• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Drizzt as a LG 8th Level Champion

RotGrub

First Post
I recall someone mentioning that the author of the Drizz't books had no idea that Drizz't was in baldur's gate and that when he ran into him he immediately attacked him since he knew the items that he could get of him.

I still have fond memories of Jan using his wand of wonder and turning Wulfgar to stone. IMO, that's now canon.

Sacrosanct

Legend
All of those stats are perfectly reachable by other PC characters so I'm not sure why you even posted that. Have you actually played the game?

I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I think that's the point. I think Perkins used the existing chargen array/point buy rules everyone uses to recreate Drizzt, rather than in other editions where they just gave the Gary Stu uber values in every stat because Gary Stu.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I can't help but think a little of the Mary Sue rep Drizzt has is the ridiculously high stats he's always given in the official works, as well as the often just made up abilities he's often given (like the insta-death thing from, I think, 2nd edition)?

As written here though, I don't think he's out of line with any players beloved favorite PC. Every player character ought to be doing incredibly cool stuff like Drizzt, and the first way to reinforce that is the say "You see all that cool stuff he does? Those are the actions of a bog standard mid level character with decent but not overwhelming stats. Now go be just as awesome!

It wouldn't have bothered me if they'd toned down his magic items to go along with his stats...or, by this point in his story, he was depicted at higher level.

RotGrub

First Post
All this talk about "legal stats" makes me think that some people have completely forgotten about rolling for stats. Heck some one even tweeted Chris about Drizzt's stats not being legal as if every NPC must use the point buy system.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Yes, he could have rolled the great stats in 3e. But if somebody sits down at my table with a 13, a 15, a 14, and 3 17's that he "rolled", I'm gonna pass those back and ask him to roll again.

And assuming fictional characters have those improbably high stats reinforces the misapprehension that the characters they're reading about are better or more heroic than the characters are able to play in your average home game.

Sacrosanct

Legend
All this talk about "legal stats" makes me think that some people have completely forgotten about rolling for stats. Heck some one even tweeted Chris about Drizzt's stats not being legal as if every NPC must use the point buy system.

I agree that rolling is perfectly legal, but in cases of satting out heroes, stats aren't rolled. They are just given. I am positive in all the previous editions, they didn't roll for the stats for the heroes, but they were just assigned. I think Perkins used an actual legal system of stat gen for this version of Drizzt, which is why you don't see everything 15-20 like you do in previous editions.

RotGrub

First Post
Yes, he could have rolled the great stats in 3e. But if somebody sits down at my table with a 13, a 15, a 14, and 3 17's that he "rolled", I'm gonna pass those back and ask him to roll again.

And assuming fictional characters have those improbably high stats reinforces the misapprehension that the characters they're reading about are better or more heroic than the characters are able to play in your average home game.

What you are able to play is function of what the DM allows. If the DM wants characters that have really high stats he can do that buy selecting a rolling method or using a higher point buy. Heck, he might even let you pick your stats. Also many people don't have an issue with fictional characters being more powerful than the characters they are playing.

Corpsetaker

First Post
A perfectionist, in combat and in everything he does, striving to attain the highest standards within his code of morality and self-discipline. In D&D terms, that is a monk. Which is a class always associated with being Lawful, not Chaotic.
I'm afraid that's incorrect. You can be chaotic and have a code. Look at mercenaries. They are soldiers of fortune who follow the code of money. Look at two face from Batman. He relies on the flip of a coin but the outcomes can vary. If you read the books you will notice that Drizzt shows no mercy to Goblins and Orcs.

RotGrub

First Post
I'm afraid that's incorrect. You can be chaotic and have a code. Look at mercenaries. They are soldiers of fortune who follow the code of money. Look at two face from Batman. He relies on the flip of a coin but the outcomes can vary. If you read the books you will notice that Drizzt shows no mercy to Goblins and Orcs.

True, a code must be lawful for it to be applicable to a lawful character.

Remove ads