Dragon+ Celebrates 30 Years Of Drizzt

https://twitter.com/wizards_dnd/status/987072462948093952?s=21

So you are saying that the 5e ranger is Drizzt's fault?

As was the 2nd and 3rd. In 1st edition rangers didn't go in for duel wielding. Originally Drizzt duel-wielded because it was something all 1st edition drow did. But later edition rangers inherited dual wielding so they could emulate Drizzt.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
As was the 2nd and 3rd. In 1st edition rangers didn't go in for duel wielding. Originally Drizzt duel-wielded because it was something all 1st edition drow did. But later edition rangers inherited dual wielding so they could emulate Drizzt.

Ah, you beat me to it.

PC drow that could wield two weapons where put by Gygax into the original Unearthed Arcana. (reasons: money, funny how that works). At that time Rangers added their level to damage versus a whole range of humanoid and giant opponents. Make another attack, say with an off hand weapon, also add the damage...

So it was an optimized character, as we would say these days. When doing the 2e PHB, they had no intention of putting in drow, but yes did add dual wielding for Drizz't.

Actually, duel wielding does synergize nicely with the 5e ranger's hunter's mark. At least the bonus damage does. Concentration, not so much.

Anthro78

Explorer
What is the character arc for Drizzt? How has the character changed over its many stories? I remember reading the novels and thinking, "I like everything about this novel except this drow, who never seems to change or grow." Was I right? Or is there something I didn't see?

Ah, you beat me to it.

PC drow that could wield two weapons where put by Gygax into the original Unearthed Arcana. (reasons: money, funny how that works). At that time Rangers added their level to damage versus a whole range of humanoid and giant opponents. Make another attack, say with an off hand weapon, also add the damage...

So it was an optimized character, as we would say these days. When doing the 2e PHB, they had no intention of putting in drow, but yes did add dual wielding for Drizz't.

Actually, duel wielding does synergize nicely with the 5e ranger's hunter's mark. At least the bonus damage does. Concentration, not so much.

Drow actually first appeared - as monsters- in part three of "Against the Giants" (by Gygax). They where already duel wielding as standard, and described as universally ambidextrous in the fluff text.

What is the character arc for Drizzt? How has the character changed over its many stories? I remember reading the novels and thinking, "I like everything about this novel except this drow, who never seems to change or grow." Was I right? Or is there something I didn't see?

He was already a high level munchkin in the first story, The Chrystal Shard. The reason was, he wasn't intended to be the central character. He was actually intended as a mentor/sidekick to the barbarian Wulfgar, but kind of took over the story.

Salvatore did go back and try to give him an origin story in prequel novels, but they really just explain how he went from an angsty munchkin who lived underground to an angsty munchkin who lived on the surface.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

This is one of my biggest gripes about him too. If there was something you didn't see, I didn't either.

Remove ads

Remove ads