Dragon & Dungeon Magazine Alternative

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Philotomy Jurament said:
Very much like early Dragon, IMO. I guess it's not for everyone, but I like it the fact that there's a lot of content that has no direct game-mechanics application. It's a bit of everything: RPG stuff, historical stuff, fiction, poetry (rare), scenarios, comics, et cetera.

Fiction was the one thing I always hated in Dragon and I hate it even more in this mag. Such a waste of space.

rowport

First Post
The_Gneech said:
Hey, if it's a print magazine mailed to my house, I'm subscribin'.

LONG LIVE PRINT!

-The Gneech :cool:
Gneech-

I am with you 100%. I was on-board with the *idea* of Kobold Quarterly, but Wolfgang's willingness to try out print for those of us asking for it sealed the deal for me.

The print mags look just fine. It is not a 'slick' in production values as the Paizo Dungeon/Dragon which is certainly understandable given production cost. But, the text is clear and readable, with a substantial cover (and great cover art by Darren Calvert!). Honestly, I got a kind of 'old-skool' vibe from it, as the print style and paper feel all reminded me of Dragon circa 1985 or so. I would certainly recommend it!

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
rowport said:
Gneech-

I am with you 100%. I was on-board with the *idea* of Kobold Quarterly, but Wolfgang's willingness to try out print for those of us asking for it sealed the deal for me.

The print mags look just fine. It is not a 'slick' in production values as the Paizo Dungeon/Dragon which is certainly understandable given production cost. But, the text is clear and readable, with a substantial cover (and great cover art by Darren Calvert!). Honestly, I got a kind of 'old-skool' vibe from it, as the print style and paper feel all reminded me of Dragon circa 1985 or so. I would certainly recommend it!

How many pages to the first issue of KQ? Does it include lots of ads?

Shawn

Monkey King

Explorer
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Can you order an issue of this to check it out?

Sure, there's single copies available as PDF from Paizo, or single paper copies direct from Open Design for $8 plus shipping. Hit me with email so we don't spam the board.

Oh, and Shawn, it's 32 pages plus covers with minimal ads. IIRC, it's less than 2 pages of ads, and that includes the house ad to subscribe.

kenobi65

First Post
Stereofm said:
Would you give money to a green brain if you saw one in the street ?

That depends on whether the green brain had a dog with it. I know it's a sucker play, but I always give some money to the guy with the dog, because I want to make sure the dog eats. :)

Waylander the Slayer said:
Wulfgang, if memory serves me correctly, was the editor not an assistant editor and has been the author of many many cool adventures, not limited to The Kingdom of Ghouls and Return to Ravenloft. Kobold Quartery#1 is very cool and has a small, limited print run.

Actually Wolfgang worked on Dungeon (not sure what role) and was the editor of Dragon for a time.

Olaf the Stout

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
Monkey King said:
Sure, there's single copies available as PDF from Paizo, or single paper copies direct from Open Design for $8 plus shipping. Hit me with email so we don't spam the board.

Oh, and Shawn, it's 32 pages plus covers with minimal ads. IIRC, it's less than 2 pages of ads, and that includes the house ad to subscribe.

You know what else had 32 pages? "The Dragon" #1.
I'm just sayin'. :)

darjr

I crit!
There is Polymancer Magazine. I think 'All Games Considered' are going to discuss the magazine and the latest issue on thier next podcast.

You can get a free issue at their site, though for the life of me I can't see where to strait up subscribe. Anyone else know where that would be? The shipping use to be outrageous to the US and I wanted to check to see if it still was. If it is, anybody out there able to pick it up for US distribution? Please?

Remove ads