• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dragonborn Interspecies Pregnancy

OmnionMagnari

First Post
Real world romance has nothing to do with it, it just happened naturally over the course of the game as it made sense in character, and yes it was rude.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I'd say yes. Because if a dragon can, why can't a dragonborn?

Even if can't reproduce, still lots of fun can be had.

Also, just because there is in game romance does not mean that there is IRL romance.

I was making the assumption from the OP saying it was a question raised by "a player romance"...that read to me as IRL. But I suppose it needn't, necessarily.

And as for why dragons but not dragonborn...1) Dragons are magic and can shapeshift into the race they are mating with...and then did I mention magic? 2) Dragonborn are already "dragon-men" offspring of a type. What is it they are supposed to reproduce? Scaly humans? Fleshy Dragonborn? Just...ew. 3) I strongly adhere to the "dragons are reptiles" position, dragon-boob clashes of the past, notwithstanding. So reptiles mating with mammals....mmmmm, not gonna happen. ...and if I need another, 4) I just plain don't like dragonborn.

I suppose if you want to go the "no viable offspring" route, it is harmless enough for make believe story game time.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
People need to develop some skin around here. I'm not trying to "shame" anyone or being "elitist" by wanting the romance at the table to stay at the table and not, necessarily, be effecting characters/story/game. Expecting adults to act like adults...which, granted, this table might not be and I shouldn't have assumed otherwise.

As has now been clarified, this was not an "out of game romance" so my statement, if curt, is hardly "rude" since there is actually no situation/one to have offended. BUT, since it seems to have been read that way, and delicate sensibilities have been rumpled, my apologies.

Have some start up XP...since it is your 1st post (which I generally do pay attention to, believe it or not). I truly am not a big meanie who goes around yelling at the new guys (though some here seem to think I am as I don't shy away from the word "No".)

OmnionMagnari

First Post
Now that I actually understand what you mean, it really isn't all that rude, especially considering how IRL romances can have a bad effect on the gaming table. I just originally thought you were hating on mature/adult matters at the (online) table (I run games via roll20)

The Human Target

Adventurer
Whatever sounds fun to you!

Dragons in D&D have a long tradition if breeding with everything, and so do most humanoids.

Maybe a half breed Dragonborn is always just a Dragonborn? Or always a member of the other race with slight draconic features?

But maybe Dragonborn are different?

Maybe their dragon creatures designed them to only be able to breed within their own kind to keep their blood pure, or to control their population size.

Can a dragonborn become pregnant by a Human? The subject came up during a player romance in a game.

Why would you assume that mammalian reproduction ("pregnancy") is superior to reptilian reproduction (laying lovely eggs)? That's racist.

Instead you should be asking whether human and dragonborn cloacas are compatible for purposes of egg fertilization.

epithet

Explorer
Dragonborn bear live young, based on what I've read. They nurse, too, which I hadn't expected.

Dragonborn seem more human than dragon, so I'd say "yes" to the OP. Offspring of a human and dragonborn would be regular dragonborn if the mother was the dragonborn, or (because I like to make stuff up) a dragonborn that looked human (but had a breath weapon!) if the mother was human. Since dragonborn have boobs, I would say they also have all the other mammalian bits, not a cloaca.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads