DriveThruRPG.com to release 3.5 edition Dungeons & Dragons titles in eBook format

Graf

Explorer
Good for them. White Wolf doing it probably encouraged a lot of people but this is fundimentally good for the hobby.

The price is their business (litterally). Unless people stop buying tabletop books (and there are no FLGSs anymore) don’t expect them to undercut the print market.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Graf said:
The price is their business (litterally). Unless people stop buying tabletop books (and there are no FLGSs anymore) don’t expect them to undercut the print market.
Of course it's their business, literally.

However, those prices have (literally) prevented a number of sales already. And it's only just been announced, basically.

Those are not sales that would've undercut anything. Nope, just sales. So they have *lost* money, already, by virtue of pricing their PDFs at a ridiculous level.

Someone at WotC has absolutely no idea what they are doing. Perhaps they could indeed take a look at any market they're trying to get into, before um.. getting into it. Just an idea.

JustaPlayer

First Post
Graf said:
Good The price is their business (litterally). Unless people stop buying tabletop books (and there are no FLGSs anymore) don’t expect them to undercut the print market.
How would say a 25% price cut undercut the print market when Amazon already gives %37 off and buy.com gives about 43% off. Yeah, the fact that they have full price makes a lot on sense.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
sckeener said:
What does annoy me about drivethrurpg's offer of wotc books is the pdfs are still DRM. I can't stand DRM. I'd rather have watermarked.
That's a show stopper for me as well.

I refuse to buy any DRM stuff from DTR. I have no problems with watermarking, however. Once Necromancer products went to watermarked, I bought about $150 worth of stuff, so I have put my money where my mouth is.

sckeener

First Post
Nellisir said:
The price is less offputting to me than DRM. I'd consider buying a pdf version of the Spell Compendium at full (print) price just for the cut-n-paste ability, but not with DRM. So, no sale.

I'm not sure about all the PDFs, but I know that Fiend Folio does not allow copy&paste. It is very annoying.

sckeener

First Post
Cyberhawk said:
This would be a great idea for those books I was on the fence over (such as Heroes of Horror).

I that from your phrasing that you were on the fence and finally decided to get Heroes of Horror. It really is a great book. I highly recommend it in either PDF or hard copy.

Bobitron

Explorer
TheAuldGrump said:
Stupidly bad pricing + DRM = NO SALE

Same thing here. The pricing has to be maybe 50% of print retail and the book very useful for me to buy, but with DRM I'd even stay away then.

I love having stuff in print and pdf, so I'm the perfect customer for this. But I'll spend my money elsewhere until the WOTC pdf policies change.

Remove ads