Dragonlance Dragonlance Philosophy thread

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Harming the innocent/children is evil.
I'll add something to this that I think is important: "on purpose". Accidents are terrible, but they're not evil. Accidentally hurting a child by stepping on their foot isn't evil. Purposefully stomping on the foot of a child is evil.
In fact I can think of things immediately which would fall under this scenario, and that is the point. Reasonable, decent, people, can disagree on things.
Yes, they can disagree on "things". Not on "is genocide/child abuse/murder of innocent people a good thing". If you disagree with that, you're not "reasonable" or "decent".

Scribe

Legend
Yes, they can disagree on "things". Not on "is genocide/child abuse/murder of innocent people a good thing". If you disagree with that, you're not "reasonable" or "decent".

Right, but most of the time, nobody is debating those levels of offense/actions.

The issue is, and this was done in another thread just now, breaking literally everything down to a dichotomy and robbing every discussion of nuance. Its just not how things actually function unless only the most extreme of circumstances is being discussed, and nothing but.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I don't know, discussion I was having with @Levistus's_Leviathan earlier seemed to be heading towards an objective sort of view, albeit hard to prove - science can be used to objectively measure what is good or bad for people's health and wellbeing - whether through foods, medicines, non-medical drugs, drinks, through to physical activities done or inflicted on, through obviously to extremes of mental and physical injury / death.

From there...
Not philosophically, no we cannot go anywhere from there. Again, the is-ought problem.
Note - have attempted to capitalize Good / Evil where talking about the moral sense, whereas not capitalize where talking about good / bad in the more physical / mental sense, to try and separate out where 'good' is essentially using two different definitions.
It's good to be clear and precise.
This is not necessary.
It is if you hope to be logical and rational.
Child abuse can be accepted to be objectively evil without us needing an entire, irrefutable definition of good and evil.
Not without know why it's evil. And to know why it's evil we have to know what evil is. Definitionally. Without a definition to point to you're stuck in circular reasoning and pointless repetition.
Just like how we know that Quantum Mechanics and Relativity are both insufficient at completely describing the physics of our universe, but we still know that Black Holes and Muons and Higgs Bosons exist.

"Hey, murdering innocent people by the thousands is bad" is an uncontroversial statement that can be accepted into modern morality without needing to completely explain what good and evil are 100% of the time. Just like we can say "Higgs Bosons exist" without knowing if Gravitons do.
No, they're not anything alike. We have centuries of math and science and theories that have been supported with repeated experimentation and observation to point to the working models we have of physics and quantum physics are likely true. We have actual hard data collected and poured over by hundreds of thousands of scientists over the years that all point to those things being real and true.

That's not in any way comparable to you making an assertion about morality on a D&D forum. You have no support nor data. You're not making an argument, you're repeating a claim. Without evidence. You're repeating the argument from incredulity.
Ask your 10 closest friends if they're in favor of the murder of innocent people. I'm willing to bet, unless you have "strange" friends, all of them will say that they're against it.
Your logical fallacy is bandwagon. Morality is not democratic.
Child abuse is bad and evil. We have proven that. Genocide is evil. That is proven.
No, we haven't. We don't even have an acceptable definition of evil, much less bad, to work with. You're asserting things, not arguing for and supporting your claims.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Harming the innocent/children is evil.

Child abuse is harm.

Child Abuse therefore, is evil.
Basic formal logic.
There is still a definition of 'evil' even if its unspoken. Profoundly immoral and wicked.
That's the idea, but those are also loose terms that we'd need to define. Moral, immoral. Wicked. Etc.
You cannot just say 'well its evil because I said its evil and everyone knows this' because that kind of definitive statement laden with assumption is exactly why we have 3+ threads all with various levels of angst. That's the point I would imagine overgeeked is making here.
Partially, yes. Saying you know it when you see it isn't good enough. Saying everybody knows isn't good enough. Saying Paladine told me so isn't good enough. To be thinking, rational, reasonable people we have to be able to talk about these things. Think about them. And express them. Saying "it's true because I say so" isn't a thinking response. Not being able to express it doesn't mean you're wrong, only that you need to think about it more. No shame in that. But you can't really have a discussion about things when people just keep repeatedly saying that they're right and refuse to support their argument.
there is a wide wide wide world out there, and I'm not going to imagine there isn't a scenario where I think something is evil, while a different culture on the other side of the planet think its good.

