D&D 5E Dragon Talk on Tyranny of Dragons

dave2008

Legend
No, it doesn’t. It proves that you forgot something, which is fine, but it definitely doesn’t prove anything else.

I mean, there was a rather big plot thread involving a silver dragon, a dude with a silver arm, and forging new Dragonlances.
I’ve vaguely remember that, the silver arm guy rings a bell. But those aren’t main characters nor were they central to the main character story. And that’s what Dragonlance was. The main characters and the interactions between them. Unlike in the Legend of Huma, a dragonlance was not used to take down Takhisis in the first three novels.

dave2008

Legend
No, it doesn’t. It proves that you forgot something, which is fine, but it definitely doesn’t prove anything else.

I mean, there was a rather big plot thread involving a silver dragon, a dude with a silver arm, and forging new Dragonlances.
Not to mention there are several other books in the Dragonlance setting that have nothing to do with dragons or lances

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’ve vaguely remember that, the silver arm guy rings a bell. But those aren’t main characters nor were they central to the main character story. And that’s what Dragonlance was. The main characters and the interactions between them. Unlike in the Legend of Huma, a dragonlance was not used to take down Takhisis in the first three novels.
Not to mention there are several other books in the Dragonlance setting that have nothing to do with dragons or lances

Sometimes, it’s best to just admit you were wrong and move on, bud.

This isn’t a hill worth making a stand upon.

Edit: especially the second part. My post was specifically about the chronicles, which Tyranny of Dragons was modeled after. They win the war because they gather good dragons and forge new lances. They literally could not have won without those two things.

dave2008

Legend
Sometimes, it’s best to just admit you were wrong and move on, bud.

This isn’t a hill worth making a stand upon.
Right back at you!

I’m not wrong. Dragonlances and dragons are not required for a Story set in the dragonlance setting.

We’re dragon lances a part of the original three novels? I concede that they were, but I still believe they weren’t central to the story. They certainly were not central Ron the first novel which is the one I remember best. However, even if I am completely wrong with my memory it doesn’t change the fact that there are lots of other stories in the dragonlance setting that have nothing to do with dragons or Dragon lances.

dave2008

Legend
Edit: especially the second part. My post was specifically about the chronicles, which Tyranny of Dragons was modeled after. They win the war because they gather good dragons and forge new lances. They literally could not have won without those two things.
But isn’t that all kind of background information? It doesn’t involve any of the main characters of the story does it? I certainly don’t remember involved in any of the characters from the first book but maybe I’m wrong. That’s definitely not overly important to my point.

dave2008

Legend
Right back at you!

I’m not wrong. Dragonlances and dragons are not required for a Story set in the dragonlance setting.

We’re dragon lances a part of the original three novels? I concede that they were, but I still believe they weren’t central to the story. They certainly were not central Ron the first novel which is the one I remember best. However, even if I am completely wrong with my memory it doesn’t change the fact that there are lots of other stories in the dragonlance setting that have nothing to do with dragons or Dragon lances.
Question: do the Dragonlance adventure modules that relate to the first three novels have the PCs gathering Dragonlances and riding dragons? I don’t really remember, but I don’t recall that happening in the last module at least.

Reynard

Legend
Right back at you!

First: you are demonstrably wrong.

Second: want to make any guesses as to the general commercial success of those stories not connected to the core conceits of the setting?

Third: this isn't about "Krynn as a general D&D setting" it is about "Dragonlance" which is a particular slice of time in a particular location in that setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
First: you are demonstrably wrong.

Second: want to make any guesses as to the general commercial success of those stories not connected to the core conceits of the setting?

Third: this isn't about "Krynn as a general D&D setting" it is about "Dragonlance" which is a particular slice of time in a particular location in that setting.

The broader point was Chris Perkins saying on Twitch "we were looking to make a Dragonlance-style story set in the Forgotten Realms."

Reynard

Legend
The broader point was Chris Perkins saying on Twitch "we were looking to make a Dragonlance-style story set in the Forgotten Realms."

On that score I think he kind of missed the mark a little because DL in addition to being about dragons and lances, is about faith. It's a fundamental aspect of the setting and the stories, from Raistlin's bid for godhood to Huma's sacrifice to Lord Soth's torment.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
On that score I think he kind of missed the mark a little because DL in addition to being about dragons and lances, is about faith. It's a fundamental aspect of the setting and the stories, from Raistlin's bid for godhood to Huma's sacrifice to Lord Soth's torment.

Steve Winters & Wolfgang Baur are a little different in interest from Tracy Hickman & Margaret Weiss.

Remove ads