Dragonlance Dragonlance adaptation to D&D 5th Edition

CapnZapp

Legend
Since then there's arrived wide consensus role-playing aspects make poor balancing mechanics.

In other words, don't expect something like this to reappear in official material. (House ruling it appears to be rather straight-forward, however)

PabloM

Adventurer
Since then there's arrived wide consensus role-playing aspects make poor balancing mechanics.

In other words, don't expect something like this to reappear in official material. (House ruling it appears to be rather straight-forward, however)

Hahahaha, if something like this appear in official material I´ll be very very happy. But since Dragonlance doesn´t seems to be the next0 published setting, I´ll keep my unhappy house rules.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Another idea for the Moons is giving you an extra spell slot. Maybe you get one spell slot of a level higher than your normal maximum spell slot. You don't learn any spells from that level, but you can cast your prepared spells using it.

And on the Night of the Eye, you get two slots, at Max +1 and Max +2.

The cool thing here is that if you have 9th level spell slots, this means on the Night of the Eye you have a 10th and 11th level spell slot. And you can now add house rules to the game for having 9th levels spells "At Higher Level". Or continue to scale up other spells, such as Create Undead.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I always liked the spellcasting distinctions between the three orders of magic, i.e. how Black Robes levelled faster and got access to higher level spells sooner, but had less spells overall (IIRC), with the situation reversed for the White Robes. IIRC, a black robe got access to 9th level spells at level 17, and a white robe at level 19. Red robes used the PHB spell advancement table, and got acces to 9th level spells a level 18.

I was disappointed when they didn't use this in the later versions of the DL campaign setting.

Close, in 1e Black robes did gain spells a lot faster than red or white, they gained 9th level spells at 13th not 17th level but since 13th was also the rank for master it meant that only 1 black robe could be level 13 or higher. The others gained them at level 15.

I also liked the distinction that black magic was the fast road to power and that while white magic-users may take longer, they ended up more powerful overall.

Perun

Mushroom
Close, in 1e Black robes did gain spells a lot faster than red or white, they gained 9th level spells at 13th not 17th level but since 13th was also the rank for master it meant that only 1 black robe could be level 13 or higher. The others gained them at level 15.

It's been a long time since I read the DL Adventures hardback... 13th level seems awfully low now.

But yeah, I always liked that system. I was introduced to D&D through DragonLance, and to this day, I kind of assume wizards will wear alignment-appropriate robes, regardless of the setting.

Regards.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
But yeah, I always liked that system. I was introduced to D&D through DragonLance, and to this day, I kind of assume wizards will wear alignment-appropriate robes, regardless of the setting.

Regards.

Ha! I'm with you there.

Hell, I was even introduced to high fantasy literature through the Dragonlance Chronicles, so quite a few things considered a bit trite or weird in some circles ring just fine for me. Alignment, Vancian casting; it was all given in-universe rationale in Dragonlance, and it all makes sense when viewed through that lens.

Team DL forever, baby. Or at least, Team Weis & Hickman DL forever. There's some real chaff outside the main books.

PabloM

Adventurer
It's been a long time since I read the DL Adventures hardback... 13th level seems awfully low now.

Totally. I still think it's counterprodictive to mess with the spell slots in this edition. A circunstancial +1 / -1 seems to fit better.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases