Dragonbane: The Secret of the Dragon Emperor

GothmogIV

Explorer
I am just now starting to read through this campaign that came with the Dragonbane Boxed Set. Has anyone run this, and if so, what are your observations? We've played four sessions of Dragonbane so far, and it's gone well, but I've been homebrewing.

Von Ether

Legend
I am just now starting to read through this campaign that came with the Dragonbane Boxed Set. Has anyone run this, and if so, what are your observations? We've played four sessions of Dragonbane so far, and it's gone well, but I've been homebrewing.
There are whole write ups about this and an errata on a thousand strong unofficial Discord.* https://discord.gg/dragonbane-drakar-och-demoner-community-1173874944430579733

I can't help as much as I converted Free League's other fantasy game campaign - Forbidden Lands: Raven's Purge to Dragonbane and I am running both storylines on the Forbidden Lands main map, allowing players to decide if they will tackle the current evil or the evil to come (the Dragon Emperor storyline.) My group is having a blast so far and the light hexcrawl rules work mostly because the random encounter tables go by local area and have a few encounters that lead to the local dungeon.

What are your homebrew rules?

*So strong it survived an accidental shut down. Evidently the owner of the first server had lost interest and had no idea how active it was when they deleted the server. The second one not only recovered it grew bigger.

Last edited:

GothmogIV

Explorer
It's funny that this notification popped up just now: we were playing a few minutes ago! I am using a Kobold Press campaign setting (Midgard, the Old Margreve) and using the Dragonbane system as an engine. I think we just finished session six, and they bumped into their first monster (a ghost). Pretty deadly.

Von Ether

Legend
It's funny that this notification popped up just now: we were playing a few minutes ago! I am using a Kobold Press campaign setting (Midgard, the Old Margreve) and using the Dragonbane system as an engine. I think we just finished session six, and they bumped into their first monster (a ghost). Pretty deadly.
That's a key to this game, even when PC have high skills, there is little HP bloat. So while enemies go down faster, they still pack a punch.

aramis erak

Legend
I'm currently 2 sessions down, halfway through Riddermound. My least cautious players have made death saves multiple times per session. The most cautious have had to once each.
Don't expect balance.

in my next run, I'm contemplating importing the stat gen from prior DoD...

Remove ads