• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Disciple: "No," says Sage

Gumby

First Post
> From: (Me)
> Posted At: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 4:22 PM
> Conversation: Dragon Disciple enlargement
> Subject: Dragon Disciple enlargement
>
> Hello! I know you've answered this before, but I've seen conflicting
> interpretations of your answers on the ENworld message boards, and I
> just wanted my very own Sage reply. :)
>
> Here goes (phrasing the question makes me feel like I'm casting
> "Wish"):
>
> Upon reaching level 5 of the Dragon Disciple prestige class from _Tome
> and Blood_, the character goes up a size category. What new bonuses
> or penalties apply to the character after this change, besides those
> bonuses and penalties already detailed in the Dragon Disciple
> write-up?
>
None, except what is listed in the class description.

> The Monster Manual details what happens to creatures that grow in size
> on page 12; does the Dragon Disciple gain the +8 Str, -2 Dex, etc.
> modifiers that other creatures would after growing in size?
>
No, just what's listed in the class description.

> If so, are these bonuses/penalties of any particular type, and/or do
> they stack with all other bonuses/penalties?
>
See previous answers.

> Also, does the Dragon Disciple gain a 10' reach, like most, if not
> all, Large humanoid creatures have?
>
If the character is a biped, yes.

> Skip Williams
> RPG R&D
>

Well, at least they get reach.

Burne

First Post
And this is how the Sage gets such a bad reputation. "Sorry Mr Dragon Disciple, I, the One-and-Only Sage, have changed my mind. No Strength for you. <Yoink> Ask me again in a few months, perhaps with Brownies this time."

Crothian

First Post
That is actually funny.

"None, except what is listed in the class description. "

"No, just what's listed in the class description. "

"See previous answers. "

>
"If the character is a biped, yes. "

So, the first three times he says they get nothing except what is specifically listed in the class. Then he says they get something not mentioned in the class. I'm sorry, I find that very amusing. :D

Impeesa

Explorer
Crothian said:
That is actually funny.

"None, except what is listed in the class description. "

"No, just what's listed in the class description. "

"See previous answers. "

>
"If the character is a biped, yes. "

So, the first three times he says they get nothing except what is specifically listed in the class. Then he says they get something not mentioned in the class. I'm sorry, I find that very amusing. :D

It all makes sense, you just don't have the sagely wisdom to comprehend it, duh.. :rolleyes:

:)

--Impeesa--

Oni

First Post
Self contradictory answers, I do not like. This isn't an interpretation of the rules, its just making crap up.

Magus_Jerel

First Post
And My players wonder why I don't allow SaF, TaB, MotW and similar 90 days from development to publication products to be used in My campaign...

Crothian

First Post
Magus_Jerel said:
And My players wonder why I don't allow SaF, TaB, MotW and similar 90 days from development to publication products to be used in My campaign...

Why not? There's nothing wrong with these classes, you just have to figure out what wortks best for your group. Personally, I could care less if the ruling were always crystal clear and populiar, I'm still going to change things and fit my game. Just apply a little work and elbow grease and the books work fine.

Magus_Jerel

First Post
Well - I find that the sheer number of new books to worry about somewhat problematic for one.

The Problem with these books - is that the class abilities aren't being "clearly interpreted", and when it comes to being the referee - I have to be consistent and fair.

When these books start showing up, and self-contradictory rulings start happening - consistency goes out the window, and leads to accusations of favoritism.

The elbow grease and dollars expended isn't worth the benefit that using those books would add to the game fir Me

kreynolds

First Post
Magus_Jerel said:
Well - I find that the sheer number of new books to worry about somewhat problematic for one.

The Problem with these books - is that the class abilities aren't being "clearly interpreted", and when it comes to being the referee - I have to be consistent and fair.

When these books start showing up, and self-contradictory rulings start happening - consistency goes out the window, and leads to accusations of favoritism.

The elbow grease and dollars expended isn't worth the benefit that using those books would add to the game fir Me

Sounds like you have childish players and they are the ones creating too much work for you.

Player: "Mister DM? I think this description means that I cannot be killed or take damage in any way."
Magus: "Uhmm...I'm pretty sure that's not what it means."
Player: "Whaaa! Whaaa! Whaaa! Whaaa! Whaaa! Whaaa!"

Remove ads