Dragonlance Dragonlance New Novels Official release date: August 2, 2022

The official release date: August 2, 2022. Published by Del Rey Books.

The official release date: August 2, 2022. Published by Del Rey Books.

99BB34E7-55CE-4CB8-8F23-1FE83DDBD29F.jpeg

If I get ambitious, definitely. I think that the second trilogy is the better-written one, though for sentimental reasons prefer the first.

I suspect it's going to get wobbly and weird with them mucking around with the timeline, especially when you consider the existing time travel shenanigans. But if they're jettisoning most of what's post-second trilogy, I can't say I'll be heartbroken over it.

I have no inside info on the book's contents, but you may also want to (re-)read the second Weis/Hickman trilogy (Time of the Twins/War of the Twins/Test of the Twins) as well, as it will also be considered canon for this trilogy.

JEB

Legend
It is interesting that it says Classic - maybe the details may clash with what WotC have in-store for the setting?
I dunno. I think that there is a ton of speculation on a single word. I think they just want to point out they are going back the original story lines. Maybe.
The label "Classic" Dragonlance definitely implies a "non-Classic" Dragonlance - if there was only one version of the setting, there wouldn't be any need to call it anything other than just "Dragonlance." It's also the sort of label they tend to apply to media that have distinct old and new versions.

Iry

Hero
I'm curious where newer characters like Sindri Suncatcher fit into the "Classic" scheme. Those YA novels exist somewhere before the Chaos storyline and after the War of the Lance storyline.

The label "Classic" Dragonlance definitely implies a "non-Classic" Dragonlance - if there was only one version of the setting, there wouldn't be any need to call it anything other than just "Dragonlance." It's also the sort of label they tend to apply to media that have distinct old and new versions.

I would think Classic would mean involving characters from the original trilogy or two, this does have Tas in it, or set in the same time period as the original trilogies. And all that extra stuff in the other books not set in this time period would not be Classic. Where the exact dividing line would be, I am not sure, as I have read very few of the books.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I wonder if they moved the release date up because they want the book to be available in time for Gen Con? Probably not, but it's interesting to consider.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I'm curious where newer characters like Sindri Suncatcher fit into the "Classic" scheme. Those YA novels exist somewhere before the Chaos storyline and after the War of the Lance storyline.
I would think Classic would mean involving characters from the original trilogy or two, this does have Tas in it, or set in the same time period as the original trilogies. And all that extra stuff in the other books not set in this time period would not be Classic. Where the exact dividing line would be, I am not sure, as I have read very few of the books.
I believe that Weis and Hickman are only considering their own two trilogies as canon for this new trilogy.

JEB

Legend
From their January 2021 press release:
The first Classic Dragonlance novel, Dragons of Autumn Twilight, was written by Weis and Hickman and published in 1984. Since that time, more than 190 novels have been published in the setting.
Which necessarily includes non-Weis/Hickman Dragonlance novels.

But if anyone still doubts what they mean by "Classic Dragonlance", maybe someone should just ask Weis or Hickman on Twitter and see what they say? I don't do Twitter, so it wouldn't be me.

(FWIW, I did find one other official reference to "Classic Dragonlance" - this bundle on DM Guild, released very early in 5E's lifespan. The term "Classic Dragonlance" hadn't been applied to the novel setting until now, though.)

As in Star Wars Legends.

Remove ads

Remove ads