[Dragonstar] The 65 billion gp magic item, or the Magic Beanstalk

Caliban

Rules Monkey
An orbital elevator (or “Beanstalk”) is an elevator reaching from the surface of the planet to a space station in geosynchronous orbit directly above it. Here is a magical variant (a "Magic Beanstalk") I’m going to use in my Dragonstar campaign. I have a major corporate conglomerate called the Draconis Combine that is the major economic and technological force in the sector of the Empire I’ve set my campaign in. Any comments or suggestions welcome.

First select a sight on the equator of the planet for the base of the beanstalk, and then place a space station directly above it in geosynchronous orbit.

Having the space station in an unchanging location makes it much easier to levitate cargo between the surface and the space station. The Industrial Might and Magic division of the Draconis Combine has created two orbital elevators (also referred to as “Magic Beanstalks”) that stretch from the surface of the planet to the space station, 240 miles above. The Up beanstalk is a series of permanent levitation rings that always go up, while the Down beanstalk is a series of levitation rings that always go down. Both are assisted by automated mage hand emplacements to keep the cargo from hitting the rings, creating what is effectively the largest grain elevator in existence. In addition to the grain, frozen meats, ores, and other goods being lifted into orbit, you can buy transport on a passenger pod and take the slow trip into orbit. It takes 4.4 days to reach the space station via the beanstalk, but it is much less expensive than taking a shuttle. (Standard fee of 25 cr to ride into orbit - this includes life support and basic food for 4 days.)

Technical details:

Height of the Space Station above the planet: 240 miles.
Diameter of the rings: 100 feet
Circumference of the rings: 314.159 feet.
Rate of Ascent/Descent: 200’ feet per minute (takes 4.4 days to travel 240 miles)
Vertical distance between the rings: 100 feet apart.
Lifting capacity of each ring: 25 tons (1 Huge vehicle, with cargo.)
Once all the rings are in place and activated, the beanstalk can lift 25 tons every six seconds, 250 tons a minute, 15,000 tons an hour, 360,000 tons a day, 131,400,000 tons a year.

Each beanstalk is composed of 13,000 rings. (Only 12,672 rings are needed to reach 240 miles, the other 328 rings are used as spares, and to compensate for variations in the space stations height above the planet).
Each ring is composed of 50 sections.
Each section provides 1,000 pounds of lift, 50 sections combine to give 50,000 pounds, or 25 tons of lift.)
Each section is 6.283 feet long, comprising 1/19th of the ring's circumference.

Cost of each section: 50,000 cr
Cost of each ring: 2,500,000 cr
Cost of each beanstalk: 32,500,000,000 cr
Cost of both beanstalks including construction costs, the space station in orbit, and the spaceport on the ground in big round numbers: 100,000,000,000 cr. (100 billion cr.)

Maintenance cost per year for both beanstalks: 100,000 cr a year. (Mainly replacing damaged or worn out ring sections.)

If you can operate it at full capacity, 24 hours a day you lift 131,400,00 tons a year. If you charge 75 credits per ton lifted into orbit, you could pay it off in approximately one year. If you charge 1 credit per ton lifted, it could be paid off with 75 years. If you factor in that it doesn’t actually operate at full capacity at all times, and you include maintenance costs, plus the need to keep the cost below that of other means of attaining orbit, it will realistically pay for itself completely in about 75-150 years. (That’s the WAG estimate.)

Each ring creates a levitation field within it and around it’s out edges. The levitation field supports the ring directly above it, and lifts anything within 50’ of the ring upward at the rate of 20’ per round, until it comes within range of the next ring, which takes over lifting. Living creatures and their attended items are not affected, but any vehicle or large object they may be standing on (or in) will be lifted and carry them with it.

The same effect operates in reverse for the Down beanstalk, except that the rings still lift each other, but lower anything else, and will affect living creatures.

Because the rings do not actually touch each other, and because they only support the weight of the ring directly above them (due to the levitation field), they are almost completely unaffected by the metal fatigue and stresses created by gravity and orbital forces, making them nearly maintenance free.

Each ring is composed of 19 sections and each section is 19 feet long. Each section is constructed of titanium and includes a suite of sensors and communications gear that reports on the integrity and position of each ring, and cameras located on each section allow technicians to visually inspect the ring or it’s neighbors without leaving the space station or the star port. Each section continuously casts the levitate spell at 10th level, giving it a lifting capacity of 1,000 pounds and allows it to effect anything within 50 feet of it.

When the sections are connected together in a ring, their lifting capacity is added together for a total of 50,000 pounds (25 tons) and the levitation field effects are created. Each section also incorporates an effect similar to that of an immovable rod (DMG, page 197) that prevents it from moving from side to side once the entire ring is in place and activated.

