Dragonlance Dragonlance Philosophy thread

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
So, if person A think that mass murder is Good, and person B think that mass murder is Evil, person B the bad one here?!

Good grief.
Honestly, I think you're trying too hard to assume the wrong thing here. Based on Paul's context, this is more of a case of expressing severe judgment of an event in a literary work (which the backstory of the game setting is) implies the same severe judgment of the event it is based on in real world religious mythology. I mean, if you're gonna say that Paladine can't be good because of the Cataclysm, it sounds an awful lot like you're taking the same shot at any religion with divine retributional events like great floods, cycles of rise/decadence/repentance, and end times.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Honestly, I think you're trying too hard to assume the wrong thing here. Based on Paul's context, this is more of a case of expressing severe judgment of an event in a literary work (which the backstory of the game setting is) implies the same severe judgment of the event it is based on in real world religious mythology. I mean, if you're gonna say that Paladine can't be good because of the Cataclysm, it sounds an awful lot like you're taking the same shot at any religion with divine retributional events like great floods, cycles of rise/decadence/repentance, and end times.
I'm aware that's what he thinks. But he's wrong, because I have said repeatedly that I am specifically talking about the fantasy religion. It's up to him to learn how to separate the two in his mind.

If I wanted to discuss real-world religion, I would go to a real-world religion debate forum to do so.

and this is why we should leave real world religion at the door...

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm aware that's what he thinks. But he's wrong, because I have said repeatedly that I am specifically talking about the fantasy religion. It's up to him to learn how to separate the two in his mind.

If I wanted to discuss real-world religion, I would go to a real-world religion debate forum to do so.
If you are aware that's what he thinks, then why were you mischaracterizing what he was saying in your response to him?

Vaalingrade

Legend
It's a sad rhetorical point to try to deflect shade from a work of fiction by painting critics as bigots. Nothing more, nothing less.

Remove ads