Dragonlance Dragonlance Shadow of the Dragon Queen shows up in the wild!

I can't wait to introduce the concept of the Gnomish "ye-old Morse Code" stations used by certain Knights of Solamnia outposts alongside the "ye-old field radios" as well.
Given the reputation of Krynn gnome technology, that could lead to... interesting results. Probably nothing lethal, but soldiers at those stations turning blue, getting covered in chicken feathers, and so on...

Reynard

Legend
And your point is wrong, since it carries the prejudice that everything YA is assumed to be bad, whereas some of the new stuff is of as high standard as Le Guin. There is plenty of really bad OA (Old Adult) literature published too. That doesn't make it all bad.
No, it's not, because I am not casting aspertions on YA. But it is a different publishing category and many adults won't go looking there and it is inappropriate for books that aren't YA fiction to be relegated there.

Publishing category create divisions that wouldn't otherwise exist, and encourage writers to create books that shouldn't exist -- at least in the form they end up in. I don't know if you write and/or spend time on writers' forums, but lots and lots of writers end up agonizing over their book not fitting perfectly into a publishing category and then compromising the work in order to force it to fit.

Steel_Wind

Legend
To be clear, while I do believe that there was some attempt to publish a YA branded and trade-dressed edition of the DL Chronicles after Harry Potter set the YA section ablaze in book stores in the 2000s, overwhelmingly, gaming fiction has been stocked and sold in the Adult Fantasy /Sci Fi section of the bookstore.

It isn't that the books are aimed at YA in terms of explicit marketing. It's that the publisher has chosen to keep the books as squeaky clean as 80s Del Rey Fantasy.

Once more: this is not my cuppa. Yes. I think it is a mistake.

No, it's not, because I am not casting aspertions on YA. But it is a different publishing category and many adults won't go looking there and it is inappropriate for books that aren't YA fiction to be relegated there.

Publishing category create divisions that wouldn't otherwise exist, and encourage writers to create books that shouldn't exist -- at least in the form they end up in. I don't know if you write and/or spend time on writers' forums, but lots and lots of writers end up agonizing over their book not fitting perfectly into a publishing category and then compromising the work in order to force it to fit.
So, you would rather see A Wizard of Earthsea marketed in such a way that implies it is unsuitable for a 13 year old reader? That sees it no longer added to school and junior libraries? You think an adult who has spent the last 30 years reading drivel like Jodi Picoult* will suddenly pick up and enjoy Earthsea because it's on an adult shelf?

How old where you when you first read Earthsea? I'm certain I was in my teens. The fact is that most people who have read Earthsea will have first read it as teenagers. If they haven't read it by the time they are an adult it's because they don't like fantasy and are never going to read it. Sure, some stuff, like Dragonlance, relies on teenagers lacking discernment, but how do you think they learn discernment? It's by also reading quality stuff like Earthsea. If they aren't exposed to that as "young adults" they will grow up to be undiscerning adults and read Jodi Picoult.

*To be fair, adult fiction gets much much worse than Jodi. I just can't bear to think about it.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
I like Ember the Dragon, Forsworn, and the Verminaad stat block.

Also, looks like this edition they are playing up the Oni relations with the Idra by giving them the single horn style that Oni are depicted with at times.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases