• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Driving unreasonably fast (ticket rant)

The_lurkeR

First Post
I received a ticket on the way into work today. :mad:

I was on a backroad shortcut near my home, I take every day to avoid a major intersection.

The major roads of the intersection are busy with 2 to 4 lanes, has 4 lights, numerous driveways on and off for businesses and residences. It has a 40mph speed limit.

The road I was on is a 2 lane straightway, no lights, with no sparse driveways off and none of them blind. This road has a 25mph speed limit.

I take this road every day and I can't remember ever seeing a car drive 25 down this road. Does anyone drive 25 these days? You can run faster! It's all a big scam to make money, Insurance companies donate radar guns to local police so they can write more tickets and they both make money hand over fist! It's a financial bonanza!!!

Ok rant over :heh:

The_lurkeR

First Post
[cough] 54 [cough]

None the less it's a grave injustice!!!

Honestly everyone travels that road about 40-45'ish, (that's not just in my opinion, I've talked to others about it today) so I wouldn't be completely shocked if I did somehow hit 54 at peak, but I am surprised if that's true.

Crothian

First Post
did you just get a ticket for going fast or did they add on something like reckles s driving as well? round these aprts I think if you exceed the speed limit by 20 mph it is actually consider reckless driver and that is much more severe.

And I doubt you can run 25 mph, that's really fast to run. And I drive the speed limit, it really isn't that hard. But if "everyone" travels that road at that speed you can gather evidence and argue your ticket in court.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
The_lurkeR said:
No hills, but it does rise a bit in the direction I was traveling.

(wondering where Mark is leading...)

Just curious as to conditions.

And, if I am not mistaken, most of CT has been hovering around 32 degrees, a little over during midday/early afternoon with some chance of melting, and down in the low twenties at night causing some refreezing, is this correct?

Also, driveways? That means at least some residential? Possibly children?

The_lurkeR

First Post
Crothian said:
did you just get a ticket for going fast or did they add on something like reckles s driving as well? round these aprts I think if you exceed the speed limit by 20 mph it is actually consider reckless driver and that is much more severe.

The ticket is just for "Driving unreasonably fast". I checked the state laws online after, and it looks like they break it out like this...

If the speed limit is below 55mph, and you are over it, it's "Driving unreasonably fast".

If the speed limit is 55mph or above and you are over it, you are "Speeding". If you are 20mph+ over that you can be charged with "Reckless driving".

drothgery

First Post
Crothian said:
And I doubt you can run 25 mph, that's really fast to run.

For reference, that's about what an Olympic-medalist level sprinter averages in the 100 meters.

Crothian said:
And I drive the speed limit, it really isn't that hard.

In California, about the only thing that's safe to assume about the speed limit is that it has very little correlation with the speed traffic actually moves at -- which will be stop & go, 10-15 mph under the speed limit (if there's rain, which causes SoCal residents to panic), or 15+mph over the speed limit (given a long stretch of relatively clear highway). However, the California highway patrol apparently doesn't consider exceeding the speed limit to be an actual crime.

Remove ads