• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Driving unreasonably fast (ticket rant)

Darrin Drader

Explorer
The_lurkeR said:
It's all a big scam to make money, Insurance companies donate radar guns to local police so they can write more tickets and they both make money hand over fist! It's a financial bonanza!!!

I'm with you. Speed limits are a joke. People can be trusted to drive a reasonable speed given their surroundings and their vehicle's capabilities. I say we toss out all speed limit ordinances.

Algolei

Explorer
Whisperfoot said:
I'm with you. Speed limits are a joke. People can be trusted to drive a reasonable speed given their surroundings and their vehicle's capabilities. I say we toss out all speed limit ordinances.
Let me guess: You've "picked" apples by ramming the tree with your van, haven't you? :p

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
The_lurkeR said:
If the speed limit is below 55mph, and you are over it, it's "Driving unreasonably fast".

If the speed limit is 55mph or above and you are over it, you are "Speeding". If you are 20mph+ over that you can be charged with "Reckless driving".

That's weird as heck. It's not as bad to go 55 in a residential area as it is to go 75 in a 55 zone? Strange, strange.

I drive the speed limit. The assumption that everyone's going to be going above the speed limit is a constant irritation to me on the road. Speed limits need to be either enforced or changed to something reasonable; as is, it fosters an attitude that breaking little laws is fine, if you don't get caught. Not that people need that actively increased...

Ashwyn

First Post
Whisperfoot said:
I hear ya! It's not like anyone ever gets hurt by people going too fast. It's a conspiracy, man!!!

Panthanas

Explorer
The_lurkeR said:
Haven't decided on what to do about this one. I might try and get some leniency like you say, to get it reduced or something.

I know a few friends and family here in rural upstate NY that have had their speeding tickets reduced to "Failure to obey a traffic control device" i.e. the speed limit sign. It has reduced the fine greatly and isn't as bad of an infraction for insurance purposes. I don't know if that will help you in CT, but it might be worth looking into.

Turanil

First Post
The_lurkeR said:
It's all a big scam to make money, Insurance companies donate radar guns to local police so they can write more tickets and they both make money hand over fist! It's a financial bonanza!!!
Welcome to the real world! :D

JoeBlank

Explorer
One possibililty you do not seem to have considered: in some residential areas the speed limits are set low as a traffic control device. Even though it is possible for you to cut your trip short by using this road, the plan is for the majority of the traffic to be on the main road. The people who live on that road do not want it used as a shortcut, especially by people who might endanger their children.

I'm certainly do not want to be argumentative, but I live on a street like the one on which you were speeding. Although originally intended to be only a residential street, a few highway expansions in the area have turned it into a helpful shortcut. A few years ago, a few of us got together and petitioned to have speed humps installed. The county required a speed study to confirm the level of traffic and the percentage of speeders. Then, 80% of the residents had to agree to the speed humps, and to a small increase in our property taxes to pay for them. They help a little, but there are certainly still commuters who would rather deal with the humps than travel on the highway.

As others have suggested, contact the prosecutor's office and see if they will help you out. Do not go to court without talking to someone beforehand. The judges usually to not appreciate someone appearing to argue a speeding ticket, especially when you admit you were speeding but find the law unfair. They could end up adding on court fees to your fine.

Remove ads