D&D 5E Dragon's-Eye View: A Wizard of a Different Color

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I like the concept, but I agree the final sketch does not represent the concept. Decadent, ostentatious, every sartorial choice meant to enhance their presence, that is a Red Wizard. Necromantic followers of Szass Tam would emulate the lich-like with pale or grey skin and gaunt bodies, perhaps maintaining cantrips or tattoos to seem skeletal. Zulkirs of other schools of magic would look different, enchantment would perhaps present a perfect thayan form of eternal youth and beauty, conjuration may take on demonic aspects. Status is everything and Red Wizards don't want people to ever question their status. This should be reflected in their costume and dress. Bulky, form diminishing robes do not represent status to a magical and brutal magocracy.

Argyle King

Legend
I don't care for the final product. It's a well done drawing. However, the vibe I take from it is one that seems more comical than I think it's supposed to. To be honest, I can't even really explain why I feel that way. All I can say is that my first thoughts were "Egyptian clown." I suspect that what gave me the clown vibe was the many layers around the neck, and how those layers are arranged.

I like the Egyptian vibe, but something about the finished product seems slightly off. From a glance, I think that something is either the neck or the extra layer in the mid section which looks like a waistcoat.

JeffB

Legend
Talented artist. Portrayal of Red Wizard does nothing for me. Somewhere, sometime RedcWizards all became Yul Brenner in a red robe, and I am not sure why. They were not portrayed that way originally. And FWIW,.I shave my head, so its not anything I have against baldfolk :D

DonAdam

Explorer
I don't love it but as long as they realize that it's non-functional, and that's intentional, I suppose it's fine. What I'm hoping they avoid is the dungeon punk aesthetic that started with 3e, where every adventurer looks like the D&D equivalent of a Rob Liefeld character.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
What I'm hoping they avoid is the dungeon punk aesthetic that started with 3e, where every adventurer looks like the D&D equivalent of a Rob Liefeld character.

In case any of the visual team is paying attention here, this bares repeating.

Love me some comics. Love me some superheroes. Have no problem with scenes in my D&D that could be in a comic book and/or my fantasy heroes to look like heroes (and even super-heroes at high levels). But, despite an appreciation as one artist to another for his complete uniqueness of style, I HATED Liefield.

Superhero art is exaggerated.That's just part of the genre. Muscles are expected to be larg-ER, legs long-ER, figures more shapely (though I draw the line well before double-D's on every blessed female), and stances/positions a bit more drastic than one would do in real life. Fantastical beings in fantastical situations is to be expected and enjoyed. But Liefield took it to riDICulous extremes.

Remove ads