• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon's-Eye View - Reimagining Kobolds

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
They love devious and cruel traps, yet most of them have clawlike hands that don't really look capable of deft and nuanced movements that trap building might call for.
Kobolds like making traps. Kobolds don't have to be good at making traps.

Yeah, I think Jon's way off-base. Kobolds have had a relatively consistent look from 2e thru 4e with only minor updates each time. Making a drastic change would ruin that. If anything, bring elements of the older ones into the design.

And you shouldn't give them a prehensile tail just because the art director thinks prehensile tails are cool.

Klaus

First Post
I think hands-down the best artist out there for humanoid monsters is Mike Wilson (http://www.mikewilsonart.com/).

Here are his kobolds:

kobolds01small.jpg

Personally, I would have kept just a bit of the crocodile aspect from 3e/4e because it really fits their ridiculous but dangerous look, and maybe combined a bit of Gary's original concept (which I think are kinda embodied in Pathfinder's "Mites"). But otherwise I think Mike hit the nail on the head with his old school design.

Oh, and I agree with the sentiments of others that Jon Schindehette is off base with tailor kobolds, prehensile tails, and dragon soul infusion. Normally I like Jon's perspective, but with kobolds I'd leave well enough alone.

For some other humanoids Mike Wilson has done check out this thread, and scroll toward the bottom: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5273&start=0

Great rendering of the 1e kobolds, they look adorable!

S

Sunseeker

Contrariwise, kobolds are the smallest and weakest of the humanoid races. Having a well organized society is one of the ways they can ensure their survival and freedom in the face of orc slavers and ravenous bugbears.

Besides, Tucker's Kobolds wouldn't work so well without tightly disciplined small-unit tactics. :)

I'd also require them to be superb miners.

Well lets see, as miners and hunter-gatherers they're basically an extraction economy, and with a high demand for armed conflict(for whatever reason) they'd probably fall under a dictatorship. They're unlikely to be producing any real culture, and favor strong leaders with a wide range of powers. I could see them as organized in that manner, but as soon as there's a power vacuum that organization is likely to be lost.

Also: Tuckers Kobolds are more the exception than the rule, a way to make powerful players fear a coordinated enemy more than a powerful one.

Klaus

First Post
IMHO, kobolds should have a saying:

If a problem can't be solved, just throw more kobolds at it.

With their great numbers, I think kobolds would view every part of their existence, from combat to trapmaking to mining, through this lens. Everything is a group effort, and if a few kobolds die in the attempt, it's an acceptable loss as long as the group benefits as a whole. That's what makes kobolds Lawful Evil in 1e-3e.

Stormonu

Legend
Also: Tuckers Kobolds are more the exception than the rule, a way to make powerful players fear a coordinated enemy more than a powerful one.

True, but they've become part of the D&D legend, like the Head of Vecna and the Gazebo. I'd hate to see the day a DM can't threaten to use 'em.

Quickleaf

Legend
Taking a look at those humanoids of his, I'm so sad he's not doing 5E's humanoid art. He really captured the classic look while making them both cool and scary.
Yeah, I totally agree.

True, but they've become part of the D&D legend, like the Head of Vecna and the Gazebo. I'd hate to see the day a DM can't threaten to use 'em.
So...I feel a little embarrassed to ask...but what is the story behind the Head of Vecna? I've heard of it, but in 24 years of gaming I've never had it explained. :eek:

Stormonu

Legend
Yeah, I totally agree.

So...I feel a little embarrassed to ask...but what is the story behind the Head of Vecna? I've heard of it, but in 24 years of gaming I've never had it explained. :eek:

This explains it best

Basically, it was fake artifact designed to get the better of some greedy players :)

I love the Gazebo story too.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I'd agree. I've been prepping to run the Old Guard kobolds in the dungeons of Greyhawk and they are directly inspired from Tucker's story. But I also think these guys were trained by someone else. They aren't of the same culture that other kobolds are from and they've gone through extensive work. I'd say they actually have class levels in Fighter and study and practice warfare as a way of life. Their alignment is part of why they are so nefarious, but they use their current abilities as best they can. Small size, swarm tactics, willing to destroy anything, hit and run, traps, ambushes, mostly defensive stands. With the right kind of evil wizard, supplies, and dungeon* environment supporting them, they can create the same kind of player frustration as Tucker's ever did.
*(And dungeons really are their natural environment)

Kaodi

Hero
I would like to see a fusion of the 1e and 3e kobolds. Start with the 1e kobold as a base. Add a lizard-like "skin", as if you were reskinning a 3D model to look like something new instead of making a new model. And then alter the model so that it looks like it makes sense in its new skin.

If you really need some way to reconcile the dog-like appearance and sound with a lizard-like skin and features and a ratty-tail, perhaps think of the kobold origin as a kind of chimaeric creature, like the owlbear and the peryton. If they show a particular affinity for their draconic-qualities that is because they view that as their "best selves" .

Remove ads