Since each ring section can operate independently as well as in unison with the other sections, it is possible to replace individual ring sections. Technicians can deactivate a single ring section, remove it from the ring, and replace it with a new ring section with only a temporary diminishment in lifting capacity for that part of the beanstalk.

Levitation Ring Section: Caster Level: 10th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, levitate, mage hand; Market Price: 50,000 gp. (Each ring costs 40,000 cr for the enchantment, plus another 10,000 cr for the materials, sensors, communicators, and electronics). Limitations: Only lifts or lowers once activated, entire ring must be disabled to change the settings on any section, and all the sections in a ring must be set the for the same direction.

Last edited:

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Picking a Nit

Levitationis fine for going up, but wouldn't Feather Fallbe better for going down!

BTW, 100 Feet in diameter does not give you 25,000 feet in diametre. Or 5,000 feet in diameter, which is what I think you were going for

Alan

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Re: Picking a Nit

mythusmage said:
Levitationis fine for going up, but wouldn't Feather Fallbe better for going down!

That was my original idea, but feather fall has a much shorter duration, and originally the rings were much further apart.

I decided to use levitate for both towers, because from a mass production point of view it only requires them to create one identical magic item for all the rings in both beanstalks: the Levitation Ring Section.

Now that I decided to make the rings much closer together, it might be better to go back to the feather fall beanstalk and the levitatation beanstalk.

BTW, 100 Feet in diameter does not give you 25,000 feet in diametre. Or 5,000 feet in diameter, which is what I think you were going for

Alan

I accidentally used the formula for a circle's area instead of the circumference when I did those figures.

I've gone back and adjusted things.

Last edited:

Zenon

First Post
Don't forget the 1,300,000,000 XP !!!!!

(32,500,000,000 Market price, so XP cost is 1/25th)

Even if a corportaion had a division of 1,000,000 mages with CWI each would owe 1,300 XP (assuming it didn't drop them a level).

Whew! And you want to built two of them???

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Zenon said:
Don't forget the 1,300,000,000 XP !!!!!

(32,500,000,000 Market price, so XP cost is 1/25th)

Even if a corportaion had a division of 1,000,000 mages with CWI each would owe 1,300 XP (assuming it didn't drop them a level).

Whew! And you want to built two of them???

It's actually worse than that.

Each ring section costs 40,000 cr to enhant, which is 1,600 XP per ring section.

Each ring is composed of 50 sections, and each tower is composed of 13,000 rings, or 26,000 rings for both towers.

1600 xp * 50 ring sections * 26,000 rings = 2,080,000,000 xp. (2 billion, 80 million XP.

Remember that the Dragon Empire already have a few hundred planets in it, each one with a population of spellcasters.

Assuming 100 star systems with spellcasters, and an average population of 4 billion in each star system, and further assuming that only 1/10th of 1 percent of the population is a spellcaster, and that only 1% of those would have the appropriate spels and feats (3rd level spell caster and the levitation and mage hand spells) and be willing to work for the company for a few months, then that gives us 40,000 spellcasters per planet, or 400,000 available spellcasters in the Dragon Empire. If each one contributes 1,600 XP a year, that's 640,000,000 xp per year, and the necessary XP can be raised in about 3.25 years. Call it 5 years due to delays and scheduling difficulties with the spellcasters.

(Note: this also assumes the existance of ritual magic which allows a group of mages to combine their caster levels during item creation so that even a group of 1st thru 3rd level mages would be able to pool their talents and cast Levitate at caster level 10.)

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
I think a little reading up on beanstalks would be a good idea. As I recall, the beasts are pretty much self supporting, so long at the far end is in geo-synchroneous orbit. Be that the case it becomes a matter of "installing" the lift and descent magic. Say enchanting the freight flats and passenger modules with a variant of the magic that lets a flying carpet fly. You do need more structure, but less magic.

Alan

Zenon

First Post
Caliban said:
It's actually worse than that.

Yup, I realized it after I posted that to actually figure it out, you'd need to look at every section to calc the XP, not just the whole.

3.25 years - wow. That's all I can say is wow.

Have you considered any protections for things like dispel magic? I realize each section would have to be dispelled, but you couls play serious havoc with an area dispel (using metamagic boosts to get a bigger area?). I'm assuming that's why you want to boost the caster level.

Beware characters with Minor & Major Globes of Invunerability cast on them..both Levitation and Feather Fall will fail if brought into the Globe. You sure don't want a Dr. Strangeglove psycho riding a devistating explosive down the beanstalk (while reaching terminal velocity). to have it go off at the base of the beanstalk.

Trust me on this, ever see what a beanstalk does when it fails? It's not pretty.....the failing sections wrap like a whip around the equator of the world.

Just some random monkey wench thoughts...it sound really cool though.

BTW, what do you think of Dragonstar?

