WotC Dragonlance: Everything You Need For Shadow of the Dragon Queen

WotC has shared a video explaining the Dragonlance setting, and what to expect when it is released in December. World at War: Introduces war as a genre of play to fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons. Dragonlance: Introduces the Dragonlance setting with a focus on the War of the Lance and an overview of what players and DMs need to run adventures during this world spanning conflict. Heroes of...

WotC has shared a video explaining the Dragonlance setting, and what to expect when it is released in December.

World at War: Introduces war as a genre of play to fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons.

Dragonlance: Introduces the Dragonlance setting with a focus on the War of the Lance and an overview of what players and DMs need to run adventures during this world spanning conflict.

Heroes of War: Provides character creation rules highlighting core elements of the Dragonlance setting, including the kender race and new backgrounds for the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery magic-users. Also introduces the Lunar Sorcery sorcerer subclass with new spells that bind your character to Krynn's three mystical moons and imbues you with lunar magic.

Villains: Pits heroes against the infamous death knight Lord Soth and his army of draconians.

Notes --
  • 224 page hardcover adventure
  • D&D's setting for war
  • Set in eastern Solamnia
  • War is represented by context -- it's not goblins attacking the village, but evil forces; refugees, rumours
  • You can play anything from D&D - clerics included, although many classic D&D elements have been forgotten
  • Introductory scenarios bring you up to speed on the world so no prior research needed

Why not hobgoblings or half-ogres? The role of the orcs in Dragonlance has been replaced with the Ithin’carthians/Tarmaks, savege people from a far zone of islands.

And Dragonlance is the best setting to play with the idea of chronomancers and alternate timelines.

Why not the ursines as PC race?

Will we see any retcon of the Krynnspace?
What do the people from the far zone islands, Krynnspace and chronomancers have to do with the focus of the adventure, War of the Lance?

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
They are supposed too. I think there is supposed to be a way to bring in your characters.

I've seen a lot of folks assuming that, but WotC hasn't actually made that claim anywhere afaik.

I mean, do I think people will find a way to use the two products together? Sure. Do I think WotC will actually have integrated them to the degree that there will be a point in the adventure where it will say, "If you have the boardgame, you can use the boardgame to resolve this part"? Not at all.

Feels like when folks decided that Waterdeep: Dragon Heist would contain "a toolkit to create your own urban adventures" or Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden contained a "traitor mechanic". Neither was true, but they were cool-sounding things for clickbait articles to keep repeating.

Last edited:

Nope. They're focussing in areas where the companions had little to no involvement. They may have a cameo which would be cool, including Kitiara.
Guessing her name may be referenced, but one of the promo articles said red dragonarmy so maybe not. My guess is they'll sidestep the whole thing because they were pretty clear in the D&D live event a couple months ago that they weren't bound to what happened in the books and how the characters people knew were doing their thing in a different part of the world. The adventure is supposed to be set in Kalaman during the initial invasion, so this would take place before the companions even met in the inn. There were already rumors of war in the north and such, so it works. It does get dicey explaining clerics when they hadn't really returned at that point, but guessing again they'll sidestep the whole thing with a simple "clerics recently returned, though they're rare still" and leave it at that.

dave2008

Legend
I've seen a lot of folks assuming that, but WotC hasn't actually made that claim anywhere afaik.

I mean, do I think you can find a way to use the two products together? Sure. Do I think WotC will actually have integrated them to the degree that there will be a point in the adventure where it will say, "If you have the boardgame, you can use the boardgame to resolve this part"? Not at all.

Feels like when folks decided that Waterdeep: Dragon Heist would contain "a toolkit to create your own urban adventures" or Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden contained a "traitor mechanic". Neither was true, but it was a cool thing for clickbait articles to keep repeating.
This post on the WotC website seems to suggest it: Dragonlance

"Optionally, use the Dragonlance: Warriors of Krynn board game to bring this adventure’s massive battles to your Dungeons & Dragons game."

and this from the Warriors of Krynn boardgame info...

"Demonstrates options for integrating play with six Shadow of the Dragon Queen encounters by providing scenarios with win/loss outcomes that impact the roleplaying game experience, resulting in different encounter and quest choices for players"

1666041466704.png

Last edited:

Guessing her name may be referenced, but one of the promo articles said red dragonarmy so maybe not. My guess is they'll sidestep the whole thing because they were pretty clear in the D&D live event a couple months ago that they weren't bound to what happened in the books and how the characters people knew were doing their thing in a different part of the world. The adventure is supposed to be set in Kalaman during the initial invasion, so this would take place before the companions even met in the inn. There were already rumors of war in the north and such, so it works. It does get dicey explaining clerics when they hadn't really returned at that point, but guessing again they'll sidestep the whole thing with a simple "clerics recently returned, though they're rare still" and leave it at that.
Given what you've said and what they've revealed it makes it interesting then as to what the conclusion of the adventure/module may be...

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
This posts on the WotC seems to suggest it: Dragonlance

"Optionally, use the Dragonlance: Warriors of Krynn board game to bring this adventure’s massive battles to your Dungeons & Dragons game."

and this from the Warriors of Krynn boardgame info...

"Demonstrates options for integrating play with six Shadow of the Dragon Queen encounters by providing scenarios with win/loss outcomes that impact the roleplaying game experience, resulting in different encounter and quest choices for players"

View attachment 264207

Yes, okay, I buy that - but I think it'll be a one-way deal. The board game will contain suggestions on inserting itself into the adventure. The adventure itself as written will ignore the existence of the board game, though.

Remove ads

Remove ads