D&D General Dragon+ Content Going Away -- Whoops, It's Gone!

WotC's online ezine, Dragon+, ended a few months ago. Until now the existing issues were still accessible, but as of today, November 15th, WotC announced that "Dragon+ will be removed from app stores on or around November 15th, and dragonmag.com will be redirected and its content will no longer be available". If you wanted to save any of the content, do it quick, because it goes away today...

WotC's online ezine, Dragon+, ended a few months ago. Until now the existing issues were still accessible, but as of today, November 15th, WotC announced that "Dragon+ will be removed from app stores on or around November 15th, and dragonmag.com will be redirected and its content will no longer be available".

If you wanted to save any of the content, do it quick, because it goes away today!

[Edit -- and the content is now gone].

th-1815004287.jpg

Earlier this year we announced that the current issue of Dragon+ will be its last. Dragon+ will be removed from app stores on or around November 15th, and dragonmag.com will be redirected and its content will no longer be available.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I still wish that they'd provided the article about the cat setting as a PDF that could have been downloaded. It was one of the only articles that made Dragon+ worth reading.
I liked a lot of the "cover" art and the articles about it and interviews with the artists. It is a bummer that the art will not longer be available. There was some cool art on some of those covers.

MNblockhead

Wasn't Dragon+ mostly just ads and previews of upcoming WotC releases?

At least it felt that way to me in stark contrast to the meatiness of the original Dragon magazine.
It certainly didn't compare to the old print magazine, but in its early days I enjoyed reading the issues on the app. There was good cover art and interviews with artists. They had some fun comics illustrating content from adventures and lore that were fun. They reprinted collections of articles from the old print magazine with some commentary. A lot of it was basically written infomercials for upcomming WotC publications, but those could be interesting as well. There wasn't a lot of content, but there was enough to keep me checking out new issues when they appeared on my phone. I could never be bothered to go the WotC website, so it was nice to have the digital Dragon+ issues pushed to my phone.

Even though I log into DnD Beyond frequently, I almost always ignore the article and videos on the home page. I go the DDB because I'm ready to use it to prep or run a game. I never think to go there to read articles or watch videos. It's just not a great publication mode for how I engage with such content. Now if they combined what was Dragon+ with the DDB app on my phone, that would work nicely I think.

MNblockhead

I always felt that Dragon Magazine being a barely edited, yet canon, set of rules and lore expansions was just a drip campaign to separate me from my money rather than a quality product.
Everything they do is part of a plan to separate you from your money. They are a business.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
“Today the internet is where people go to get this kind of information… By moving to an online model we are using a delivery system that broadens our reach to fans around the world.”

jgsugden

Legend
That might be the case for you, but it’s definitely not my group’s experience. My group has spent way less on 5E than we did on 3.5E and we’re having just as much fun now with our games as we were a decade ago.
Watch the recent trends. We're seeing them look for more ways to monetize and removing more of the free support. They're trying to do a virtual tabletop where they can charge you for virtual minis. This is the new direction.

Remove ads

Remove ads