• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Drizzt as a LG 8th Level Champion

Arial Black

Adventurer
IIRC, he was impossible to achieve by the rules. He had a special ability out of nowhere that if he exceeded the minimum needed to hit by five or more then he killed, or x5 damage, or something like that. I can't remember exactly, but it was unattainable by normal D&D rules.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Actually it's very much called for because it is my OPINION which I am entitled to. I post here because I can, I am a fan of D&D but there are key people in the organization that I do not like and key things in the organization that I also do not like.

And that's all fine.

But, note that when you created an account, you signed on to the rules. Rule #1 is "Keep it civil." Insulting people isn't civil.

We don't require you to praise D&D, or all people who work on it. You're perfectly allowed to dislike things and the work of particular designers, and say so, and say why. That's all cool. We just ask you to keep the rhetoric short of outright insults, because that's uncool.

I hope that's clear. If it isn't, or you have further questions, please take it to e-mail or PM with a member of the moderation staff. Thanks.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I for one approve giving realistic stats to literary characters when I model them. The trick is to ask what stats a character absolutely need to have in order to portray them accurately in the game.

So let's see...Drizzt is athletic, but also very small and light. Average human strength (10) is actually a little above average for someone his size. 19 Dex (starting at 17) sounds right. His most notable quality is his balance, speed, and agility. Consitution 14--he's tough; that's puts him in about the 85th percentile of humans (judging the mass of humanity on the bell curve created by the 3d6). Sounds about right. Intelligence might be a little low for a guy described as a good potential wizard, but the Int score also covers education, so Int 12 can accurately describe a bright person who shirks academics in favor of physical pursuits, like our boy here. Wisdom 14...again, sounds right. Guy is intuitive, strong willed, and a good judge of character--but not superhumanly so. He's definitely above average (85th percentile), but you can easily imagine people better than him in this regard. Charisma 11--he's a good looking guy, well liked by friends who nevertheless cannot overcome most people's instinctive prejudice against his race, and winds up in a lot of unnecessary fights because of it (he fails a lot of diplomacy checks). Charisma 11 actually sounds a little generous.

So I think these stats do a really good job of accurately describing the character whose adventures we've followed all these years, with an eye toward playability. I think it does a better job of capturing Drizzt than the ridiculously high physical stats given to him back in 3rd edition (somewhat of a carryover from 1st & 2nd edition where stat bonuses didn't even begin until 15, so anyone who appeared even marginally competent in a fictional work got modelled with multiple 18's) Fictional characters don't need those unplayable stats. They shouldn't be better than the characters PC's can make. They ought to be reasonable representations of the stuff PC's ought to be doing.

I mean, after all, isn't that the reason we play fantasy RPG's; to do the cool things that Raistlin and Gandalf and Elric and Conan get up to?

LOL!

No I'm afraid Perkins isn't even close. You do realize that 10-11 means average and not above average. That is why there is no minus or a plus. Drizzt was officially described as being handsome even by drow standards and has a finely toned body. You try wielding two weapons while doing back flips and somersaults with an "average" score.

All of those stats are perfectly reachable by other PC characters so I'm not sure why you even posted that. Have you actually played the game?

happyhermit

Adventurer
LOL!

No I'm afraid Perkins isn't even close. You do realize that 10-11 means average and not above average. That is why there is no minus or a plus. ... You try wielding two weapons while doing back flips and somersaults with an "average" score.

Whaaa? The Dex was not average in what I read, which seems to be what you are talking about.

All of those stats are perfectly reachable by other PC characters so I'm not sure why you even posted that. Have you actually played the game?

:confused: Did you actually read his post?

As for charisma, it is an amalgam of several factors, right? His "charm" seems to have failed him on more than a few people... (real world and not)

Last edited:

Valetudo

Adventurer
Charisma is not how you look so it doesnt matter how high or low it is in that regard. Me personally, I think his int should be switched with his wis.

pemerton

Legend
He is a perfectionist, in combat and in everything he does, striving to attain the highest standards within his code of
morality and self-discipline. Yet Drizzt is careful not to impose his personal standards upon others. Not sure why he decided lawful good when he is clearly Chaotic Good.
A perfectionist, in combat and in everything he does, striving to attain the highest standards within his code of morality and self-discipline. In D&D terms, that is a monk. Which is a class always associated with being Lawful, not Chaotic.

Remove ads