• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Magazine #337 details?

Vocenoctum

First Post
James Jacobs said:
As for the intro (I assume you're talking about the opening poem)... those are actually always the hardest parts of these articles to write. Takes a couple hours to write a half dozen or dozen lines... gah! I really like how they've turned out so far, especially how you can almost sing Zuggtmoy's poem to the tune of "Rockabye Baby."

The Poem was like the Final Feast and Zuggtmoy's Cradle, a real atmosphere booster that took a good amount of imagination I'd wager. (In the case of the Cradle, perhaps some Insane Imagination, but it's not my place to judge your "issues". :)

I meant the first paragraph or two though;
"In the dark and moistened places of the world, life takes on a sinister cast. Things that grow like plants yet shun the light of the sun hold sway in these rancid reaches, often resoirting to parasitism or worse in order to survive. The most wretched of these are the beloved children of Zuggtmoy, Demon Queen of Fungi."

It just struck me as funny, the process in writing a flavor filled section, about a Fungal Demon. :)
I can just picture a cultist on a streetcorner, screaming "fear the mushrooms!".

In addition, rather than ignoring the Fungi mantle, the article embraced it and made it fun and spooky, IMO. "Zuggtmoy has long struggled with maintaining viable cults on the Material Plane. The main problem is simple - most humanoids would have little interest in worshipping fungi." Rather than just saying "she's a demon, evil people follow her!"

I think the big difference between this and previous Demonomicon articles, is that Fraz or Pazuzu are easier fiends to make cool.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
James Jacobs said:
As an example, Zuggtmoy's description from the 1st edition Temple always seemed a bit comical and underwhelming to me; the incarnation of her from the recent video game seemed so much more interesting that I went with that one for her true from. Yet I couldn't just completely ignore the old version, so now that form represents the humiliating form she was bound into in the Temple, and remains the one she uses for her aspect.

heh, i was wondering if you were going to use the "puffball musroom head" version at all - glad to see you did! and that doesn't really affect any previous material; if you play the original ToEE, you would see her in her fungus form.
by the way, i was really touched how you connected her to the ustilagor; when i found out they would be in the same issue as Zuggy, i was wondering if that connection was going to be noted. :)

James Jacobs

Adventurer
The ustilagor connection wasn't my idea (although had I known the ustiligor would be popping up in the same issue, I certainly would have done so anyway!); it was added in by them awesome Dragon editors. It's pretty cool that they're both in the same issue! :)

Now we just need to get someone to bring back the ascomid and the zygom and Zuggy's scattered family will be reuinted once again!

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
it might be because i shot in an e-mail to Jason Buhlman when i saw the connection in my brain - if so, he saw what i was saying, liked it, and went with it. :) ustilagor was listed with Zugg's "beloved children" in the back of the original ToEE, so it clicked in my head at the last minute.

i am putting together a plant monsters article query even as we speak, so... you never know. :)

Edit: speaking of which...
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=150085
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=150086

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Vocenoctum said:
All in all, my favorite article in a long time. I also liked the Nerve Swimmers and the Lords of Dust article was good fun. Probably my favorite overall issue in a while.

The never swimmers (and brainstealer dragon and mind worm) originated in the demented mind of Knight Otu. :cool:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
By the way, Keith, I was wondering something. The Lords of Dust article says that the Overlords are the strongest being in the setting, with the exception of the progenitor dragons. Presuming the "progenitor dragons" are Khyber, Eberron, and Siberys, that statement makes me somewhat confused. I was under the impression that those three either didn't really exist (e.g. they were part of the creation myth) or had long since entered a state where they don't have/need stats anymore (e.g. Khyber is the underdark, Eberron is the surface world, and Siberys is the sky and/or the ring around the world). Are those three still distinct, sentient entities with stats, or not?

