Dragonlance Dragonlance Adventure & Prelude Details Revealed

Over on DND Beyond Amy Dallen and Eugenio Vargas discuss the beginning of Shadow of ther Dragon Queen and provide some advice on running it. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1372-running-a-session-zero-for-dragonlance-shadow-of This epic war story begins with an invitation to a friend's funeral and three optional prelude encounters that guide you into the world of Krynn. Amy Dallen is...

Over on DND Beyond Amy Dallen and Eugenio Vargas discuss the beginning of Shadow of ther Dragon Queen and provide some advice on running it.

Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 11.27.17 AM.png

This epic war story begins with an invitation to a friend's funeral and three optional prelude encounters that guide you into the world of Krynn. Amy Dallen is joined by Eugenio Vargas to share some details about how these opening preludes work and some advice on using them in your own D&D games.

There is also information on the three short 'prelude' adventures which introduce players to the world of Krynn:
  • Eye in the Sky -- ideal for sorcerers, warlocks, wizards, or others seeking to become members of the Mages of High Sorcery.
  • Broken Silence -- ideal for clerics, druids, paladins, and other characters with god-given powers.
  • Scales of War -- ideal for any character and reveals the mysterious draconians.
The article discusses Session Zero for the campaign and outlines what to expect in a Dragonlance game -- war, death, refugees, and so on.

Stormonu

Legend
Session Zero for the Dragonlance campaign article up on DNDBeyond and it denotes that character death should be on the list of things to mention in a session zero. Interesting. Is this leaning into it or a guarantee somehow that PC's will die?

It also mentions asking if you want to allow other D&D material in or not.

I hope not; one of the frustrating things of the 2E Ravenloft modules was "first, we kill your characters..."

It may be something like that old spot for a will on the character sheet.

1668207248416.png

It may be something like that old spot for a will on the character sheet.
That's a holdover from 1e, when character death was an expected event.
Session Zero for the Dragonlance campaign article up on DNDBeyond and it denotes that character death should be on the list of things to mention in a session zero. Interesting. Is this leaning into it or a guarantee somehow that PC's will die?
I think it's simply a reference the it's possible for PCs to die. But it's also possible to play the game in such a way that PCs do not die - for example if you have very young or traumatised players.

From the article:
  • Would you like to experience it in its normal difficulty, even if it might mean character death?
I.e. PCs can die (if rarely) on "normal difficulty" but you can also play on "easy difficulty".

pukunui

Legend
Yeah, much more of these prelude adventures in the actual books, please.

One of my gripes with Witchlight is that the inciting incident -- visiting the carnival as kids and having something metaphysical taken from you -- is relegated to an Adventurers League PDF.
Which one is that? I may be running Witchlight at some point …

Yeah, much more of these prelude adventures in the actual books, please.

One of my gripes with Witchlight is that the inciting incident -- visiting the carnival as kids and having something metaphysical taken from you -- is relegated to an Adventurers League PDF.
Yeah, it was a bit awkward. We worked through it and when we got a good bit into the adventure it was fine. I didn't even know it was a AL adventure. I think it would have made buy in in early game a lot easier.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The newest novel has a Cleric or Druid mention that Chizlev appeared to her and now shes a priestess. This is set during the war.

So after Goldmoon does her thing the other gods probably start activating new divine characters. As long as they keep with "Goldmoon did it first", it should be fine.
Quick sidebar: did Goldmoon actually do it first? Because I'm fairly sure the evil clerics were the first on the scene, albeit helping to build up the war effort rather than proselytizing. Verminaard didn't need to see the blue crystal staff to have faith in Takhisis.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads