of success can never be higher than the amount by which your roll surpassed the difficulty. e.g. if you need a 15 and roll a 17, with the Dragon Die showing a 6, you still only got a margin of success of 2.

3) The Rapid Reload stunt does not take into account the action needed to reload the weapon. It is inherently much better for crossbows. And it's a pretty big deal to get an extra Major Action that way.

FIX: The Rapid Reload stunt costs a varying amount of stunt points, depending on the action required to reload: 0 (yes, 0! this is only relevant for Lightning Attack) for Free; 1 for Minor; 3 for Major.

0 Rapid Reload (Free): You can immediately reload a missile weapon, that requires a Free Action to reload.
1 Rapid Reload (Minor): You can immediately reload a missile weapon, that requires a Minor Action to reload.
3 Rapid Reload (Major): You can immediately reload a missile weapon, that requires a Major Action to reload.

4) The Knock Prone stunt is too easy to perform and does not take into account who is trying this on whom and their relevant abilities. Also, it can be performed with a missile weapon.

FIX: Make it similar to the Disarm stunt and require an opposed roll. Since this makes it weaker, obviously, the bonus granted should be more significant (which also makes sense, a mere +1 for attacking a prone foe does not seem much).

2 Knock Prone: You attempt to knock the target prone with your melee attack. You and your opponent must make an opposed attack roll with their appropriate melee weapon or brawling. These attack rolls do not generate stunt points. If you win the test, you knock your enemy prone. Any character making a melee attack against a prone foe gains +2 bonus to the attack roll.

Bye
Thanee

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Having played the game, I can tell you that it is a fun and solid little game.
Input:
1) Mechanically, doesn't matter much. Have fun.

2) Quirky but fun. Your version makes it more difficult to determine who won opposed rolls (A got a 6 on his dragon die but only beat the TN by 2; B got a 2 on his dragon die and beat the TN).

3) The archer never seemed to mind, and it helped out the warriors that would occaisionally pull up a crossbow. Also, Archery mastery makes Rapid Reload superfluous; this fix negates a Talent.

4) +1 is really stout in this game. Upping the melee vs. prone bonus to +2 seems like a big boost. Also, I liked tripping people with arrows; it was fun and kept the archers from spamming double shot stunts.

Have fun.

Thanee

First Post
Thanks for your comments! :D

1) Mechanically, doesn't matter much. Have fun.

Yep, that is clearly a matter of taste (I prefer mechanics that offer a decent amount of pseudo-realism). Seems weird, that strong but not so nimble guys are bad at brawling or using a club, while they can fight much better with a sword. If anything, it should be more like the other way around. ;)

2) Quirky but fun. Your version makes it more difficult to determine who won opposed rolls (A got a 6 on his dragon die but only beat the TN by 2; B got a 2 on his dragon die and beat the TN).

It doesn't change opposed rolls in any way. Opposed rolls do not work the way you describe. You do not roll against a fixed TN, but rather you compare the two rolls directly. The Dragon Die only comes in as a tie-breaker (and would count to its full extent still, as only margin of success is limited, the number on the die remains unchanged).

For example...

A rolls a 14 with DD=6 and B rolls a 12 with DD=3
=> A wins, since A rolled higher. DD not relevant. Margin of success = 2.

A rolls a 13 with DD=6 and B rolls a 13 with DD=3
=> A wins, since A's DD is higher. Margin of success = 0.

A rolls a 12 with DD=1 and B rolls a 9 with DD=6
=> A wins, since A's roll is higher. Margin of success = 1.

3) The archer never seemed to mind, and it helped out the warriors that would occaisionally pull up a crossbow. Also, Archery mastery makes Rapid Reload superfluous; this fix negates a Talent.

I don't understand how it would negate the Talent? It is precisely modeled to work well in concert with that Talent.

4) +1 is really stout in this game. Upping the melee vs. prone bonus to +2 seems like a big boost.

That is something I am not sure of, yet (because of lack of play experience). If +2 is really that big a bonus (I think it is a noticeable bonus, as it should be, but not a huge bonus), I might change it back to +1. As I said, this is purely theoretical at this point. :)

Also, I liked tripping people with arrows; it was fun and kept the archers from spamming double shot stunts.

I just think it will happen way too often. People falling prone all the time just feels weird to me. And it seems extremely strange, that a small dog could easily trip a giant.

Bye
Thanee

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I just think it will happen way too often. People falling prone all the time just feels weird to me. And it seems extremely strange, that a small dog could easily trip a giant.

Bye
Thanee

I can't help but think of the number of times I've seen a small child (four or less) topple a fit adult man. Usually by accidentally hitting one of the nerve clusters in the leg / knee, but sometimes with ankles or by simply sitting on something that the man was expecting to slide with his feet.

But tastes vary. Have fun.

P.S. Archers don't like to trip targets because they are harder to shoot.

Thanee

First Post
I can't help but think of the number of times I've seen a small child (four or less) topple a fit adult man.

Heh. But that is not really the same as when the 'defender' is in a combat situation and quite willing to accept injury to the 'attacker'.

But tastes vary. Have fun.

Oh, I will. Don't worry about that! :D

Bye
Thanee

Tharian

First Post
I don't know if this is part of what you would want to use for the game, but you can still find the open beta material from what is to be the second box set on the Green Ronin website. They might introduce a few changes that could (or not) alter some of your changes.

Thanee

First Post
Thanks! I will take a look.

If the next box makes some changes that have influence on this, I will update my 'proposed' house rules, of course.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads