D&D 5E Dragon Kings 5e

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
So I suspect that more than a few of us participated in Tim Brown's Dragon Kings Kickstarter campaign a few years ago, and were a bit sad that it predated both 5e as a full release and the new OGL. Well, weep no more: another company has picked up the slack and is producing a 5e Player's Guide for the setting.

It's almost funded now, with more than three weeks left to go, and as an easy to reach stretch goal Brown himself is finishing up "Sorcery's Wrath," the adventure module that was supposed to have been part of the rewards for the original run years ago.

You can hop in here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mindscapepublishing/dragon-kings-players-rulebook-for-5e

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Is this basically Dark Sun, but earlier in its history when the world hadn't become a giant desert QUITE yet?

I mean, it's the same author and almost the same themes, but a bit less desert and a bit more forest and grassland – though with inclination of their demise and the rise of psionics…

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Is this basically Dark Sun, but earlier in its history when the world hadn't become a giant desert QUITE yet?

I mean, it's the same author and almost the same themes, but a bit less desert and a bit more forest and grassland – though with inclination of their demise and the rise of psionics…

Not really. The history and development of the world's cultures are very different; in this setting, for example, the Dragon Kings were benevolent rulers who brought bounty to their people long ago.

You can download and read the free Gazetteer here if you are interested

Be aware: the original Dragon Kings book was setting-neutral, and supplemental volumes provided crunch for Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and some other system I forget. The new Kickstarter is essentially for the 5e crunch to the game and does not include the original world book.

That said, it IS a much darker and more brutal take on D&D than we've seen so far in 5e, and that may be of interest to some. The Kickstarter page has more detail on what exactly they plan on including, with some interesting stretch goals to boot.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Be aware: the original Dragon Kings book was setting-neutral, and supplemental volumes provided crunch for Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and some other system I forget. The new Kickstarter is essentially for the 5e crunch to the game and does not include the original world book.

Is there any explanation for why they felt the need to make modules after the Savage Worlds conversion? I guess there's the whole catering-to-the-market thing...

If anyone's on the fence, I've looked at some of the materials and they are awesome. I give this a rating of: 20 on a d20.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I'm not 100% sure I understand your question. If by "modules" you mean the 5e crunch adaptation, I expect it's because 5e wasn't out yet when the original project was released but is both phenomenally popular and is the most logical system for a setting that owes it's roots to Dark Sun.

If you mean "adventure modules," the one that has been promised as a stretch goal was supposed to have been part of the original release a few years ago but fell through the cracks for some reason. The new adaptation couldn't have come about without the approval and involvement of Tim Brown' and since the adventure was partially to mostly done anyway it makes sense that he would polish it up and pitch it in as part of this go-round.

I I had no part in any of this except as a backer of the original Kickstarter and now the new one - I have no dog in this race except as a fan. But I know I'm not the only backer/fan of the original, and I thought fellow supporters would be interested to now about the 5e translation.

Omega9999

Carnyfex Dynastarum
I already backed this project and I'm considering increasing my pledge. I have the original Dragon Kings book and i'm looking forward to this 5e rulebook

Remove ads