D&D 5E Dragon Talk on Tyranny of Dragons

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
Dragon Talk joins Wes Schneider and Chris Perkins to talk about the upcoming Tyranny of Dragons adventure book.
Dragon Talk on Tyranny of Dragons; their segment begins at 01:00:06, enjoy.
Tyranny of Dragons Wizards product page
jkghxSDCCTOD_header1.jpg

• Tyranny of Dragons will combine Hoard of the Dragon Queen and the Rise of Tiamat into a singular volume.
  • It'll feature a new and reworked opening chapter, reworking it into the epic campaign opening that this epic adventure deserves.
  • It'll incorporate public feedback on the encounters that were originally used in the books, and will be modifying and rebalancing the encounters based on that feedback.
  • It'll feature a new appendix, which'll include a thirty-page concept art gallery.
  • This book's bestiary will be something special, and its layout is a "splendid marriage of art and text".
  • Hydro74 will be designing the new cover.
  • Release Date is 22 October, 2019, only in gaming stores.

Interestingly, draconians from Dragonlance and Takhisis vs Tiamat (they're the same), were brought up as topics for future Dragon Talks.
Chris Perkins also mentioned they wrapped up a story bible for a yet to be named and announced adventure.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That is ridiculous. The starter set was first and was fantastic. And the adventure wasn’t as bad as the falling sky’s folk would like everyone to believe.

Heck, not only is it getting a re-release, HotDQ and RoT are still in print and outselling most other RPGs entire rulesets.

Perkins noted in this interview how rare it is to get a chance to return to a D&D product like this.

Noticed there was a fair amount of talk about Dragonlance when I listened live in Twitch: how this was conceived as Dragonlance in the Realms, how Tiamat relates to Takhis, Draconians and how they need to talk about them on Lore You Should Know soon, etc. It struck me as odd on Friday, but with the DMsGuild rumors going about how I wonder if they might be pushing a Dragonlance setting to coincide with Tyranny of Dragons.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Agreed! I really enjoyed running it at the time. Yes, I changed a few things, but who doesn’t?

Perkins was pretty straightforward about the issues with the originals in this interview, and how the schedule and fluctuating state of the rules and limited playtest time compared to later Adventure books.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Does Tyranny fit as a Dragonlance story?

Considering that it is a riff on the original DL storyline, it fits handily, yes. The original books have advice on setting Tyranny in Dragonlance, Eberron and Greyhawk, instead of the Sword Coast. It involves a lot of filing off of serial numbers, but not difficult.

cmad1977

Hero
Does Tyranny fit as a Dragonlance story?

I thought it was basically Dragonlance with Forgotten Realms names and places.

No Lance I guess or much riding if Dragons(My PCs flew a couple) but that could easily be changed.
There is a floating Castle though.

We wound up having a really great 2nd half of the adventure after I kinda messed up the first half.

Remove ads