Dragonborn: Large Kobolds

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Derren said:
The problem with that is that adventures with kobolds will be much harder to make (especially for WotC) because if Dragonborn are kobolds (even noble ones) the kobolds will react extremly different to parties with dragonborn than to parties without one.
Modules with humans have never been a problem.

Klaus

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
Kobolds of indiscriminate size!

I have long held the belief that kobolds do not actually ever stop growing. The problem, you see, is the short life expectancy of kobolds. They always die before they get too big. However, if a kobold did, somehow, ever survive for long enough, one would notice it getting larger and larger until it was as tall as a dwarf after perhaps two or three decades. If somehow this kobold lived further, maybe even into his fifties, he would be as large as a man. Longer still, no one knows how large one may become.

Legend does tell of a great kobold warrior who lived to be eighty and grew as tall as a troll. However, this is most likely apocryphal. No kobold could possibly live that long.
Oh.

Oh My.

Yoink.

Kobolds -> Dragonborn -> Dragonkin as one frikkin' race!

Koewn

Explorer
Klaus said:
Oh.

Oh My.

Yoink.

My same thoughts, let me show you them.

14000 quatloos to the first person to provide us Kobold Age Categories. :)

Richards

Legend
Actually, if I remember correctly, it's been documented (as in, printed in kobold writeups in earlier versions of the game) that the kobold lifespan can go to 135 years...but almost never does, due to them almost always getting killed off rather early in life.

Johnathan

Koewn

Explorer
ThirdWizard said:
Kobolds of indiscriminate size!

I have long held the belief that kobolds do not actually ever stop growing. The problem, you see, is the short life expectancy of kobolds. They always die before they get too big.

Here's a theory:

They're the creatures of dragons, yes? They're killed off or engineered to die before size Medium so that they can't threaten wyrmlings.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Klaus said:
Oh.

Oh My.

Yoink.

That is interesting, different than how I had them relating to each other but very swipable.

Way I did it: Saw reference to kobolds being derived from dragons in 3e and getting along very well. That aside from wyrmling clutches dragons are almost always encountered alone and yet there seems to be no shortage of them and ran with it.

Reason why dragons haven't died out even though have low populations in any single area compared to other races is they're hermaphroditic thus every member of the population produces young. They lay eggs at regular intervals whether they mate or not, if they haven't mated they reproduce parthenogenically and out of these eggs hatch kobolds. Explains why the kobolds are so loyal and why dragons tend to protect them, that dragon they fawn over is their mama.

Like angels and demons, dragons have the fantasy equivalent of what might be called universally dominant genes. When they reproduce with a non-dragon you get either a greater dragonkin(standard dragonkin minus the int and charisma penalties) or lesser dragonkin(half-dragon given hd and turned into a race rather than a template). The dominance of dragon genes mean that when either interbreeds with non-dragons(like humans/elves/orcs/etc.) you get lesser dragonkin. If two dragonkin interbreed the result is a greater dragonkin.

Last edited:

Remove ads