Dragon & Dungeon Magazine Alternative

Aries_Omega

Explorer
As most of you know Paizo isn't doing the magazines anymore...this Gleemax thing...whatever it is suppose to be is going to substitute for it. I have a credit coming to me from Paizo for the rest of the year's worth of subscription and what I really want is to spend it on another gamer type mag rather then credit or get the Pathfinder product. Can anyone suggest a good gamer magazine. I like Dungeons and Dragons and d20 in general as well as other games...but mostly d20 stuff.

Thanks in advance to you all.

Glyfair

Explorer
Aries_Omega said:
As most of you know Paizo isn't doing the magazines anymore...this Gleemax thing...whatever it is suppose to be is going to substitute for it.

Just for the record, Gleemax is not the substitute for Dragon/Dungeon. The Online Dragon/Dungeon is coming later (next year, IIRC).

Can anyone suggest a good gamer magazine. I like Dungeons and Dragons and d20 in general as well as other games...but mostly d20 stuff.

Kobold Quarterly is being done by Wolfgang Baur (a former Assistant Editor and many time author for Dungeon). It's primarily online/PDF, but there is a print version available. The first issue is out and you get it through the Paizo store.

There is a discussion thread about the first issue here.

Last edited:

Razz

Banned
Banned
Glyfair said:
Just for the record, Gleemax is not the substitute for Dragon/Dungeon. The Online isDragon/Dungeon coming later (next year, IIRC).

Later NEXT year? I thought DI was coming out a month or two after Septemeber, Dragon/Dungeon's last issues?

I could've swore they stated they'll be getting DI out ASAP after the magazines were done?

The_Gneech

Explorer
Glyfair said:
Kobold Quarterly is being done by Wolfgang Baur (a former Assistant Editor and many time author for Dungeon). It's primarily online/PDF, but there is a print version available. The first issue is out and you get it through the Paizo store.

There is a discussion thread about the first issue here.

Last I heard it was PDF only. When did print happen? Off to investigate!

-The Gneech :cool:

smootrk

First Post
I think they will let Dragon and Dungeon lag for a while so that they become 'fond memories'... then they will announce with great fanfare the return (albeit online) of the namesakes.

I have to admit that I am still rather P.O.'d about the magazines' cancellation, even if the uproar has calmed. Overall I think it is a bad decision by WotC... alienating a strong core audience of players, in a gamble to somehow grab the attentions of the younger (and more computer oriented) demographic. Too much trying to 'engineer' coolness... never seems to work. Coolness just happens.

Glyfair

Explorer
Razz said:
I could've swore they stated they'll be getting DI out ASAP after the magazines were done?

I heard exactly the opposite. They were going to take their time and get it out once everything was set up and running smoothly. Next year was an estimate, it might be late this year (my guess would be Dec if this year, maybe Nov).

The_Gneech said:
Last I heard it was PDF only. When did print happen? Off to investigate!

Just before release. Wolfgang was going to use LuLu, but decided it wasn't appropriate. He did arrange a very limited print run through another party. Obviously, that option is more expensive.

There's Crusader, which is a "real magazine" (i.e. not an e-zine or P.O.D.). It's more of a C&C magazine than a d20 magazine, though. On the plus side, it's had articles by Gary Gygax and Rob Kuntz, material from Bill Webb of Necromancer Games, cartoons from Tom Wham, fiction, and even poetry (!). It reminds me a lot of Dragon, in the old days. (Troll Lord Games publishes it.)

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I hate to say it, but there really isn't one. :\ Dragon and Dungeon were unique in the gaming industry at this time, and I doubt we'll see their like again. A roleplaying magazine that you can buy at your local bookstore? I doubt you'll see that again any time soon.

I'm gonna' miss you guys!

--Steve

Remove ads