Dragon Disicple in Full Plate?

Burn_Boy

First Post
I have an idea for a character in an upcoming campaign and I'd like some feedback on this theory I have.

First thing you do is you build your character exactly how you would build a Fighter. High STR and CON etc. The only things you have to do is put as many points in Knowledge Arcana as you can and keep your CHA at 10. Everything else is to build the best fighter you can. Now when the game starts, take your first level as a Sorcerer with the Draconic bloodline. After level one cross class into Fighter and stay there. However keep putting points in Knowledge Arcana until you have the necessary ranks in it to go Dragon Disciple.

Now you have a d12 hit die class who keeps getting newer and newer natural weapons, a breath weapon wings and bonuses to physical stats. You'd have to supplement armor with amulets and rings of armor but those aren;t impossible to come by but if you get your Fly skill high enough how bad ass would it be to have a being clad in black Full Plate armor with a Greatsword who just breathed fire and is now screaming down out of the sky at you?

Your thoughts?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
With the same vision, I went a slightly different path with my Mage-Brute:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/239192-forked-thread-mage-brute-revisited.html

Mine started as a Sorcerer due to campaign restrictions, otherwise I'd have sacrificed 1 spell/lvl and gone with BattleSorc. (I also would have considered dipping in Marshal for the Cha-boosting auras, etc., but again, that wasn't a campaign option.) Dragon Shaman wasn't even on my list of options.

I went that path to maximize the number of spells at his disposal, which in turn meant he maximized his # & power of BWs/day. The rest would take care of itself.

Your version probably kicks more ass in melée- he definitely has more HP- while mine keeps raining down bolts of lightning down from above.

(See also the martial arcanist databse in my sig.)

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
OP: I like that. Good thinking. I'll have to try the math. Flavor 1st level burning hands as coming from his mouth, maybe?

There's a few options.

Dracha from Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved game could fit the bill with levels in the racial class.

Barbarian is another base class that could help this build. Once you know how to wear plate, you could use the extra skill points and rage powers of Barbarian. So go one level in Sor, one in Fighter (power attack), then the rest in Barbarian. You'll get to Dragon Disciple with more skill ranks, and you can rage, etc.

Is the point to wear plate, or just be flying around melee with a breath weapon and high defenses?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think at least 2 levels in Ftr- for the additional feat- makes sense, and the Barbarian levels boost HP even more. Rage really brings the flavor of Draconic martial prowess.

Hey, isn't there a feat that let's your rage induce fear in some targets?

FWIW, I wouldn't wear armor heavier than scale, if for no reason other than flavor. But if I remember my armor weight categories, a build with BttlSorc and barbarian in it would be more effective with mithril scale than with plate.

Last edited:

Burn_Boy

First Post
The point isn't exactly to wear plate. I was looking at the Dragon Disciple's racial bonuses and saw how they were kinda useless for a spellcaster class, at least for MY spellcasters because I always destroy my STR and who really needs a strong arm when you're laying down fireballs? The whole plate just comes from the fact that Fighters wear plate and how badass would it look to have a plate cast, greatsword weilding half dragon roaring down out of the sky.

I also like the addition of a Barbarian level or two for the rage abilities. This guy could be a serious threat built right. More of a threat that one would normally consider. Would take a while to be the superweapon you want but once he's there, who could stand against him?

fireinthedust

Explorer
The point isn't exactly to wear plate. I was looking at the Dragon Disciple's racial bonuses and saw how they were kinda useless for a spellcaster class, at least for MY spellcasters because I always destroy my STR and who really needs a strong arm when you're laying down fireballs?

Eldritch Knight.
And any Wizard who's fighting Golems, who are immune to most spells.
And if you're caught needing to swim, or climb, or jump to stay alive.

Another consideration is also that you're talking about reducing your Cha to minimal levels. This ignores save DCs, which you want to have as high as possible. Also intimidate checks.
And bonus spells are handy. Mage Armour and Shield are particularly useful for a melee arcanist, and you don't need a high spellcasting stat.

What race are you thinking about?

And are there feats that you'd want? Some you can do without needing to be a fighter. Power Attack/Cleave you can get done right away if you're human. Others you can pick up by the time you're a Dragon Disciple, even if you're never a fighter.

Another option is also the Paladin/Sorcerer. You'd have all the Cha for a good DC, and you'd have the armour and weapons. On top of this, you can heal and, I believe, self-buff. Before you poo poo this away: Bahamus is a big D&D personality these days. You could play a Metallic dragon.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And any Wizard who's fighting Golems, who are immune to most spells.

Well, Draconic Breath is supernatural, so the only issue fighting golems would be damage type.

As I recall, the spell energy channeled via Arcane Strike is also supernatural.

Another option is also the Paladin/Sorcerer. You'd have all the Cha for a good DC, and you'd have the armour and weapons. On top of this, you can heal and, I believe, self-buff. Before you poo poo this away: Bahamus is a big D&D personality these days. You could play a Metallic dragon.

And if you use BttlSorc in the mix, you have no ASF concerns. Your Cha driven Pally abilities and your spells are all in full effect, and with the Battle Caster & Draconic Breath feats, your PC is a veritable embodiment of Bahamut: good, heavily armored, and spitting your BW at will.

Last edited:

Remove ads