In fact I can think of things immediately which would fall under this scenario, and that is the point. Reasonable, decent, people, can disagree on things.
Exactly so. No matter how fervently we believe something, there is, almost guaranteed, a person out there who believes exactly the opposite with equal conviction to yours. The only thing that makes you think you're right and the other person wrong is you happened to be born and raised here and now rather than there and then. Once we accept that fact, it's incredibly hard to think there's anything approaching universal morality to say nothing of actually objective morality.

Scribe

Legend
Once we accept that fact, it's incredibly hard to think there's anything approaching universal morality to say nothing of actually objective morality.

I've been thinking on this a LOT lately, as I know others have for...all of recorded history, and while its an interesting thought exercise (that I feel I'm making progress on personally) there's absolutely zero chance its a productive discussion on this forum. :D

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I've been thinking on this a LOT lately, as I know others have for...all of recorded history, and while its an interesting thought exercise (that I feel I'm making progress on personally) there's absolutely zero chance its a productive discussion on this forum.
Maybe. Maybe not. It's still worth a try, I think.

Scribe

Legend
Maybe. Maybe not. It's still worth a try, I think.

I mean what is Good? If we wanted to boil down the concept of a universal good, would it be possible to get it down to 3 words, all of which would then have their own definitions?

Can we say 'this is good' and have it be truly universally applicable?

Good: Selfless, Peaceful (Pacifist? Non-Violence?), Altruism

I think selflessness is likely a universal Good, same with altruism.

I can see debate around pacifism/non-violence however, but I believe at its root, divorced for the other concepts Law (Order) Chaos (Freedom) I do believe "Good" would be peaceful.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I mean what is Good? If we wanted to boil down the concept of a universal good, would it be possible to get it down to 3 words, all of which would then have their own definitions?
I don't know about universal. Not sure why it would need to be three words. But sure.
Can we say 'this is good' and have it be truly universally applicable?
I don't think so.
Good: Selfless, Peaceful (Pacifist? Non-Violence?), Altruism.

I think selflessness is likely a universal Good, same with altruism.

I can see debate around pacifism/non-violence however, but I believe at its root, divorced for the other concepts Law (Order) Chaos (Freedom) I do believe "Good" would be peaceful.
Sure. I'd say that selflessness and altruism are almost repetitions, they're almost the same thing. Selflessness is the internal version; altruism is the externalization of selflessness. I've always thought that words without deeds are hollow, so I'd take altruism over selflessness. I'd also agree that good would be peaceful, but not necessarily non-violent. For example, it's not good to let others come to harm if you have the power to prevent it. As a default, peaceful.

But, as with the other poster's claims, they're mostly feelings that sound about right rather than anything I could prove or support with evidence or facts.

Scribe

Legend
For example, it's not good to let others come to harm if you have the power to prevent it.

Yeah largely, as for why keeping it to 3 words or 2 (Selfless = Altruism for example or close enough) is to distill it. To get it at its most pure, so see if a consensus on "just this thing" is even possible.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Yeah largely, as for why keeping it to 3 words or 2 (Selfless = Altruism for example or close enough) is to distill it. To get it at its most pure, so see if a consensus on "just this thing" is even possible.
Well, we can't even get people to agree that definitions are important, much less necessary. I doubt we'd get consensus on what the definitions actually are. I know a lot of gamers who would define good in exactly opposing terms to what we have so far. They'd define good as complete and utter selfishness and a might makes right mindset. Mercy is for the weak, if you can't defend yourself you deserve what you get, and all that pleasantness. Real Cobra Kai types.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases