D&D 5E Dragon's-Eye View: A Wizard of a Different Color

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Dragon's-Eye View
A Wizard of a Different Color

By Jon Schindehette

The Red Wizards of Thay are familiar to those playing in the Forgotten Realms setting. This week, Jon takes a look at them and gives you a glimpse at some of the fun things that are coming out of visual concepts for these wizards.

07-03-13_DEV59_JP_RedWizard.jpg

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I really liked Von Caberte's concept and the final piece of art Jean-Paul Belmet did with it!

He has sickly skin tone, head tattooes and highly detailed robe.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
In defense of the bulky, I think that's part of the appeal.

This guy is weighed down with wealth. Heavy gold, heavy robes, heavy gems. He's wearing a boatload of GP right there. He LOOKS like the guy who controls a magical empire and has servants and doesn't have to worry about petty things like mobility, because hey presto, magic makes me fly.

I like Jesper Eisjing's concepts, too, but they do suffer a bit from "this is just some guy in nice robes" syndrome.

Klaus

First Post
In defense of the bulky, I think that's part of the appeal.

This guy is weighed down with wealth. Heavy gold, heavy robes, heavy gems. He's wearing a boatload of GP right there. He LOOKS like the guy who controls a magical empire and has servants and doesn't have to worry about petty things like mobility, because hey presto, magic makes me fly.

I like Jesper Eisjing's concepts, too, but they do suffer a bit from "this is just some guy in nice robes" syndrome.

I know what you're trying to find there, but I must say, I disagree. He doesn't look like any of those things, he looks like a bad extra from a Brazilian Carnival float.

Samurai

Adventurer
I gotta agree with those who who like Jesper's design better. While the Red Wizards are wealthy and powerful, they are also not IMO decadent to the point of impracticality, which the bulky gold and sickly palor of the final design represents. I've always viewed them as extremely deadly, practical, and highly trained, almost like an elite magical version of the 300 Spartans. You'd never see Spartans in a bulky, impractical get-up like the final piece shows, even if he is the king of Sparta.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Also not a fan of the final. Looks like they just took the "warlock" character from Game of Thrones and stuck him in a big bulky get up. Why is he grey? The original sketch (though not as much in the final) looks like they just copied a skeksis costume from the Dark Crystal. Also not a fan of the giant very heavy looking mace/torch thing. I get the opulence air they were going for and this outfit definitely looks like the kind of thing you either need a cadre of servants dressing you or magic/telekinesis to don all the various layers and levels and straps/belts and buckles to get all of this stuff into place by yourself.

Personally, I'm inclined to think, more, the Red Wizards would be interested in comfort...even to the point of "lazy" when it comes to such trivial things as one's appearance. This does look heavy. He does look burdened with his wealth...and since that's what they wanted, that's a success for them. But why would he want to have 20-40 pounds of stuff weighing on him throughout his waking hours when he's trying to concentrate on the metaphsyical/occult/esoteric concerns?

The study of their magic and plotting to take over the world would be the only thing they really have an interest in. Mental concerns get their attention and effort. Thought, concentration, schemes and research...all with the goal/intention of leading to Power. Mundane concerns like material wealth and fancy robes (unless they are dripping in enchantments) would seem, to my idea/conception anyway, beneath them. Of course, associating the opulently rich with evil power-mongers in a game for today's world does/would, certainly, strike a chord with many potential players [i.e. customers]. I suspect this look is/would be very welcomed/liked in a video game.

The sketches I always find interesting, whether I like them or not, since I find the process interesting. As something of an illustrator myself, I like seeing/reading the whole "this is what we were thinking" and "this is where we went/how we got here"...again, whether I agree with it or their assumptions/directions or not isn't really relevant.

Remove ads