Dragonlance Dragonlance adaptation to D&D 5th Edition

PabloM

Adventurer
The Wizards of High Sorcery with their abilities and how they are described really brought the vancian system alive for me, not having ever read Vance and most other fiction being really different. If you're a fan of Dragonlance and still can't see it...well to each their own.

Let´s agree that the Vancian system exceeds Dragonlance. It´s inherent to D&D as one of the pilars of the game.

Quartz

Hero
Without question you suggest a nice system, but, like I say above, I think is a little too over complicated. Adding or substacting 1, 2 or 3 to spell attacks and spell save DC is huge!

But then that doesn't affect spells without attack rolls or DCs. And it's not that much of a difference. My suggestion also has secondary effects like counterspelling: if my moon is at High Sanction and your moon is at Low Sanction, you're at a real disadvantage.

If you don't want to change spell levels and keep it simple, perhaps another way would be to apply Advantage / Disadvantage to d20 rolls or increase / decrease the damage die, so with all moons at High Sanction a d6 changes to a d12.

ValthonisP

Villager
Thank you for converting this. I myself was about to try the conversion using my AD&D DL Adventures along with 3e DL campaign setting when I stumbled upon your document. Nice work and great job keeping it simple. My question is rather trivial, but I was wondering why you had not included the Auraks "Darkvision 60'"(Infravision 60'). Sorry for being 6 months late to the thread.

Last edited:

PabloM

Adventurer
Thank you for converting this. I myself was about to try the conversion using my AD&D DL Adventures along with 3e DL campaign setting when I stumbled upon your document. Nice work and great job keeping it simple. My question is rather trivial, but I was wondering why you had not included the Auraks "Darkvision 60'"(Infravision 60'). Sorry for being 6 months late to the thread.

Hey there! Sorry for the slow response, I didn´t see your post. Thank you for your enthusiasm, we, the lancers, need to stick together, he.
About that question: I simply forgot. I´ll add the draconians darkvision in the next update. Thanks!

razumny

First Post
I think a background is needed for Kenders. Here’s my attempt at one, based off the Outlander background in the PHB:

Wanderlust
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Survival

Race-restricted
Wanderlust is race-restricted to Kender, and most Kender has
Wanderlust.

Equipment
A hoopak, 50 sling bullets, a set of travelers’s clothes, map scroll, thieves’ tools

Choose one: Burglar’s pack, Dungeoneer’s pack

Tool proficiencies
Hoopak, thieves’ tools

Feature: Wanderer
You have an excellent
recall for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general
layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In
addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to
five other people each day, provides that the land offers berries,
small game, water, and so forth.

Last edited:

razumny

First Post
...and here’s a write up for a Hoopak:

Hoopak
Ranged/Melee
Ammunition, Versatile (1d6 When two-handed, 1d4 When one-handed)
Bludgeoning when used as a staff or sling, piercing when used as a spear.

Quartz

Hero
I think a background is needed for Kenders. Here’s my attempt at one, based off the Outlander background in the PHB:

Wanderlust
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Survival

Might History or Investigation be more appropriate than Athletics? History in that kender have wandered far and wide and picked up tales of this & that, and Investigation in that they're always poking their noses into anything and everything.

razumny

First Post
Sure, that makes sense. I’m leaning towards History, if I’m honest, though I suppose one might make it “choose two among the following: History, Investigation, Survival”

Remove ads