D&D 5E Dragonlance Shadow of the Dragon Queen Trailer

WotC has released a trailer for December’s Shadow of the Dragon Queen, an adventure for character levels 1-10.

WotC has released a trailer for December’s Shadow of the Dragon Queen, an adventure for character levels 1-10.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
The tales and myths surrounding them have elevated them to mythic levels. Namely by such games as Dynasty Warriors.
Oh, I only played the first Romance, which was a massive war simulation. There's nothing magical at all in the original novel or game

There's nothing magical at all in the original novel
Romance of the Three Kingdoms? The 14th century novel?

That's not correct. Zhuge Liang is implied to be a sorcerer, and at one point in the Romance he uses a magic ritual to change the direction of the winds. This is just before the battle of Red Cliff. On top of that, a ton of people accomplish impossible or highly improbably feats, which in any RPG claiming to be "realistic" would be impossible (and I'm not even sure they'd be doable in D&D without magic, though perhaps). Certainly the Romance is written imagining a world where sorcery and so on is possible.

What you might be confusing it with is the Records of the Three Kingdoms.

That's not a novel but a historical text and written close to the time, too. That doesn't feature any magic or implications people are sorcerers etc. IIRC.

Games are often called Romance even when they're more Records-oriented, simply because it's better know. The Total War: Three Kingdoms interestingly had two different game modes, Romance and Records. Romance had the heroes are epic heroes as they're portrayed in the Romance, able to fight dozens of men and live, Records has them as mortal men who are skilled and have an elite bodyguard of warriors (among other differences).

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Romance of the Three Kingdoms? The 14th century novel?

That's not correct. Zhuge Liang is implied to be a sorcerer, and at one point in the Romance he uses a magic ritual to change the direction of the winds. This is just before the battle of Red Cliff. On top of that, a ton of people accomplish impossible or highly improbably feats, which in any RPG claiming to be "realistic" would be impossible (and I'm not even sure they'd be doable in D&D without magic, though perhaps). Certainly the Romance is written imagining a world where sorcery and so on is possible.

What you might be confusing it with is the Records of the Three Kingdoms.

That's not a novel but a historical text and written close to the time, too. That doesn't feature any magic or implications people are sorcerers etc. IIRC.

Games are often called Romance even when they're more Records-oriented, simply because it's better know. The Total War: Three Kingdoms interestingly had two different game modes, Romance and Records. Romance had the heroes are epic heroes as they're portrayed in the Romance, able to fight dozens of men and live, Records has them as mortal men who are skilled and have an elite bodyguard of warriors (among other differences).
Again, the original Romance of the Three Kingdoms is what came to mind. That game has no magic, none.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Sure but you explicitly said the novel also didn't. I agree that the original game doesn't.
it had been a very long time since I'd read portions of the novel. I will agree that there are small number of the 1000 characters that would be considered heroic magicians.

I would not put them on the level of Endgame or tier 4 D&D.

I also don't think Endgame is a war story. The theme isn't the war, those damages done by war or the way war changes people.

Weiley31

Legend
That's also not got superheroes

I grant you Troy

Would you care to explain Romance of the Three Kingdoms as supers? They were real people

The tales and myths surrounding them have elevated them to mythic levels. Namely by such games as Dynasty Warriors.

Similar in the way that, while Arthur may have been derived from a historical figure, we're more familiar with the legendary version. Also, Charlemange.
Clearly ONLY superheroes would be able to fight like this.

Fallen star

Explorer
I doubt D&D was designed to be a musou wargame, amond other reasons because it is not easy to find a right power balance in a player vs player. What if the players are warlord creating their own army? This would be too fastly destroyed if the DM sends a "boss".
What I meant was that you can have high-level characters be part of an army within a D&D adventure. Being high level doesn't negate the use of troops, if the villain has enough troops. They don't have to just be commanders.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I grant you Troy
Okay, so then it’s possible.
Would you care to explain Romance of the Three Kingdoms as supers? They were real people

Prolly ask the person who brought it up.
I also don't think Endgame is a war story. The theme isn't the war, those damages done by war or the way war changes people.
I think it’s absolutely a war story, but we can switch this discussion to direct discussion rather than comparing examples, if that will help.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think D&D is excellent for war stories. You’re not going to get Saving Private Ryan that easily, but telling the sorts of stories people tell about medieval war? No problem.

Just take the mythology of historical warrior kings and knights and such, and treat it as literally true, for the most part.

Pretty late into the Medieval period, European kings went into battle and killed people, right in the muddy, bloody, chaos, of the front line. Because they had to, in order for their army to be willing to follow them. Charlemagne’s knights were real, but their legend is absolutely super heroic.

Khalid, famous light cavalry captain of Muhammad’s conquest, was a real guy, but the historical accounts approach the super heroic, nevermind a mythic retelling.

A D&D war story has duels on the battlefield, personal battles that take days to resolve, epic rivalries that turn the tide of war, genius strategists whose cunning plans are absurd but somehow work, etc.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
So, this adventure occurs before Goldmoon finds the Blue Crystal Staff and yet PCs can play clerics and druids...is there any sort of in world logic given for how that is even feasible?

Remove ads

Remove ads