• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Dragonlance New Novels Official release date: August 2, 2022

The official release date: August 2, 2022. Published by Del Rey Books.

The official release date: August 2, 2022. Published by Del Rey Books.

99BB34E7-55CE-4CB8-8F23-1FE83DDBD29F.jpeg

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
While they are at it they can “fix” Faerun and “parallel” it back to the 2E/3E timeline before screwing it all up (see 4th Ed)
So completely erasing any actual effects of the 100 intervening years isn’t enough? 🙄

Reading SCAG is basically a bad joke. Literally no mention of earthmotes, lame “they disappeared to some other world and no one cares even though thousands of people are just gone now” excuses for taking genasi basically out of the setting, Myth Drannor destroyed by Elminster of all people, a decade or so of utter chaos that should have had an enormous impact on the lives of everyone in Faerun….and just, nothing.

5e FR is a bad joke. I guess ya might as well hard reboot it to the state of its first publication.

teitan

Legend
The label "Classic" Dragonlance definitely implies a "non-Classic" Dragonlance - if there was only one version of the setting, there wouldn't be any need to call it anything other than just "Dragonlance." It's also the sort of label they tend to apply to media that have distinct old and new versions.
I agree with Dar, it's reading too much into it. It could simply be "The CLASSIC Dragonlance Setting" as a sales thing since there hasn't been any new DL novels in a very, very long time. These days we read a lot into things and most of the time it is disappointment when what we read into it isn't what transpires. AT one time Greyhawk was the The Classic Greyhawk setting in some blurbs. I think people are reading into it because one guy at WOTC got his shanks tight and wasn't even bothering with the submissions from W&H and it resulted in a lawsuit and then speculation that there was a campaign setting and the novel wasn't lining up with the setting and much arguing that doesn't seem to have happened as the case was settled very amicably.

But W&H could help a lot to promote the brand with their work. Both side should make an effort to have good relations because the fandom would thank it. Maybe they aren't necessary, but to consult their opinion could be advisable.
This would be true if W&H where on board with the changes WotC feel they need to make in order to remove the offensive caricatures, but it's clear that they are not.

darjr

I crit!
This would be true if W&H where on board with the changes WotC feel they need to make in order to remove the offensive caricatures, but it's clear that they are not.
They were and have been on board for a great many changes. They even said so in the lawsuit. The issue that pushed the lawsuit was more a WotC fellow being a complete ass. Who was “resigned”.

It seems that there are folks who want to make this a champion effort against the changes WotC made or is making but I don’t think this is it.

I have suggested several times the idea of the parallel worlds/alternate timelines to become canon, and then the own fandom could create they fan version of the lore they wanted, for example one where Human and his dragon created a bloodline of dragonborn, or the spellcales, but these lived in the island of dragons until the return of Tiamat, or where Gilnatha and Silvara are married. Playing D&D isn't only the games in the tabletop, but also when the fandom feels inspirated to write their own fanfiction.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I think with the New Kender and New Mages of High Sorcery, there is going to be a "parallel timeline" as predicted. "Classic Dragonlance" akin to Star Wars Legends.

Remove ads

Remove ads