DriveThruRPG.com to release 3.5 edition Dungeons & Dragons titles in eBook format

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
DTRPG's WotC section is here.

Atlanta, GA, [Friday, June 16th, 2006] —DriveThruRPG announced today that Wizards would be making a huge selection of its Dungeons & Dragons® roleplaying game titles available as eBooks on www.DriveThruRPG.com.

“Based on the response to the eBook tests we have run with DriveThruRPG over the past year, we have decided to release almost the entire library of current Dungeons & Dragons titles, over 90 game titles, into the eBook format." said Scott Rouse, Brand Manager for Dungeons & Dragons at Wizards of the Coast.

“By providing current 3.5 edition material in eBook format, Wizards is allowing Dungeons & Dragons fans to easily and legally get official D&D products in digital format,” said Steve Wieck of DriveThruRPG.com. "We are pleased to take this big step toward our goal of having all roleplaying game titles: past, present and future, available digitally, 24/7, around the world."

Wizards has elected not to make the three core rulebooks for Dungeons & Dragons available as eBooks at this time, but almost every other current Dungeons & Dragons title will be available from DriveThruRPG. New titles are scheduled to release one each weekday on DriveThruRPG: Some of the titles to be released first include: Races of the WildTM, Book of Vile DarknessTM, Heroes of HorrorTM, Arms and Equipment GuideTM, d20 ApocalypseTM, Champions of RuinTM, Complete ArcaneTM, Unearthed ArcanaTM, Masters of the WildTM and Book of ChallengesTM.

With the ability to search for specific rule text, to cut and paste passages onto character sheets or adventure notes, or to take an entire RPG collection with you to the gaming table, the e-book format has become increasingly popular with gaming fans as an adjunct to the traditional printed format.

"Whether they want to copy a monster from Monster Manual II into their adventure notes, transfer a spell from a class guidebook like Defenders of the Faith on to a character sheet, or just read the latest Eberron title from a laptop during their next trip out of town, roleplaying game fans will finds lots of ways to use the wealth of digital content Wizards is releasing," added Steve Wieck.

Launched in June, 2004, DriveThruRPG.com is the premier site for digital content from major roleplaying game publishers. The site features extensive catalogs from companies such as Wizards of the Coast (Dungeons & Dragons), White Wolf (World of Darkness, Exalted), Mongoose (Paranoia, Conan), Chaosium (Call of Cthulhu), Dream Pod 9 (Heavy Gear), Eden Studios (All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Fantasy Flight Games (Midnight), Fan Pro (Shadowrun, Classic Battletech), GDW (Traveller, Twilight 2000), Guardians of Order (Big Eyes Small Mouth, A Game of Thrones), Holistic Design (Fading Suns), Malhavoc Press (Ptolus, Monte Cook’s Arcana Evolved), Necromancer Games (Wilderlands of High Fantasy), Pinnacle Entertainment (Deadlands) and many more. DriveThruRPG.com offers both new titles and hard-to-find classics.

Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS), is a worldwide leader in the trading card game and tabletop roleplaying game categories, and a leading developer and publisher of game-based entertainment products. The company holds an exclusive patent on trading card games (TCGs) and their method of play and produces the premier trading card game, Magic: The Gathering®, among many others, such as the recently released Duel Masters® Trading Card Game, games and family card and board games. Wizards is also a leading publisher of roleplaying games, such as Dungeons & Dragons®, and publisher of fantasy series fiction with numerous New York Times best-sellers. For more information, visit the Wizards of the Coast website at wizards.com

“Wizards of the Coast, Dungeons & Dragons, D&D, Races of the Wild, Book of Vile Darkness, Heroes of Horror, Arms and Equipment Guide, d20 Apocalypse, Champions of Ruin, Complete Arcane, Unearthed Arcana, Masters of the Wild, Book of Challenges, Monster Manual II, and Defenders of the Faith are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. in the USA and other countries.”

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
I would've thought that whoever makes these kinds of decisions for WotC might learn something since last go.

That is, eBooks are generally not sold at the full print price! Yeesh.

Unless this is some kind of bizarre symbolic act (or something), why on Earth are they bothering?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
got my threads mixed up

Man, those price suck.

Last edited:

I suppose its a small step in the right direction.

A review of the Frostburn pdf said that it was a small file, the clarity was reasonable and it was searchable. Hopefully the others will be as well.

I wonder how many they will sell at full price. I don't even pay full price for the printed versions, except when I want to support my FLGS.

Once Fourth Edition comes out maybe they'll start selling the 3rd edition pdfs for 5 dollars each ....

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Aus_Snow said:
I would've thought that whoever makes these kinds of decisions for WotC might learn something since last go.

What were the results of the last try?

/M

Remove ads