• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Driuds: Too Much Metal

pawsplay

Hero
Replacing much of the metal in the druid's body with lightweight carbon composites will improve gas mileage, saving the environment as well as the pocketbooks of consumers. However, many questions remain, such as how druids will come up with tens of thousands of gold pieces necessary to construct items such as the staff of the woodlands.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Diamond Cross was talking about making a vampire druid in his thread.

Now this thread is turning into a robot druid.

Maybe I should make a thread about playing a zombie druid?

Nah. :)

Nagol

Unimportant
Replacing much of the metal in the druid's body with lightweight carbon composites will improve gas mileage, saving the environment as well as the pocketbooks of consumers. However, many questions remain, such as how druids will come up with tens of thousands of gold pieces necessary to construct items such as the staff of the woodlands.

Spices! Worth their weight in gold or more!

WayneLigon

Adventurer
THe druid reflects a very simplistic mid 20th century view of nature and the environment that rejected civisilation and its attendant technologies as not being part of the natural order.
This is all very much IMO and all that but it gives rise to all kinds of oddities if you start thinking about and does not bear well to much scrutiny.

That's pretty much exactly correct.

erf_beto

First Post
Example, I'm Druid X, I need a bow or quarterstaff.
Cut down a tree and make said weapon.

Druid X is also naked.
Kill buffalo/cow, tan skin for armor.
Druids could use trees that had already naturally fallen (due to lightning strikes, for instance) for wood, and animals they offered in sacrifice to their nature goddess in a once-a-year ritual dedicated to the prey-predator aspect of nature.

Or after a babecue, your choice. ;)

R-Hero

Explorer
Well, "I need a quarterstaff." Find a small tree in an untenable situation (too much competition, poor rooting, whatever) and/or a a large limb on a tree in an untenable position and prune nature to create a staff for use.

This is a good example. Druid X has to tend the land by clearing deadfall growth, underbrush and the like to keep forest healthy.

"I need leather armour." Find an animal preferentiially in overabundance or at least well represented and kill, skin, prepare meat for eating, collect intesines/sinew for binding, and bones for small implements.

I like this one too, prey hunts predator and kills of the weak or sickly, natural balance, circle of life, etc.

"I need something made of steel." Find ore body, cut hole in living rock, take rock and smelt releasing heavy acidic smoke using chemicals, water and charcoal/coal. Discard acidic and poisonous tailings, take iron and place in kiln with charcoal. Heat with a lot more charcoal. Remove steel. Fashion steel into implement.

Which of these operations is not renewable? Which has the larger impact on the environment
?

I guess this is the one that really sticks in my craw. In the eyes of a druid, either steel is evil/bad enviromentally or its not.

I guess it would be up to the player on how strict the Druid is adhearing to his beliefs. A hardcore druid would probably never use steel or even an ironwood spell, i.m.o.

"I don't like steel"=druid
"Nature is o.k. with a little steel"=ranger (Again, my opinion)

Thanks to all who answered.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads