WotC Dragonlance: Everything You Need For Shadow of the Dragon Queen

WotC has shared a video explaining the Dragonlance setting, and what to expect when it is released in December. World at War: Introduces war as a genre of play to fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons. Dragonlance: Introduces the Dragonlance setting with a focus on the War of the Lance and an overview of what players and DMs need to run adventures during this world spanning conflict. Heroes of...

WotC has shared a video explaining the Dragonlance setting, and what to expect when it is released in December.

World at War: Introduces war as a genre of play to fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons.

Dragonlance: Introduces the Dragonlance setting with a focus on the War of the Lance and an overview of what players and DMs need to run adventures during this world spanning conflict.

Heroes of War: Provides character creation rules highlighting core elements of the Dragonlance setting, including the kender race and new backgrounds for the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery magic-users. Also introduces the Lunar Sorcery sorcerer subclass with new spells that bind your character to Krynn's three mystical moons and imbues you with lunar magic.

Villains: Pits heroes against the infamous death knight Lord Soth and his army of draconians.

Notes --
  • 224 page hardcover adventure
  • D&D's setting for war
  • Set in eastern Solamnia
  • War is represented by context -- it's not goblins attacking the village, but evil forces; refugees, rumours
  • You can play anything from D&D - clerics included, although many classic D&D elements have been forgotten
  • Introductory scenarios bring you up to speed on the world so no prior research needed

Von Ether

Legend
Going to be interesting to see how they somehow meld "I'm playing a Dragonborn" (play what you normally play) with "You run into this new secret humanoid dragon race, the Draconians!"

Also a Half-Orc or Orc, though i can already guess.

I'm perfectly fine with some species getting an asterisk next to them to have them be more in line with the set up for a setting. e.g., you can only be a dragonborn after the story arc hits this milestone or such.

People forget that Dragonborn, along with Half-Elf and a few others, is an Uncommon Race and not a default for a D&D setting.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
As someone who liked the stories set in Krynn in novels and short stories, but hated playing in Krynn in the modules, I am intrigued with a mild reboot. I also want to see how the board game mass combat and adventure interconnect, as that could be an interesting path forward for new settings.

Dire Bare

Legend
Going to be interesting to see how they somehow meld "I'm playing a Dragonborn" (play what you normally play) with "You run into this new secret humanoid dragon race, the Draconians!"

Also a Half-Orc or Orc, though i can already guess.
I certainly hope they have guidance on that, but . . . it's not a hard challenge to solve.

Simply allow the player to play a dragonborn character . . . either with PHB stats, or new draconian stats if they're in the book. Either way, the PC is a draconian. Why are they part of the heroic party and not part of Takhisis' army? Are they rejecting slavery to Takhisis? Are they good, or just trying to survive? How do they navigate dealing with the other races when almost everyone is going to see them as an evil monster in service to the Dark Queen?

Sounds like fun!

Orcs are not canonically part of Dragonlance, but . . . neither does their inclusion break the setting. If I had a player that REALLY wanted to play an orc . . . I'd first suggest a hobgoblin or draconian, but ultimately I'd allow it, and find a place for orcs in MY Dragonlance.

Remove ads

Remove ads