D&D 5E Dragons of Stormwreck Isle: New D&D Starter Set Is Coming This Year

Hasbro has posted a short video which highlights its 2022 portfolio of brands, including toys and games, and in it can be seen images of a D&D Starter Set called Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The cover feature a blue dragon breathing lightning. Critical Role's Call of the Netherdeep also appears briefly. In this press release, Hasbro lists the boxed set with a retail price of $49.99, which...

Hasbro has posted a short video which highlights its 2022 portfolio of brands, including toys and games, and in it can be seen images of a D&D Starter Set called Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. The cover feature a blue dragon breathing lightning.

Critical Role's Call of the Netherdeep also appears briefly.

In this press release, Hasbro lists the boxed set with a retail price of $49.99, which seems very high for a starter set.

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 11.15.09 PM.png

Reynard

Legend
Forgive me if this has been answered here or in another thread, but do we know why WotC is constantly making new "Starter Sets" instead of choosing one to be ever green?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Forgive me if this has been answered here or in another thread, but do we know why WotC is constantly making new "Starter Sets" instead of choosing one to be ever green?
Because it’s an easy way to make money? And it makes the entry point seem fresh? And this is the first real basic introduction to 5e. I’ve always been of the opinion that LMoP was actually an intro to 5e for current players, not an intro to D&D for new players. And you can see the difference immediately in the level of handholding in this new one. I would have really benefitted from that back in the day.

The essentials kit is the weird one. What was that all about?! :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean, the Phandelver Starter Set had an 8 year run...that's pretty evergreen?

There have been two media tie-in Sets, Stranger Things and Rick & Morty, and the Essentials Kit which is more like the Expert Set in thst regard (and that one got made at Target's request and funding).

Reynard

Legend
Because it’s an easy way to make money? And it makes the entry point seem fresh? And this is the first real basic introduction to 5e. I’ve always been of the opinion that LMoP was actually an intro to 5e for current players, not an intro to D&D for new players. And you can see the difference immediately in the level of handholding in this new one. I would have really benefitted from that back in the day.

The essentials kit is the weird one. What was that all about?! :)
Emphasis mine. That makes some sense. Granted I have used the starter set to teach more than one group of kids how to play D&D -- but I was teaching them, so I don't know if it is a good fit for learning. I do know that the Pathfinder Beginner Box uses the old Red Box method of solo adventure and increasing complexity of preparation and is a far superior product in that regard.

Reynard

Legend
They wanted to iterate in the original starter set. Taking into account things they’ve learned.

And Target wanted an exclusive and I think they helped find it…. Maybe…
I don't own it but I am getting the sense from reactions online that it is maybe better at teaching but ultimately a less worthwhile product overall.
As a related aside: i wonder if this means we might get a stand alone, perhaps expanded, Lost Mines of Phandelver. Even if they stop selling the Starter Set they should definitely keep that adventure in print.

I don't own it but I am getting the sense from reactions online that it is maybe better at teaching but ultimately a less worthwhile product overall.
As a related aside: i wonder if this means we might get a stand alone, perhaps expanded, Lost Mines of Phandelver. Even if they stop selling the Starter Set they should definitely keep that adventure in print.
It's free to subscribers on D&D Byond.

Remove ads

Remove ads