Also, the section on immortal outsiders seemed unclear. It seems like not many Outsiders should be immortal, but the rules for Outsiders with more than 12 hit dice seems to tacitly suggest there might be weaker Outsiders who are immortal...basically, I'm confused if only a select group of Outsiders are immortal, or a large portion of them are (and then how to determine which are and aren't). As an aside, it also seems odd to say that immortal Outsiders don't need to eat, drink, or sleep, but they apparently do need to breathe...so you can garrote Sul Khatesh to death?

Hellcow

Adventurer
Alzrius said:
By the way, Keith, I was wondering something. The Lords of Dust article says that the Overlords are the strongest being in the setting, with the exception of the progenitor dragons. Presuming the "progenitor dragons" are Khyber, Eberron, and Siberys, that statement makes me somewhat confused. I was under the impression that those three either didn't really exist (e.g. they were part of the creation myth) or had long since entered a state where they don't have/need stats anymore (e.g. Khyber is the underdark, Eberron is the surface world, and Siberys is the sky and/or the ring around the world). Are those three still distinct, sentient entities with stats, or not?
Like the other gods, there is no concrete proof that they exist or ever existed, and if they still do, it would be as disembodied (and statless) sentience. Eberron is the world itself, after all. The point is that if you believe the LEGEND, they've got to be the most powerful things around. But it is simply a legend.

Alzrius said:
Also, the section on immortal outsiders seemed unclear. It seems like not many Outsiders should be immortal, but the rules for Outsiders with more than 12 hit dice seems to tacitly suggest there might be weaker Outsiders who are immortal...basically, I'm confused if only a select group of Outsiders are immortal, or a large portion of them are (and then how to determine which are and aren't).
In my opinion, in Eberron most of the traditional outsiders - archons, eladrins, angels, demons, devils - are immortal. It's certainly the case that all quori, rakshasa, and couatl are. Shavarath is a plane of eternal war: the archons aren't off somewhere making baby archons, but the balance remains the same, because after they fall, new ones eventually rise to fill the ranks.

In my mind, the simplest way question for determining if an outsider is immortal is "can it reproduce to create another being of its type?" Archons and quori aren't created through sexual reproduction; it's a question of conservation of spiritual energy. There's 100,000 archons and there will always be 100,000 archons, though you can bind them to take them out of play. On the other hand, planetouched, half-celestials, fiendish creatures, mephits, formians - these creatures are born, reproduce, and while they may live for a long time, eventually die.

The question is whether the outsider is simply a creature from another plane - in which case it's probably mortal - or whether it in some way is an embodiment of the plane, in which case it's probably immortal. There will always be war in Shavarath, and the fiends and archons are simply a manifestation of this; hence, new ones will always rise to fill the old.

A side effect of this is that mortal outsiders are far more flexible in personality than the immortals. An aasimar from Shavarath is going to be much more like a human than an archon; the archon is a symbol of war, and simply won't think in the same way as a mortal.

Alzrius said:
As an aside, it also seems odd to say that immortal Outsiders don't need to eat, drink, or sleep, but they apparently do need to breathe...so you can garrote Sul Khatesh to death?
An overlord shouldn't need to breathe; that's a slip. As for immortal outsiders, they aren't actually that different from normal outsiders, who apparently need to breathe. By the MM, you can garrote an archon; the only difference in Eberron is that is essence will reform, and if it's powerful enough will still have access to its memories. Normal outsiders never need to eat or sleep. Native outsiders normally do; as immortals, the rakshasa of Eberron do not.

Maldin

First Post
griff_goodbeard said:
Hi! Just got my Dragon in the mail...
....Buying Magic in the free city- This article looks like it follows with the Age of Worms adventure path. I don't have a subscription to Dungeon so I don't know much about Age of Worms, but I'll be swiping some stuff from this for my homebrew.
-Griff
Anybody interested in a map of Maldin and Elenderi's "showroom" for use in their campaigns can check out the "web expansion page" for my shop on my website, at http://melkot.com/locations/cogh/maldins.html

Denis, aka "Maldin"
=============================
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads