Dragon & Dungeon Magazine Alternative

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
smootrk said:
I think they will let Dragon and Dungeon lag for a while so that they become 'fond memories'... then they will announce with great fanfare the return (albeit online) of the namesakes.

I have to admit that I am still rather P.O.'d about the magazines' cancellation, even if the uproar has calmed. Overall I think it is a bad decision by WotC... alienating a strong core audience of players, in a gamble to somehow grab the attentions of the younger (and more computer oriented) demographic. Too much trying to 'engineer' coolness... never seems to work. Coolness just happens.

It worked for White Wolf back in the Golden Age of Usenet. Forgot exactly what was said but it wasn't flattering to the population of whatever newsgroups got hit. Something like calling us "internet geeks" in a futile attempt to use some buzzwords.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Despite Paizo's verbal acrobatics in avoiding the "m" word, Pathfinder strikes me as a magazine. Further, it strikes me as a magazine that combines elements of Dragon and Dungeon - it isn't just adventures. It'll have support material for the adventures, which translates to me as Dragon-like articles. So I get the feeling that, at least in my opinion, Pathfinder will be a good Dragon/Dungeon alternative. In fact, given that it'll be OGL, it has the potential to roam further afield than Dragon and Dungeon, content-wise. Maybe we'll even get to see some scifi material at some point.

Right now, though, Knights of the Dinner Table will provide my gaming magazine fix.

Khairn

First Post
Stereofm said:
So why support the DI ?

I've been following this issue pretty closely and truth be told no really good reason has been suggested so far.

As for the OP, Pathfinder seems to be a magazine in everything but name, and Paizo has treated their customers well and communicated very proactively since this situation became public. An example that WotC could learn a lesson from. I'm definitely giving Pathfinder a go.

Glyfair

Explorer
Devyn said:
I've been following this issue pretty closely and truth be told no really good reason has been suggested so far.

I plan on doing so at least briefly to get Nicolas Logue's Eberron adventiure (with fingers crossed that it's the 3rd of the "Chimes at Midnight" trilogy).

Devyn said:
IAs for the OP, Pathfinder seems to be a magazine in everything but name...

And price. It's just too expensive for a "magazine." If Paizo could use advertising to offset the price (as magazines do) and ship with the periodical rate then I'd consider it a magazine.

Although I'm getting the first issue to try it out, and may get the first run, I think I'm unlikely to stick to it. Price is an issue, but even more so is the fact that it is tied to the "adventure path" paradigm.

Last edited:

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
"Knights of the Dinner Table is a multiple award-winning magazine featuring the gaming industry’s most popular comic strip, as well as being a full-fledged gaming magazine featuring d20, HackMaster and other articles for gamers, from a gamer’s perspective. Not only do thousands of gamers read KoDT and share it with their friends, they re-read it cover to cover and then re-read it again. Don't miss this hilarious and hysterical slice of (fantasy) life, and wonderful celebration of the gaming culture!"

:)

The current issue (#129) table of contents and previews can be found HERE.

KThazel

First Post
Have you seen the Kickstarter for the Itherverse magazine. Well im not sure if it will be in print or not but it seems a lot like Dungeon magazine just for any game system not just D&D. Im wondering if you think it is worth the investment. I could care less about rewards I just want content that I can use. I need a quick source to tons of small adventures and side treks so my gaming world remains almost open world free range so players arent on a path but have tons of options.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/112107051/itherverse-multi-genre-rpg-adventure-ezine-for-any

GreyLord

Legend
Have you seen the Kickstarter for the Itherverse magazine. Well im not sure if it will be in print or not but it seems a lot like Dungeon magazine just for any game system not just D&D. Im wondering if you think it is worth the investment. I could care less about rewards I just want content that I can use. I need a quick source to tons of small adventures and side treks so my gaming world remains almost open world free range so players arent on a path but have tons of options.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/112107051/itherverse-multi-genre-rpg-adventure-ezine-for-any

This thread is 10 years old. I'm not sure if any of the people who originally posted in this are actually still looking...

On your actual post, I do not know.

KThazel

First Post
That was the hope to find people who appreciated Dungeon mag for what it was then and getting honest feedback now. Forgive me, not sure how old you are but Millenial gamers just dont appreciate the magazines the way GenX'rs do or so it seems. I remember the polyhedron magazine that came with your RPGA membership which was the early foundation of organized gaming if you ask me.

Remove ads