Dragonlance Dragonlance Shadow of the Dragon Queen shows up in the wild!

Weiley31

Legend
Found them.
Vuhb1J9.png

Very flavorful, but I have to ask: does this seem like an "average" difficulty encounter against a party of 19th level PCs?
Lord Soth can be charmed.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
A 19 CR solo monster, by the numbers, should be a challenge for (4) PCs in the 8-10 range. IIRC, that is where this adventure ends.

FYI, also by the numbers, Soth is a "Medium" encounter for (4) 19th lvl PCs. As a reminder a Medium encounter is:

" A medium encounter usually has one or two scary moments for the players, but the characters should emerge victorious with no casualties. One or more of them might need to use healing resources."
Like I said, I hate the 5e CR system. That doesn't seem like medium risk to me, and there are no scary moments in combat if you're assumed to emerge victorious with no casualties. To behave otherwise under those conditions, to me, is play-acting.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Very flavorful, but I have to ask: does this seem like an "average" difficulty encounter against a party of 19th level PCs?
That is not the way the CR system is supposed to work. A CR 19 solo is supposed to provide a difficult encounter for a party of 6 level 14 characters, or 5 level 15, or 4 level 16 characters - from the encounter guidelines in Xanathar's Guide.
By my reckoning you could drop the character level by 1 in each case.

dave2008

Legend
Like I said, I hate the 5e CR system. That doesn't seem like medium risk to me, and there are no scary moments in combat if you're assumed to emerge victorious with no casualties. To behave otherwise under those conditions, to me, is play-acting.
That isn't really the CR system, it is the encounter building guidelines. CR is just a relative rank. How you use it is what matters.

dave2008

Legend
That is not the way the CR system is supposed to work. A CR 19 solo is supposed to provide a difficult encounter for a party of 6 level 14 characters, or 5 level 15, or 4 level 16 characters - from the encounter guidelines in Xanathar's Guide.
By my reckoning you could drop the character level by 1 in each case.
However, even "difficult" as defined by WotC is really not much of a challenge. And Xanathar's is weird in that it gives guidelines for an "optimal" encounter, but as far as I can tell never describes what an optimal encounter is. I prefer the DMG method which at least let's me know that WotC definition of "deadly" =/= my definition of deadly

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
However, even "difficult" as defined by WotC is really not much of a challenge. And Xanathar's is weird in that it gives guidelines for an "optimal" encounter, but as far as I can tell never describes what an optimal encounter is. I prefer the DMG method which at least let's me know that WotC definition of "deadly" =/= my definition of deadly
"Difficult" is a bit of a moveable feast even for a given group, since the party composition and magic items can change it quite a bit.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Found them.
Vuhb1J9.png
Huh. His hit points are low. Most CR19 monsters should be sitting around 300 hp. His sustained damage is a little low. He should be doing another 20 damage per round, without casting or dailies. I like the "if you hit zero hp from this, you die" stuff. Especially the raise dead fireball. That's nice.

Remove ads