• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragons DR/magic=no Dragon DR

mmu1

First Post
Wippit Guud said:
You go make 4 level 20 characters, I'll make a CR 20 dragon, and without even knowing what your characters have, I'll beat the snot out of them.

It shouldn't matter what a dragon's DR is, they shouldn't even be hit with a weapon at all, if the dragon has any sense.

CR... You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you
think it means. ;)

Wippit Guud

First Post
Of course it don't mean what I think it means, I'm reading it out of a book published by WotC, they never mean what you think they mean.

Grog

First Post
Believe me, dragons are plenty tough enough without DR. Add in DR the PCs can't bypass, you've probably got yourself a TPK.

Vaxalon

First Post
Pbartender said:
That DR prevents the Commoners from killing dragons with a hoard of farming implements. That DR forces that huddled masses to hire a group of adventurers to kill the dragon when it ravages the countryside. That DR provides jobs for thousands upon thousands of PCs.

Clearly.

Now for a PARTICULARLY powerful dragon, I wouldn't see anything wrong with beefing up its DR.

satori01

First Post
Stafan I do believe it is in many ways a drastic change.
From a story perspective, Dragons became much more vulnerable to the average populace. The old graduated DR system ensured Dragons as they aged were immune to pitchforks and mundane weapons AS well as weaker magic items.

The Adult Dragon had as much to fear from a pitchfork wielding commoner as he did from a low level warrior wielding his great grandfather's +1 magic sword, now of course any plused item will wound a dragon. How many +1 magic weapons are there say in the Forgotten Realms given it's long history and magical nations cranking out magic items for sale to the public? I guess I can see why Dragons hoard magic and destroy things, self preservation.

Moreover from my experience not every PC had a plussed weapon commiserate to overcome a Dragon's DR. A spell focused 15 level cleric might not have had more than a +2 weapon opening the need to cast magic weapon or greater magic weapon to physically attack the dragon, which in my book adds drama and tension and flavor.

All magic hits all is a little to bland for my taste.

youspoonybard

First Post
If you search on the Wizards' boards, Andy Collins explained this. His basic points have already been made here, though (tried lotsa DRs, none seemed to fit. Keeps commoners away. 3.0 already had weak DRs.)

Spatzimaus

First Post
I'll have to agree with these others, that the 3.5E dragon with DR /magic is no weaker than the 3.0 versions. But that's not the REAL issue.

Can we agree that DR as written just sucks on general principle? It's just so "all or nothing". Either you've got a weapon that ignores the DR, in which case you rock, or you don't, in which case you're hosed. 3.5E helps this a bit by lowering the soaks so you can power through it if needed, but it's still clumsy.

I mean, an ancient evil dragon should have something more like DR (10/magic + 5/good + 5/epic). So, even if you bring a magical weapon you're still going to see some DR. But, they never really did that. It's just too much bookkeeping for most people.

For my campaign I made a 3.0 template that gave "graduated" magical DR, where the DR was reduced by a fraction of (Enhancement/5). That is, DR 10/grad meant it reduced nonmagical hits by 10, +1 hits by 8, +2 hits by 6, +3 hits by 4, +4 hits by 2, and +5 hits weren't affected. The template gave, among other things, DR (HD)/grad, with all decimals rounded down. We were reworking dragons to use this sort of scheme when 3.5's DR system was announced. Now, I'm not sure what we'll do.

Jhyrryl

First Post
Feat

Augmented Damage Reduction [Item Creation]
Your innate damage reduction is augmented from magic, to magic and adamantine.
. Prerequisite: Innate damage reduction of x/magic, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, the ability to digest adamantine, size Large or larger.
. Benefit: For every 5 pounds of adamantine you have ever ingested per size category above Medium, you gain DR 1/adamantine, not to exceed the level of your innate DR x/magic. For example, if you are size Huge, have DR 10/magic, and ingest 20 pounds of adamantine, this feat would grant DR 2/adamantine, but if you have ingested 120 pounds of adamantine, you would only have DR 10/adamantine, since that is the maximum this feat provides for.

Jhyrryl

First Post
Course, the amount of adamanitine in question for the feat may need boosted to balance out costs. I didn't really work out the numbers there. :)

Remove ads