• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dread Necromancer- Advanced Learning

phindar

First Post
So I'm kicking around an idea for a dread necromancer, and I noticed the Advanced Learning ability which allows me to pick any Clr or Wiz Necromancy spell and put it on my list. I don't stray that far from core normally, and most of the basic book necromancy spells are already on the DN's list so I'm not sure what options are out there.

It also says that if a spell is on both lists, I use the lower level. DN's get Animate Dead as a 4th level spell, same as wizards. If I can take a 3rd level spell with Advanced Learning at 8th level, can I take Animate Dead as a 3rd level Clr spell? I can't think of a reason why I couldn't, and if I wanted to pump out a lot of undead that'd be one way to go about it.

rgard

Adventurer
lukelightning said:
I'd say it's ok, but I'd rather not waste my precious-and-few extra learning spells on something I will get anyways.

There may be some better choices in the Spell Compendium.

Thanks,
Rich

rowport

First Post
FWIW, I chose desiccating bubble from the Spell Compendium for my first Advanced Learning spell. I wanted an attack spell that was not a touch or ray since I already had spells of those types.

Solarious

Explorer
Having scoured the Spell Compendium myself, I think that Kelgore's Grave Mist from the PHBII offers the most bang for your buck as the first Advanced Learning spell. It's an area-of-effect spell, it fatuiges everyone in it's effect (very valuable), plus it deals cold damage without SR or saves. I likes it muchly.

Besides, if you wanted Animate Dead at 3'rd level, you should pick up Arcane Disciple (Undeath domain, SC pg. 281) from the Complete Divine (pg. 79). Sure, you need 13 Wis, and you can only cast it once a day, but typically you'll only begin animating the dead when you have downtime, and you'll pick up Desecrate to pump up any undead you animate to boot. For the emergency corpse raising, you'll have to wait for 4'th level spells. :p

Yeah, Dread Necromancers have Unhallow, but not Desecrate.

Kurotowa

Legend
My vote for a great pick at 8th level is Undead Torch. The only thing better than conjuring a pack of troll skeletons is giving them all +2d6 damage per hit. And when they die they leave a lingering hotspot that continues to damage any living creature that passes through. Double bang for your buck.

Remove ads