D&D 5E Dragonlance book (180 pages) for players & DMs coming December 6!

Well they differently had more personality because they were actually given personalities! ;)
that is a fair point... when I joined D&D I made every dragon I made a character (with goals, fears, and such) and the only player that ever played D&D before thought it amazing... but I JUST thought that normal... then again I have different 2e experience then most it seems

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Probably because I woke up grumpy from a nap! This really doesn't bother me that much.

However, I do expect more from apparent professionals. I was told some of the authors worked on the the original modules - they should know better.
Know better than what? Showing their design work to others?

Dire Bare

Legend
I had to look it up, and was sad to see you are promoting an illegal book with stolen art.
"Tasselhoff's Pouches of Everything" is published by the Dragonlance Nexus, which is the official fan community for the Dragonlance setting. They have a special license with WotC. The book, and their other products, are not illegal nor are using stolen art. They are revising the book, both the content and the art, for a release on the DM's Guild.

The book was offered free of charge when it was released. That's not illegal.
Really? Just because you offer something for free, doesn't make it legal or illegal. Whether you charge or not, you can't use art and trade dress without a license. People do it all the time, and WotC doesn't put forth the energy to hunt them all down, but . . . doesn't make it legal or right.

Dire Bare

Legend
The chromatic dragons in the original trilogy where specifically designed to be different from the normal 1e chromatics. IIRC, which ever artist first designed a dragon set the standard for that dragon. It is easiest to see in the classic Takhisis art by Caldwell and the 1e MM:

1e Takhisis
View attachment 268621
1e Tiamat:
View attachment 268625

Black Dragon: two nose horns instead of forward pointing bull horns
Blue: no nose horn
Red: most similiar, but added more horns/spikes
Green: no dorsal frill and added horns
White: a crown of horns vs single horn/frill

These were intentionally different than the MM versions.
Pretty sure that's artistic license, and not intentional design choices.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
"Tasselhoff's Pouches of Everything" is published by the Dragonlance Nexus, which is the official fan community for the Dragonlance setting. They have a special license with WotC. The book, and their other products, are not illegal nor are using stolen art. They are revising the book, both the content and the art, for a release on the DM's Guild.

Really? Just because you offer something for free, doesn't make it legal or illegal. Whether you charge or not, you can't use art and trade dress without a license. People do it all the time, and WotC doesn't put forth the energy to hunt them all down, but . . . doesn't make it legal or right.
How many people are you allowed to show your work to before it suddenly becomes illegal?

dave2008

Legend
How many people are you allowed to show your work to before it suddenly becomes illegal?
Showing your work is fine, but IP and trade dress are someone else's work. That is where you get in trouble. However, in this instance, it seems I may have been wrong as apparently they had a license from WotC.

dave2008

Legend
Pretty sure that's artistic license, and not intentional design choices.
I am pretty sure it was intentional. I remember reading about it (maybe in the art of dragonlance) back in the day. All the artist (with the exception Easley IMO) adhered to it for the dragonlance products and only the dragonlance products. Look at the blue dragon from Keith below and compare it to the blue head from Takhisis by Caldwell I posted previously. Same design (pair of horns, pair of fangs, no nose horn, & strange belly scales), which is different from the MM.

1670132882663.png

And here is a DL blue by Elmore (though he adds a little horn to the nose)
1670133075699.png

The dragons in DL were unique and adhered to a particular design that was unique to DL.

Here is a red by Easley and it follows the same design as Caldwell's Takhisis (double row of spines, 2 prominent horns, & check spikes)
1670133397510.png

Red by Elmore:
1670134302804.png

And let us not forget the "crown of horns" white dragons unique to DL. Here is Elmore's version of the white Takhisis head by Caldwell.
1670135110582.png

So whether or not they intentionally deviated from the MM, they clearly had a particular design/art direction for DL products that did not carry on to other works by the same artist. These were dragonlance dragons.

Again, I remember this specifically being a thing: which ever artist painted a dragon first for DL, set the standard for that dragon. I don't really trust my memory much any more, but that was my memory!

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
@Splinterverse , sorry for derailing your thread and awesome product announcement. I have said my piece on that subject (TPoE) and will just look forward to more updates from you and Dec. 6th!

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
@Splinterverse, any chance you will provide alternate stats for Kyrnn dragons? I realize traditionally they used the same stats. But this is Dragonlance, and the WotC designs are a bit lacking.

PS. I would be happy to help with this as I redesign the chromatics every few years. Here are my current versions (they are bit complex IMO), but I am starting work on new designs right now:

a "Dragons of Krynn" book would be a DMsGuild title I would purchase!

Remove ads