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Zenon said:

Yup, I realized it after I posted that to actually figure it out, you'd need to look at every section to calc the XP, not just the whole.

3.25 years - wow. That's all I can say is wow.

That's actually very fast considering the overall size of the contruction project.

Have you considered any protections for things like dispel magic? I realize each section would have to be dispelled, but you couls play serious havoc with an area dispel (using metamagic boosts to get a bigger area?). I'm assuming that's why you want to boost the caster level.

Area effect dispels don't affect magic items, only targeted dispels do. And a targeted dispel only suppresses it for 1d4 rounds. All the ring sections would have to be dispelled individually, you would only be able to take out 4-8 ring sections at a time (if you were hasted with a wand of dispel magic), and the other 40+ ring sections would be able to support the weight until they re-activated.

The main reason for the caster level 10 is so that each ring section can lift 1,000 pounds and have a range of 50 feet. That way each ring section can reach the center of the 100 foot diamter ring, and all 50 rings combined can lift 25 tons.

Beware characters with Minor & Major Globes of Invunerability cast on them..both Levitation and Feather Fall will fail if brought into the Globe.

As a permanent magic items, the ring sections would only be suppressed while within the globe, and the radius of the globe is small enough that you would only be able to affect one or two ring sections at a time. The other ring sections can easily take up the slack if one or two deactivate. (Redundancy is part of the design.) A single globe of invulnerability would have zero effect on the beanstalk.

You sure don't want a Dr. Strangeglove psycho riding a devistating explosive down the beanstalk (while reaching terminal velocity). to have it go off at the base of the beanstalk.

Not even an antimagic field would cause that, it doesn't have a wide enough area to affect an entire ring. Not even Mord's Disjunction could take out an entire ring, the 30' radius would affect 10 ring sections at most.

Trust me on this, ever see what a beanstalk does when it fails? It's not pretty.....the failing sections wrap like a whip around the equator of the world.

I've read Wildcards too. =)

This wouldn't happen with the Magic Beanstalk. The rings aren't physically connected to the rings above and below them. You could take out up to 12 adjacent rings in a concerted attack, and it would still be able to lift and lower cargo, albiet at a diminishd capacity and with the potential for cargo to drift out of the beanstalk through the gaps. (The levitate effect lasts up to 100 minutes, meaning each ring could potentially lift 25 tons up to 1200 feet without the assistance of another ring. The 100 foot distance between the rings is for redundancy, and so that the mage hand effect can keep the cargo aligned with the center of the beanstalk.

Just some random monkey wench thoughts...it sound really cool though.

BTW, what do you think of Dragonstar?

I haven't actually started my campaign yet, but I think the setting is really cool and has a lot of potential.

Last edited:

Zenon

First Post
Cool, you've really given this a lot of thought!

Something else that just occurred to me, who/what would control the levitate spell on each section? You couldn't leave it up to the passengers of the beanstalk (and cargo can't decide which way it wants to go :) if it's a pure non-living cargo lift), so would each section require an operator to control the sections magic? (basically to "use" the section like an item?)

What a job - report for work, punch in. Get transported to your section. Begin thinking "Up....Up....Up....Up.....Up.....Up...." for the next 8-12 hr shift.

I just had the thought pop into my head of the old elevator operators ("Going Up!"). This might make things a little complicated for manning the upward side, although the downward side wouldn't require any supervision if you went with the Feather Fall.

The levitate side is actually a good idea because you are not limited to upward travel, in case of an emergency you could reverse the direction to evacuate the orbital station in a hurry with 2x the downward cargo/passenger movement, or move anything else downward from orbit at a double rate.

Hmmm, that almost makes me want to lobby to see levitate used on both sides. That would give you the capacity to provide 2x the flow in either direction if needed. The only problem would be the financial end of it, the corporation would have to really have to lobby to get that past their financial departments....

drnuncheon

Explorer
This is so interesting that it's almost a shame that a teleportation circle magic item would be so much cheaper.

"Transporter": teleportation circle (9th level spell x 17th level caster x 2000 for use activation) = 646,000 gold, 25840 xp. Now that presumes you have a 17th level wizard willing to cast it. 8)

Still, the Empire has to have some darn high-level mages as IIRC they have a magical teleporting highway connecting important planets.

It's also not clear how much cargo a teleport circle can handle, although it would seem that no matter what it needs a person to ride up with it. If the limit is the same as teleport then that 17th caster level item would only be able to teleport the handler+850 lbs per trip. On the other hand those trips would be instantaneous.

You could potentially make it cheaper by requiring a wizard to operate it, thus saving the jobs of all the guys who would otherwise be enchanting your beanstalk.

Now I'm picturing Imperial Express couriers - "when it absolutely, positively has to get across the galaxy...overnight." Teleport circles all leading to a central sorting house, that has the circles going to all the planets in the empire...

J

Remove ads